A prayer, a plead, a child, a newcomer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Modern audio is a lot like the ocean, from my perspective.

You set foot in it, taken aback by the chill of the water, but slowly adapt to the temperature and come to love it.

You go out deeper, into the wading grounds, at times underwhelmed and at times set back by a stray wave.

And then you wander out even further, fall off the continental shelf, and you drop off thousands of feet to the bottom of the sea floor.

But then you realize that as you descend, your surroundings become more and more beautiful; little nuances of the ambiance take on entirely new meanings that you've only read about in works by the so-called fanatics.

I believe that I have one foot remaining on the shelf, and the other hanging over the seeming abyss.

I believe that anyone can wire together a number of manufactured components into an amazingly high quality speaker system, take measurements of said components, and train their ears to the subtleties of each component- this is the wading ground.

But what about building those components? Taking the plunge into the apparently endless information that can only result in what you found at the start of your trek into the world of audio, only built by your own hand?

I have a goal.

It is by no means an especially meritable or commendable one; however it is a goal nonetheless.

The blunt outline of said goal is that I want to build my own speakers.

The further aspects of this goal is to incorporate it in some way or other with my computer's sound card.

I have done a fair share of research into the matter, on this forum and other places (thanks to all who posted their successful [and unsuccessful] projects!), and everything at once is overwhelming...the terminology, the graphs, the schematics, the Linkwitz-Riley vs Butterworth vs the other thing which I fail to recall, et cetera. It is certainly intimidating to a high school freshman!

But I remain enthusiastic, because I truly believe endeavors of this nature to be worthwhile.

Anyway, here is an outline of my (hopefully summer, so as to keep me from withering away into nothing) plan:

1) Build the "best possible" degree of speakers that can sit pleasantly on my desk; the maximum woofer size that I see myself using is 7-8", and there would only be a single woofer and tweeter with regard to space. A subwoofer sitting next to my feet is plausible, but I'm unsure of it.

2) Ideally, the amplifier would be integrated with the hypothetical subwoofer (perhaps a Keiga from Madisound?).

3) Replace the capacitors on the sound card, to achieve far better than what Creative can produce. (This is for later.)

To most on this forum, I'm sure that a project like this is very doable. To me...it may be possible, but only with your help. :)

Some specifics:

a) Due to the proximity to my computer and monitor, I am looking into shielded parts: from what I have read, it seems that the Focal 6W4311B and Aurum Cantus [second smallest] ribbon tweeter would suit my needs. Will the combination of these two components work well at a 3kHz crossover?

b) Financially, it seems as if a passive crossover would suit my "budget" (three cheers for a nonexistent income!); however I have virtually no idea how to select the correct capacitors and inductors for said crossover. In fact, I really don't know much on this matter save the bare basics, e.g. function, concept, et cetera. What type of crossover network should I use? Linkwitz-Riley, Butterworth, or what? Need I incorporate a Zobel [thing]? The whole business hurts my head, quite frankly...

While I have used the "crossover calculators," from reading here it seems that there are a number of other things that need to be considered. Could anyone offer some help when it comes to capacitor/inductor selection?

c) I have done much reading on dipole speakers versus monopole. At such near field listening (the speakers being no more than three feet away), will there be any difference in perceptible sound between a closed enclosure vs an open baffle?

These are all the questions I have for the moment...any input with regard to the viability of this plan, or anything, for that matter, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still incredibly new to this field, and would very much like to learn more as well as improve my current computer speakers (a pair of M-Audio AV40's...).

At the moment, I'm still formulating a basic plan. Summer seems like forever and a day away...

Thanks again for your time!

~brian

Your plan is completely reasonable and sounds like a great project for an interested beginner.

My best advice to you is to build a proven design from a well regarded diy'er. This may not seem as exotic as you wish it to be right now, but these designs have become popular for a reason, they are good.

The design I've found which best matches your requirements is this one : http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker19.html

Look at it this way: if you build this and still decide to build something more exotic later; you will at least have a known reference that has already been tested and measured by a good designer.

Regards,
David

For an amplifier; the fastest, least expensive, and most reliable way to get one is to get a used one from family, friend, thrift store, or ebay. [in that order]

Chipamps are popular, as are T-amps. I have not seen one yet that costs less than a used amp would cost you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.