A.O.S - Any experience?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi musiclovers! :)

I recently fell in love.. with a speaker called A.O.S STUDIO 100 TL - ATC. I haven't heard it though, so this might seem a bit wrong, but I have a huge fascination of TL-speakers. And this is a TL! ;)

http://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/english/mainE.html

Has anybody heard this one, or one of the other sold by A.O.S? It's costly, but seems to be a good construction..

Best regards for a drewling noob.. :rolleyes:

If you contact Axel at AOS (great guy), he can put you in touch with customers who act as demo points. There are not any in Norway at the moment, but you can email any of them for opinions and descriptions. If you decide to go ahead with this, you can choose to act as a demo point yourself and receive a useful 20% discount.

I built the Studio 12XL. It was top quality.

AOS STUDIO 100 XL kits

I’m looking for transmission line speakers to replace my IMF TLS50’s and considered the A.O.S. STUDIO 100 XL kits

I have not had the chance to listen to these built. If anyone can offer a comment especially those who have got/heard transmission lines or owners of the STUDIO 100 XL.
:whazzat:

Hi musiclovers! :)

I recently fell in love.. with a speaker called A.O.S STUDIO 100 TL - ATC. I haven't heard it though, so this might seem a bit wrong, but I have a huge fascination of TL-speakers. And this is a TL! ;)

http://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/english/mainE.html

Has anybody heard this one, or one of the other sold by A.O.S? It's costly, but seems to be a good construction..

Best regards for a drewling noob.. :rolleyes:
link not working?
And if you didn't hear these what did you fall in love with?
Good day,

STUDIO 100 TL

I have purchased the A.O.S STUDIO 100 TL XL kit from Axel 18 months ago and built them in here Australia (not Austria).
Before buying I did not have the opportunity to hear them. I made my decision based on Axel’s knowledge, history and understanding of TL’s from way back and from an owner of and earlier model of the STUDIO 100 TL in the UK.

I own a pair of IMF TLS50’s and wanted a faster TL speaker with more power handling (6db). I got more than I wanted they sound fantastic. Fast and detailed with that beautiful open TL base sound. I run a good 250 watt amp that does very well but the speakers will perform better with more power/control.

The XL has the ScanSpeak R2904/700000 tweeter with the modified rectangular faceplate. The crossover was the series with the upgraded Clarity capacitors.

There are new designs using the ATC midrange and a concentric ScanSpeak tweeter midrange on the German website (no English yet) Scan-Speak

Good luck in your pursuits - Full Octave

I helped Full Octave build his AOS Transmission lines from Axel's kit and had another listen last night (beer provided).

The AOS have a really controlled output and not subject to the "midrange flaring" that I often hear on other systems. Where they really shine is in how they handle complex passages and of course the effortless bass.

Construction is moderately complex so set aside plenty of time (maybe a winter project?) and do not skimp on the designers recommendations.

Specs have the sensitivity around 90dB @ 1 watt / 1 metre and they can take heaps of power. They were running on a stereo Nmos350 delivering around 240 watts per channel (8 ohms) and are currently running on a Bryston with slightly more power while the Nmos gets upgraded.

If you can part with the coin and have time then I fully recommend them.

Full Octave took some photo's during the construction so with sufficient begging may post here.

Cheers
Quasi

Last edited:
I have purchased the A.O.S STUDIO 100 TL XL kit from Axel 18 months ago and built them in here Australia (not Austria).
Before buying I did not have the opportunity to hear them. I made my decision based on Axel’s knowledge, history and understanding of TL’s from way back and from an owner of and earlier model of the STUDIO 100 TL in the UK.

I own a pair of IMF TLS50’s and wanted a faster TL speaker with more power handling (6db). I got more than I wanted they sound fantastic. Fast and detailed with that beautiful open TL base sound. I run a good 250 watt amp that does very well but the speakers will perform better with more power/control.

The XL has the ScanSpeak R2904/700000 tweeter with the modified rectangular faceplate. The crossover was the series with the upgraded Clarity capacitors.

There are new designs using the ATC midrange and a concentric ScanSpeak tweeter midrange on the German website (no English yet) Scan-Speak

Good luck in your pursuits - Full Octave

Do not suppose you live in Melbourne ?

Attachments

• _NOR0062.jpg
    _NOR0062.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 414
  • _NOR0002.jpg
    _NOR0002.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 386
  • _NOR0004.jpg
    _NOR0004.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 437
Paul the kit is priced at the A.O.S site and I’m located in Adelaide.
http://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/pdf/preise/AOSPL122010KIT.pdf

Definately a nice job , so what exactly did you get in the kit ?

And did you make the cabinets yourself or get a cabinet maker to do them (or what did it cost you to build them it looks like you would want to use a computer aided cutter for those nice tolerances) and if so what did he charge you to build them ?

It is a shame you are located in Adelaide would love to have heard them I would expect they are all you hoped for sound wise ?

P.S.thanks for the photo's :)

I built a pair of these TL's as subs only using the ATC woofer ages ago. Built them for someone else mated to their ESL speakers. Had lots of difficulty over the years finding a woofer system that sounded like it was keeping up with ESL's and this finally did it.

I think I spoke with FullOctave about this beofre he went ahead with the project. Perhaps Axel O gave him my contact details. Nice to see you pulled it off and are happy with the results :)

Obviously I can't comment on the complete full range speaker, but with the excellent driver lineup and a decent crossover, it had a chance at least of sounding pretty good. I can comment on the ATC woofer in that TL enclosure though. It's a very clean and fast performer indeed and gives the impression of low distortion. Sounds like a good start or foundation for the rest of the speaker.

I finally got to hear the complete AOS 100TL at Full Octave's place last year, thanks to his kind invitation. He did a great job of the finished product and I was very impressed with the sound of the speaker. Lovely natural detail without sounding too thin and lean like many other speakers. The tonality of the mids was really good, thanks mainly to the Scanspeak driver, and the bass was really clean and extended. Would recommend this speaker to anyone who likes full range sound with effortlessness.

I'll add to my last post, I listened to some Usher Be 10 speakers (> US$17k) around the same time in a system that had excellent ancillary equipment and have to admit I greatly preferred the AOS 100TL's I heard. They were much better in all respects, such as cohesiveness, drive, and tonality, except save for the ultra clean trebles the Usher diamond tweeter reproduced, but this wasn't anywhwere near enough to compensate for other facets of the sound compared with the AOS, at much less cost! Mind you, you have to build the AOS yourself, which is not daunting really, as all plans are provided in detail.
As expensive as the Ushers are, they left me feeling cool about the sound and lack of musical involvement. The berylium mid driver sounds too sterile and lacks scale and drive, whereas the AOS had no problems in that area, and the bass was also clearly superior in control, extension and speed. I didn't care much for the bass of the Ushers. ......FWIW, just some some notes on the 2 compared to show how well the AOS worked.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.