An HPM 100 for the new millennium - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2008, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default An HPM 100 for the new millennium

Greetings, As much as I love the delicate sound and imaging specificity of mini monitors or the breathtaking dynamics of statement floor standers which need a forklift to move, I miss the old school monitors of yore. Small enough for one person to move about(If strong of back!) yet large enough to have a dynamic ease which mini monitors can only dream of. Pioneers HPM100s or Sony's SSU1800s spring to mind as templates for this project. I know that one was a JBL Century clone(Pioneer's HPM series speakers were in fact designed by ex JBL boys!) and the other was a shameless AR3 knockoff. Although neither of these speakers were the last word in tonal accuracy, both could boogie till your ears bled! ATC and PMC have proven that with up to date drivers and crossover design you can boogie accurately. Unfortunately I do not have fourteen to twenty grand to brighten up some high end audio dealers day. IM thinking of a big sealed monkey coffin four way stuffed with a Parts Express rs series sub powered by a plate amp crossed over to a SEAS w15ch-001 mid, a peerless HDS tweeter and a fountech ribbon. I want to build the box out of heavily braced ply with grab handles on the side. I want to style the speakers to look as much as possible like a 1964 Fender tonemaster guitar amp.
Old 27th April 2008, 04:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

heres a photo of the Fender Tonemaster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7b_1.jpg (21.7 KB, 124 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!