tuning below Fs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
If the volume of the box, (Vb) is larger than the Vas of the speaker, it is preferred that you tune below the Fs of the speaker. Thiele recommends several alignments where he does exactly that.

Such a speaker will have somewhat worse transient response than when the Vb is equal to or less than the Vas. However, it isn't so bad if you don't overdo it. Also, it is only appropriate where the Qts of the speaker is above .38.

Could you give us a link to the "NSB 4" page in the Parts Express website so we can take a better look at this? :)

I have tuned below the driver fs in all of my recent speaker projects. It can work very well. But I agree with the kelticwizard's advice not to overdo it.

Also a 1mm Xmax is also not a big problem if you do not push the driver to concert level volumes. For acoustic music at reasonable levels 1 mm of Xmax is fine.

An easy way to fix the loss in transient response is to make a dipole out of the enclosure. I've only tested this in subwoofers with crossovers set at 210 and 230 hz, so I don't know about the frequencies above that.

I made an "extended bass shelf" enclosure for 2 subs and was horrified by the crappy sound. Made it a dipole (that was a pain in the ***) and cleaned that sound up to the point where most people thought it sounded like a sealed enclosure, but with more than an octave of extra response!

But then you need extra drivers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.