Xover Coil R/Ohm Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to upgrade my Xover for my Scanspeak 9700 and 8545.
The current coil for the tweeter has Rdc=0.32. I want to go all the way, Mundorf CFC 12, with a Rdc=0,07.
Now, am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is this a major concern or a minor problem? If it´s a problem, please enlighten me!

Thank you very much
Roger

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Looks like the Mundorf has less resistance. Maybe by design it offers less DC resistance, which is good.

Are you checking the inductor value also, that is, the Henries? For example, 1.3 mH or .5 mH or other value from the original coil.

Determining the old coil value may require a meter, if it is not marked.

Vince

I would advice to get a coil with the same resistance and inductance as the original coil. Using a lower resistance might actually spoil the response of the speaker.

Then again, I would advice not to change it at all, if it has the same L and R, nothing will change.

... or if I suspected that there is potential for improvement in a given design, I would do some measurements to confirm that, before I did the change. I would not just change components blindly to something "better".

You are talking about 0.25 of an ohm. Depending on how the coil is used for the tweeter (parallel notch, impedance compensation etc...) maybe 0.5 ohm or more might affect the response, but I doubt you could audibly tell the difference of 0.2ohms.

You also need to look at tolerance of components esp. around inductance values. your current inductor might be +/- 5% or more so keeping within the tolerance inductance is safe.

David.

I would advice to get a coil with the same resistance and inductance as the original coil. Using a lower resistance might actually spoil the response of the speaker...
Then again, I would advice not to change it at all, if it has the same L and R, nothing will change
... or if I suspected that there is potential for improvement in a given design, I would do some measurements to confirm that, before I did the change. I would not just change components blindly to something "better".

Agree.

...You also need to look at tolerance of components esp. around inductance values. your current inductor might be +/- 5% or more so keeping within the tolerance inductance is safe...

Agree again.

See an example: 1(1)

b

1(1)

Attachments

• amish_loss-comp.gif
    amish_loss-comp.gif
    37.1 KB · Views: 91
trummis said:

The current coil for the tweeter has Rdc=0.32.
I want to go all the way, Mundorf CFC 12, with a Rdc=0,07.
Now, am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Roger

Hi,

The short answer is yes you are.

It is fairly pointless "upgrading" a tweeter inductor if there is nothing
wrong with the original. Lower DCR will likely do nothing useful.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.