Testing Speaker Frequency and Efficiency(SPL)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a bunch of vintage speakers, of which I have no Idea how to match up with each other. I am referring not only to woofers, but misrange and tweater as well.

Unfortunatly, I have no idea as to how to generate a signal that will show a graph, and how efficient that signal happens to be. What will do this for me?

That way I will be able to match up the speakers in order to ge the best system.

Can anyone help me here?

There are several ways to test loudspeaker frequency response.
One involves a low value resistor (one ohm or less) and the
other uses a high value resistor (turns your amp into a current source).

You will also need a SPL meter if you want to know SPL, otherwise
this test will yield an impedance at each frequency. All values will
be free air.

You will need a tone generator. . .there are some available for
free on the internet.

Sorry, I cut my finger and can't type right now. . . more later

John L said:
I currently have a bunch of vintage speakers, of which I have no Idea how to match up with each other. I am referring not only to woofers, but misrange and tweater as well.

Unfortunatly, I have no idea as to how to generate a signal that will show a graph, and how efficient that signal happens to be. What will do this for me?

That way I will be able to match up the speakers in order to ge the best system.

Can anyone help me here?

Hi John L,
I hope gni gets better to give us his insight. I just want to post that the WT3 Audio Tester from PE might help you here.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=390-804
having in mind that's not for dB measuring (with mic and another software, for that you can look at TrueRTA and Mic in the bottom or in another page).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.