Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Discussion arising from Geddes loudspeaker
Discussion arising from Geddes loudspeaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2008, 04:18 PM   #301
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Comments on Unity Horn--Unity Waveguide

Quote:
Originally posted by LineSource
Mr Geddes,

Have you studied Tom Danley's Unity Horn enough to present a technical summary of the value and issues?

Would a Unity Waveguide have superior performance to the flat sided CD horns Mr. Danley produces? Would your foam lining help Unity horns or waveguides?
I'm interested in this, too, probably worth an new (or different existing) thread. My gut feeling says that the impedance breaks arising from cutouts etc for the MF/LF drivers in the walls along the horn/WG expansion will disturb proper HF waveguiding quite a bit...

- Klaus
Old 27th April 2008, 04:21 PM   #302
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

No politics please Tinitus. You know the rules.

Between politics and nonsense, I'd choose politics. That is not as irritating.
Old 27th April 2008, 04:23 PM   #303
ShinOBIWAN is offline ShinOBIWAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
Between politics and nonsense, I'd choose politics. That is not as irritating.
Is there really a valid distinction between politics and nonsense?
Old 27th April 2008, 04:24 PM   #304
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

In these forums this is a real problem. I for one am not about to go out and take data to prove a point that I make here - its just not going to happen. If I have data, then I will quote it, but I won't create it. These places are for fun, not work.

And this is what makes them so dangerous. Its easy to shut me up with a barage of posts, I'm simply not going to respond. What is the reader to conclude? - all too often the appearance is one of concession to the contrary points made, which need not be the case at all.

This leads to a tremendous propagation of misinformation by the shear weight of the posts and not by any science or relavance. It then becomes difficult to correct these misconceptions because the previous falty arguments are raised as "proof".

I'm not sure that the truth ever gets through on these long winded arguments.

Over on another post, I alluded to the idea that the voice coil will heat instantaneously and this could be what we hear as "dynamics" differences in tweeters. Then someone posted some very well done mathematical analysis of the situation and showed that this was unlikely to be an audible effect. End of discussion.

If the discussion goes on and on its usually because it is pointless and going nowhere.
Lots of your posts have inspired many ideas that I wish to explore. Just hope I get through with all of them.

Old 27th April 2008, 04:27 PM   #305
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN

Is there really a valid distinction between politics and nonsense?

Is there a way to organize the "Smilies" to personal preference of order?
Old 27th April 2008, 04:59 PM   #306
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc

I think if they have actually done the research........................asking for proof are really just asking others to do work for them.
Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

In these forums this is a real problem. I for one........................because it is pointless and going nowhere.
HEAR, HEAR! No truer words spoken on any forum I've browsed/posted to IMO, so these two posts minus the OT tweeter comment ought to be added as a preamble to any contentious thread such as this one as a warning of sorts.

OT: Please provide the post link to the tweeter 'proof'.

TIA,

GM
Old 27th April 2008, 05:00 PM   #307
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc

Is there a way to organize the "Smilies" to personal preference of order?
Unfortunately not and its made worse by over half of them being pretty redundant. We have too many smilies here IMO.

In the future the forum software will see significant upgrades and maybe if we're lucky we'll lose some of the smilies.
Old 27th April 2008, 05:07 PM   #308
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

HEAR, HEAR! No truer works spoken on any forum I've browsed/posted to IMO, so these two posts minus the OT tweeter comment ought to be added as a preamble to any contentious thread such as this one as a warning of sorts.

OT: Please provide the post link to the tweeter 'proof'.

TIA,

GM

Turn the forum into a blog, where the experts in the field will tell us all how it is, without fear of opposing opinions.
Much better that way - no room for free thought.
Old 27th April 2008, 06:14 PM   #309
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Comments on Unity Horn--Unity Waveguide

Quote:
Mr Geddes,

Have you studied Tom Danley's Unity Horn enough to present a technical summary of the value and issues?

Would a Unity Waveguide have superior performance to the flat sided CD horns Mr. Danley produces? Would your foam lining help Unity horns or waveguides?

Quote:
Originally posted by KSTR
I'm interested in this, too, probably worth an new (or different existing) thread. My gut feeling says that the impedance breaks arising from cutouts etc for the MF/LF drivers in the walls along the horn/WG expansion will disturb proper HF waveguiding quite a bit...

- Klaus

I would be glad to discuss this, I have before, but I won't do it in this tread. Please start one anew.

I always continue to learn. I just finished a book on General Relativity and am now reading one on Organic Chemistry. Its all my research that keeps me from answering posts that are not constructive.
Old 27th April 2008, 06:55 PM   #310
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and???

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

Turn the forum into a blog, where the experts in the field will tell us all how it is, without fear of opposing opinions.
Much better that way - no room for free thought.
I'm looking forward to the new software. I think this will be part of that. I prefer to approach things in a blog style manner because you can put all sorts of random rubbish into them and have it in one place. If someone is interested in what your doing then they look at that and it doesn't clutter up the forums.

Discussion arising from Geddes loudspeakerHide this!Advertise here!