Discussion arising from Geddes loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Comments on Unity Horn--Unity Waveguide

LineSource said:
Mr Geddes,

Have you studied Tom Danley's Unity Horn enough to present a technical summary of the value and issues?

Would a Unity Waveguide have superior performance to the flat sided CD horns Mr. Danley produces? Would your foam lining help Unity horns or waveguides?
I'm interested in this, too, probably worth an new (or different existing) thread. My gut feeling says that the impedance breaks arising from cutouts etc for the MF/LF drivers in the walls along the horn/WG expansion will disturb proper HF waveguiding quite a bit...

- Klaus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

gedlee said:

In these forums this is a real problem. I for one am not about to go out and take data to prove a point that I make here - its just not going to happen. If I have data, then I will quote it, but I won't create it. These places are for fun, not work.

And this is what makes them so dangerous. Its easy to shut me up with a barage of posts, I'm simply not going to respond. What is the reader to conclude? - all too often the appearance is one of concession to the contrary points made, which need not be the case at all.

This leads to a tremendous propagation of misinformation by the shear weight of the posts and not by any science or relavance. It then becomes difficult to correct these misconceptions because the previous falty arguments are raised as "proof".

I'm not sure that the truth ever gets through on these long winded arguments.

Over on another post, I alluded to the idea that the voice coil will heat instantaneously and this could be what we hear as "dynamics" differences in tweeters. Then someone posted some very well done mathematical analysis of the situation and showed that this was unlikely to be an audible effect. End of discussion.

If the discussion goes on and on its usually because it is pointless and going nowhere.
Lots of your posts have inspired many ideas that I wish to explore. Just hope I get through with all of them.

:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

soongsc said:

I think if they have actually done the research........................asking for proof are really just asking others to do work for them.

gedlee said:

In these forums this is a real problem. I for one........................because it is pointless and going nowhere.

HEAR, HEAR! No truer words spoken on any forum I've browsed/posted to IMO, so these two posts minus the OT tweeter comment ought to be added as a preamble to any contentious thread such as this one as a warning of sorts.

OT: Please provide the post link to the tweeter 'proof'.

TIA,

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2007

GM said:

HEAR, HEAR! No truer works spoken on any forum I've browsed/posted to IMO, so these two posts minus the OT tweeter comment ought to be added as a preamble to any contentious thread such as this one as a warning of sorts.

OT: Please provide the post link to the tweeter 'proof'.

TIA,

GM

Turn the forum into a blog, where the experts in the field will tell us all how it is, without fear of opposing opinions.
Much better that way - no room for free thought.

Re: Re: Comments on Unity Horn--Unity Waveguide

Mr Geddes,

Have you studied Tom Danley's Unity Horn enough to present a technical summary of the value and issues?

Would a Unity Waveguide have superior performance to the flat sided CD horns Mr. Danley produces? Would your foam lining help Unity horns or waveguides?

KSTR said:
I'm interested in this, too, probably worth an new (or different existing) thread. My gut feeling says that the impedance breaks arising from cutouts etc for the MF/LF drivers in the walls along the horn/WG expansion will disturb proper HF waveguiding quite a bit...

- Klaus

I would be glad to discuss this, I have before, but I won't do it in this tread. Please start one anew.

I always continue to learn. I just finished a book on General Relativity and am now reading one on Organic Chemistry. Its all my research that keeps me from answering posts that are not constructive.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

MJL21193 said:

Turn the forum into a blog, where the experts in the field will tell us all how it is, without fear of opposing opinions.

I'm looking forward to the new software. I think this will be part of that. I prefer to approach things in a blog style manner because you can put all sorts of random rubbish into them and have it in one place. If someone is interested in what your doing then they look at that and it doesn't clutter up the forums.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
dlr said:

Please point us to the reliable source that proves his contention that MDF is totally unsuitable for boxes.

Dave

I missed this. To clear up: I wasn't referring to his opinion on MDF. I don't agree with this and have said so several times.
I was taking about bracing and his method of box construction in particular.

Edited to remove a billion "re:"'s from the subject line

MJL21193 said:

I missed this. To clear up: I wasn't referring to his opinion on MDF. I don't agree with this and have said so several times.
I was taking about bracing and his method of box construction in particular.

Yeah, I should've posted a general post, yours prompted my thoughts on it. Of course, Dave's take seems to be far from an indication of preference. The problem is, however, that there's not data to support it being much other than preference. I'm still wondering where Dave (planet10) gets data to make the early comment:

"MDF just seems to suck the life out of a speaker." There would indeed have to be some significant issues for this to be the case. "suck the life out" must without question be measurable as to where it's sucking it out, whatever that means in the real world. I'd just like to see some objective support for the obviously subjective statements.

The measurements linked earlier that showed actual tests, to my eyes, directly refute any significant differences in the resonant nature of panels with the same dimensions. This goes directly to Dave's contention that BB is superior to MDF where he uses an argument about raising resonance through bracing to make resonances controllable. The error is in the contradiction to measured resonances that show there to be little difference between BB and MDF.

Add to that the fact that both BB and MDF will show raised resonances for the same bracing and I see no evidence to support one as superior to the other. It's all preference.

Dave

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

MJL21193 said:
Explain to me how a 200Hz tone will excite a 500Hz resonance?

Seems we're all missing posts.

A 200hz stimulus has energy that propogates through the cabinet material. The material and its resonances are excited by energy acting upon and travelling through it even if the stimulus isn't centered on the resonance peaks.

Think of it in a not completely dissimilar fashion to this - Hit a tuning fork and it sings right? Did you hit it with a frequency that directly corresponded with its tuning? No, the energy transferred to it was enough alone to excite its natural resonance.

At least this is how I remember things. Anyone care to correct or elaborate?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007

ShinOBIWAN said:

Seems we're all missing posts.

A 200hz stimulus has energy that propogates through the cabinet material. The material and its resonances are excited by energy acting upon and travelling through it even if the stimulus isn't centered on the resonance peaks.

Think of it in a not completely dissimilar fashion to this - Hit a tuning fork and it sings right? Did you hit it with a frequency that directly corresponded with its tuning? No, the energy transferred to it was enough alone to excite its natural resonance.

At least this is how I remember things. Anyone care to correct or elaborate?

Make that tuning fork resonate with a tone different from it's tuning frequency.

When you mechanically strike something, the energy imparted is not at a single frequency.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
dlr said:

"MDF just seems to suck the life out of a speaker." There would indeed have to be some significant issues for this to be the case. "suck the life out" must without question be measurable as to where it's sucking it out, whatever that means in the real world. I'd just like to see some objective support for the obviously subjective statements.

The measurements linked earlier that showed actual tests, to my eyes, directly refute any significant differences in the resonant nature of panels with the same dimensions.

My own crude tests show this also. The cone output from each box was nearly identical, as was the side panel output.
I think if there was an audible difference, the mic would have easily picked it up.

Attachments

• combo.gif
    combo.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 370
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
A tuning folk will resonate when excited by a tone the same as it's tuning frequency. A different tone will not do this. Like the wine glass doesn't suffer from destructive oscillation when there is loud music playing.

I just did a little experiment. I have a pair of speakers built in Dave's method - very well braced, undamped panels made completely from Baltic birch plywood. I connected a function generator to it. I used a jerry-rigged accelerometer (4"midrange diver) and connected this to my scope.

Strongest output from the box was around the tuning frequency of the box ( It's a small TL, but given the driver used it would be around 80Hz.)
There was another visible resonance at around 1300Hz, but it was 1/10th the amplitude of the lower one.

Once again, these are crude experiments. I lack an accelerometer, so I improvised.

Results: higher resonance was not excited by the lower frequency input to the box. The only thing that excited this resonance was the direct input of that single tone, and still it was very minor.
Not audible to me either (and yes, I had my hearing aid in).

MJL21193 said:

I hadn't really thought of it in these terms, but when I go looking for complex tech info I tend to limit my research to what well respected pros and experienced DIYers have to say, so I guess all things considered, some form of this works for me WRT the more technical aspects of the electrical, acoustical, structural engineering that's required to design high performance sound systems.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
A tuning folk will resonate when excited by a tone the same as it's tuning frequency. A different tone will not do this.

If you don't think that is true try this experiment:

The speaker will be driven by the frequency generator at the frequency of the tuning fork. After the speaker has been on for a few seconds, it will be turned off, and the tuning fork will be 'humming' at this pitch. This is because the natural, or resonant frequency, was matched, and drove the fork to oscillation. The louder the speaker is driven, the greater an amplitude the tuning fork will have. A similar demo can be shown using two tuning forks of the same frequency. After one is struck and left to oscillate, next to the other one, it should be stopped. The other will be left again, oscillating at their natural frequency.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.