back after a long time - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2008, 05:34 AM   #1
amo is offline amo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default back after a long time

hi guys, at one point i got very deep into this hobby at the expense of some important things, i am sure many here can i dentify with this... the great part is that that I got to learn so many amazing things about audio, and i feel like i gained a level of expertese that i would not trade.

That said, i do have a very important questions, and i hope that many of you will not frown upon it.

I am building a system, right now with minimal DIY components, and mostly off the shelf, nontheless, I am hoping to get some assistents from the true pros.

Requirement 1: The sourse are originaly mastered traks stored in WAV (uncompresses) on a PC at 16 bits at 1411 kbps (Red Book). I do not want to go into great details on the PC, but rest assured that it is assembled with audio reproduction in mind, with little expense speared. The only part I will mention is the EMU 1212M PCI card which is now only 150 USD, and has some GREAT components, will do a great job seperating the noisy PC environment from the output stage, and of course, has all balanced outputs, not to mention "Mastering grade 24-bit/192kHz converters - the same A/D converters used in Digidesign's flagship ProTools HD 192 I/O Interface delivering an amazing 120dB signal-to-noise ratio".

Enough with that. the second requirement is that the system will mostly be used to play house music. Before you stop reading, keep the following in mind: house is not what it used to be. it used complex patterns and combinations throughout the entire frequency range, including lots of detail in the mids and midbass, and of course serious bass all the way down.

The third requirement is that in needs great dynamic range. I need to be able to hear all the detail at a low volume, but have the capability to crank the system up for some great dynamic swings.

From what I have learned here, time allignment and phase alignment may not be the most important elements in such a system. After all, there is no sound stage to speak of, and stereo seperation is just for the effect of it.

The system will consist of up to 5 or 6 identical high output "full range" systems, each amplified seperately, and of course one or two fairly serious subs up to 2 15's or 18's.

That said, there is the delema: There are some great sounding studio monitors capable of hight output, that do not sound to icy cold, but have some "welcome" wormth from the amp section. I am thinking the new Mackies. These have a rear mounted passive radiator which provide bass extention to 35 HZ on a 2 way 8 inch system, where the high and the low end have seperate decent amps. I know passive radiators are hated here, but I am thinking that A for the type of material i am playing the phase of the base will be irrelevent, and 2 I may be able to cross them at 40 or 50 HZ to the sub and not have the passive radiator mess with me too much. Of course the sub uses a 15 and a 15 passive radiator

The alternate solution is to place 5 or 6 B&W 600 series 3-way towers, each driven with a AudioSourse (non-chip) amp going bridged. and some matching subs.

The BW system will cost more, but the Audio sourse amps may sound better. The midrange will be great from the new FST drivers they are now using.

Makie set up will be the same, but I am not married to that brand, and it may be KRK or whatever sounds good.

Please help!!! do I care about time and phase alignment? I want the female and male vocals to be impechable. I dont want to spend ATC prices. Unfortunately I cant afford all Class A amps and tubes/ ribbons may or may not cut it for this type of material.

My dream has always been to build an all active system using behringer or similar and tons of amps using high end drivers. Maybe in a few years......
Old 30th April 2008, 10:15 PM   #2
amo is offline amo  United States
diyAudio Member

The JBL monitors sound great. Some PLEASE help!
Old 30th April 2008, 11:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you should break down your requirements into specific questions/threads, then people here will be happy to help.

I must admit that I did not finish reading your initial post - too much waffle.

Sorry. This is just my advice. In my experience here, if you ask too many questions at once you will not get a useful answer.

Good luck with whatever you are trying to achieve.

Hide this!Advertise here!