logitech x-140

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just took apart the Logitech X-140 PC speakers http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/214&cl=roeu,en ( they where a present from a friend ) and I found a few (un)pleasant surprises inside: the ,,inovative two-driver design" was actualy a single driver with a passive one added for a little more bass ( as you can see from the pictures ). Another ,,fun" discovery was the unshielded input cable and the fact that the output wires of the transformer ( witch is housed in the left speaker and the amp pcb - includind the rectifier bridge and filter capacitor - is in the right speaker ) is in the same ,,coating" with the output wires for the left speaker. The amp board is pretty simple - a ST TEA2025B amp, two transistors for the tone control and a few parts for the ,,Real-time bass equalisation" ( whitch I suspect is just a simple loudness circuit ). I wonder if someone recognises the driver ( the only inscription is 170091-0000 and 137361 ). Any sugestions on emproving these speakers are welcome

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 351
It's a known fact that Logitech is very keen on passive radiators - they use them in their Z-4 (IMO one of their worst designs) in sub AND satellites! I think that PR in a dedicated midrange speaker is some of the worst things ever - just leave it sealed. Also the actual sub driver in Z-4 is a 4" driver, which isn't seen externally (4th order BP with PR instead of port).

So, all in all, I wouldn't touch most of Logitech speakers - exceptions are Z-3 and Z-2300 which sound quite decent for multimedia speakers, and probably Z-5500 for a cheap home theater.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.