crossover for coaxial speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a little help here...

Have set of speakers that I would like to build an even order all pass crossover (4th order Linkwitz-Riley)...

cannot figure out how to load image here... sorry... please see attached...

my question is this... need to pull back power off of the compression driver as it will only take about 25% of the power that the woofer will handle...
Where would I insert the resistors into this circuit...

would like this combination to be able to take the 1000 watts that the woofer can handle...

Thank you in advance...

Attachments

• circuit4.gif
    circuit4.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 411
To design a xover we need specs for each driver, in this case two drivers. First, to do some work, the main specs are the T/S specs, output in frequency graph, impedance in frequency graph (this data) for both drivers (coax). You can use the factory data sheets or you can measure them yourself with equipment for that effect.

If not, just for testing/experimenting with a resistor on the tweeter, you can use a variable Lpad (~100W). Or use just a resistor (impedance and % of power cut is needed then).

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-265

Attenuation Calculator for resistors:
http://www.troester.org/ls/lpad.html

jrazor said:
Just a little help here...

Have set of speakers that I would like to build an even order all pass crossover (4th order Linkwitz-Riley)...

cannot figure out how to load image here... sorry... please see attached...

my question is this... need to pull back power off of the compression driver as it will only take about 25% of the power that the woofer will handle...
Where would I insert the resistors into this circuit...

would like this combination to be able to take the 1000 watts that the woofer can handle...

Thank you in advance...

If thats a woofer and a compression driver then a simple crossover like that will not work very well. Compression drivers virtually always need some EQ as a result of the horn/waveguide attached to them. This EQ has to be accounted for in the crossover.

I put the resistive L-pad right at the driver because this make the impedance seen by filter much closer to resistive. A compression driver has anything but a simple imperdance curve and its loading can seriuosly screw up a paper layout crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.