Building my own portable speaker system... HELP!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2008, 09:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Building my own portable speaker system... HELP!!!

Bear with me here and thanks for even looking. I want to build my own speaker system that is portable, something like the ipod ones, but my own rendition. To begin I have two speakers already, they're Sony Xplod XS-R1641, here's the specs from the sticker on the back;

4Way Speaker
Peak Power: 220W
Rated Power: 45W
Impedance: 4 ohms
6.5"

Those are the speakers that I have, I want to add one or two lower range speakers, coaxial I think they're called, right? to the system. But seeing as how I have the two sonys already I will need to restrict my amplifier to those specs. Now, I've studied all of this in physics but never really applied it to a real-life situation. When I buy my amplifier, do I want the wattage per channel to be just under the peak power or rms power? What's the deal with the ohms? I want this whole system to run off of batteries and last a day at the beach. Is that all possible or too much to ask? I was hoping to touch it all up by putting it in a plexiglass case, probably an 8" x 8" x 8" case. I want to put a simple amplifier in it, but my real question is that whole mix up with what amperage to use per channel. Knowing what I have here could one of you brilliant audio techs recommend the rest of my setup. I already know where to get the plexiglass, unless you recommend a different material. But in respect to the sonys I already own what kind of coaxial speaker(s) should I get and which amplifier?

Here is something I found on eBay that I thought might work;

eBay amplifier

Is it too powerful, too weak? Or whatever anyone out there recommends. Thanks for all of your help, I really think audio is a neat field, just need an avenue by which to learn more.
Thanks again,
-Steve
Old 21st April 2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Building my own portable speaker system... HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by audiomansteve
Bear with me here

> that's what we're here for

Those are the speakers that I have, I want to add one or two lower range speakers, coaxial I think they're called, right?

> you might be talking woofers? You need more bass? Bass speakers are called woofers

When I buy my amplifier, do I want the wattage per channel to be just under the peak power or rms power?

> No. it's safer in the long run to have an amp that has more power than the speakers can handle. That might sound wrong but it's not actually. A speaker can be damaged by an amp trying to deliver too much power to the speaker.

What's the deal with the ohms?

> They are the sneaky devils, that if there are not enough, will cause your amp to overheat. The amp you are looking at is OK with a 2 ohm load. That means you can run two set's of 4 ohm speakers off of it without a problem. Maybe even 2 sets of 2 ohms, although I've never been a fan of low impedance.

I want this whole system to run off of batteries and last a day at the beach. Is that all possible or too much to ask?

> Have to ask the power guys. There are amps out there that make good use of power so won't drain the batteries as quickly but I'm not an amp guy so you'll have to wait for someone else's answer.

I was hoping to touch it all up by putting it in a plexiglass case, probably an 8" x 8" x 8" case. I want to put a simple amplifier in it, but my real question is that whole mix up with what amperage to use per channel.

> The case is up to you. Just don't make it airtight as things need to breathe to stay cool. Also what do you mean amperage per channel?

Knowing what I have here could one of you brilliant audio techs recommend the rest of my setup. I already know where to get the plexiglass, unless you recommend a different material. But in respect to the sonys I already own what kind of coaxial speaker(s) should I get and which amplifier?

> I don't think you want coaxials. That means two speakers on the same axis. I am guessing you want woofers.

Here is something I found on eBay that I thought might work;

eBay amplifier

Is it too powerful, too weak? Or whatever anyone out there recommends. Thanks for all of your help, I really think audio is a neat field, just need an avenue by which to learn more.

> That amps look like it would do the job but I wonder about the batteries.

Old 22nd April 2008, 04:26 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...roject=Podzuma

/sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!