MORDAUNT-SHORT 302 AVANT bookshelves - are these any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen these on offer locally, and I was wondering if anyone here has heard them or know if they are any good or not?

They look pretty, but if the sound quality isn't there then I'll leave them.

FWIW, I was planning to use them with my computer, drive them with a AMP6 basic (2x20W) and maybe cross them over with a sub so I'd only need 100Hz+ from them. They are very small anyway, so I wouldn't expect any bass from them.

Also, do they have an Alu cone as it looks like it from the pic...

not an aluminium cone in the way you think of it, to all intents and purposes i think of it as just a finish they put on, they call it CPC (Continuous Profile Cone).
should be fine as PC speakers, but if they are going be listened to up close why do u need/want a sub?

i have heard heard them and for a pc they are fine, best described as inoffensive. not latest model and if they cost over £40 you could easily get better on ebay.

dont expect them to keep their value.

if you want one, iam sure 'what hifi' has done a more detailed review.

Well one of the reasons I wanted them is because they are so small... Space is at a premium around my computer area so these seem like a good size.

I want to use a sub with them as the specs say 100-20kHz, meaning if I use them on their own I will be missing all the things below 100Hz. I can always tuck the sub somewhere out the way and even use the PC for XO duties. I may pick a pair up in town tomorrow, they are going for £50 which seems pretty reasonable to me.

I could go the e-bay route but it's more hassle and sometimes speakers and I've known speakers to get damaged in the post...

I may pick up a pair when I'm in town tomorrow...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.