Tweeters for line array?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Some of you might have read about my project in the old "which loudspeaker design?" thread, where I decided to go for the line array design.

This far the mid-array is finished and is up and running together with single tweeters, and the bass cabinets are under construction.

Meanwhile I am having second thoughts regarding the tweeters. I was very curious about long diy magnetostatic ribbons, so much I even bought a bunch of neodymium magnets. Now I find time and build-space being a problem and start to consider an array of dome tweeters or short ribbons instead, to make it all a little easier.

The Dayton ND20FB or ND20FA seem to be popular choices.
Are there any other small tweeters out there worth considering or are these the only suitable?
Or perhaps any ribbon tweeters reasonably priced?

For info; I use a 6 channel surround amp in stereo with 3 amps per speaker, and a Behringer DCX2496 active filter, so steep filter slopes and varying driver sensitivity should not be any problem.

Please comment!

/Magnus

Attachments

• array2.jpg
    array2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 528
frequency

Yes, I have seen those as well, but from what frequency can they be used? I have 83 mm c-c mid woofer distance and can't go too high with them because of comb filtering.

Can a lower tweeter frequency be used with wave guides?

How is their sound quality? Mylar membranes?

/Magnus

...Can a lower tweeter frequency be used with wave guides?...

Yes, almost down to fs if active filters are used but the Apex tweeters are IMO only usable, without dispersion lenses, with M drivers less or equal 2" in diameter, i.e. a total c-c of 25.4mm+19 mm = 44.4 mm and XO-ed at 4 kHz resulting in a horizontal coverage of max. 30 degrees, (at - 3dB points). See picture 1(2)

b

Attachments

• apexjr-and- 2in mdriver.gif
    apexjr-and- 2in mdriver.gif
    81.6 KB · Views: 440
Hello,

I have built 3 meter line arrays using 4.5" HM100CO Audax drivers and Audax small dome tweeters. I am now upgrading to the BG NEO8 PDR (available from parts express) with an open baffle. The NEO8 PDR's sound much better than the domes IMHO. Just buy 4 or 6 and give it a try on a small open baffle. You will be supprised how great and natural they sound. Don't put them in an enclosure. I did, and they do not sound anywhere as good.

I am now upgrading my HT to open baffle with 12 Silverflute W17RC38 (6.5") and 9 NEO8 PDR's per side.:D

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-713

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.