B&W DM110 - Woofer sounds nasty, help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I think it's the voicecoil rubbing. It says BZ200 on the woofer unit (it was made in 1984).

I'm getting around 6ohms resistance on the voicecoil, so it's not cooked.

I think the voicecoil is rubbing on the magnet... Is there anyway of fixing this or is it replacement woofer time?:(

meanman1964 said:
Try with pushing the cone as high as you can.
I can actually get the voicecoil to come out if I push it high enough...

It's definately rubbing, I think because the cone it slightly at the wrong angle... If I push down the cone in a certain direction it's smooth.

I've managed to stretch the spider a little and it sounds better as it's now pulling it towards the proper angle...

Is there a proper way of doing this or is there a little trial and error involved?

i have come across drivers where this has occured because gravity and time have taken their toll on the driver, if the problem is solved by turning the driver 180 degrees on it's mounting then i would suggest that is the easiest solution.

if this doesnt work, by far the easiest next course would be to source some replacements from ebay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.