The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

After you stated that "we never ever hear the frequency content of the direct sound as such" (which equals to perceiving no pitch, no timbre, no sound at all), I'm more than interested how YOU explain how we still can hear normally when there are no room reflections like in an anechoic chamber :)

ok, it is sad that You want me to explain that but ok, whatever, here it goes:

I stated that "we never ever hear the frequency content of the direct sound as such" which means that "we DON'T hear the frequency content of the direct sound as such"
of course I mean when we are listening to music through a speaker system because we are discussing not only multi channel but listening to music in the first place,
and the news of course... :rolleyes:

and it doesn't mean that we CAN'T under unnatural laboratory conditions like an anechoic chamber

and a field covered by snow of course... :rolleyes:

who listens to music in an anechoic chamber or a field covered by snow?

and it certainly doesn't sound normally, we cannot say that "we still can hear normally" in an anechoic chamber, the feeling is that the situation is rather abnormal
yes, we can hear but it is not like hearing normally

it is not normal situation, except perhaps for Inuit and their fields covered by snow of course... :rolleyes:

geeez, I think that finally I have enough of this disscusion :(

Last edited:
I saw one going away at Ebay for 350 € recently. You will rather gain than lose if you sell it again.

still I hesitate
I wonder how would it react to such unusual speaker as the flooder
in the manual I read (p. 14) that:

When special speakers, such as dipole speakers, are used, the measurements may not be performed correctly or auto calibration cannot be performed

I am curious why? Does it indirectly tell something about how the correction works?

During my experinemts with the HX201 I absorbed the "ceiling beams" with pillows and there wasn't much treble left.

was the sound coming from the floor?

best,
graaf

During my experinemts with the HX201 I absorbed the "ceiling beams" with pillows and there wasn't much treble left.

That's because the direct sound is lacking higher frequency because the directivity of big broadband drivers strongly increasing with frequency. You would need to EQ it to be flat on listening axis. I once did this for a B200:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

geeez, I think that finally I have enough of this disscusion :(

Reading this thread, but staying out of it, I'd have to say that there are several people giving hand waving arguments and Markus describing things as they are known to be as well as pointing out when the "hand waving" has exceeded what we know.

People need to understand that when they do a test and "think" that they hear some results that this is not data. Its one observation that is more likely to be false - because of bias - than true.

I am sorry but it is you who has a misconception of what stereophony is. The first public stereo performance used more than 2 speakers. Stereo is limited to 2 transmission channels but it has never been limited to 2 playback channels.

Steinberg, Snow and Fletcher used 3 discrete channels. The de facto standard is to have 2 channels and 2 loudspeakers set up in an equilateral triangle.
A short historical summary can be found in Wittek's thesis.
It is possible to transport more than 2 discrete channels in 2 transmission channels, see MS recording technique or Dolby Surround.

There is no standard for "Stereo" yet. There never has been a concrete standard for stereo as far as I know. That is what we are trying to find here right? Then we must explore all of the options and not let the tail wag the dog.

Looks like you're not aware of the various ITU, ISO and DIN norms that exist.

it can be stretched out to 180 degrees of coverage.

So this is what your "system" does? How?

Just because someone has proven you wrong?
The direct sound is perceived in location, pitch and timbre.

The sound within the fusion interval, not the direct sound.

People need to understand that when they do a test and "think" that they hear some results that this is not data. Its one observation that is more likely to be false - because of bias - than true.

Psychoacoustic research is also what people think to hear. Just more of them statistically analyzed. And when nobody can faithfully describe what he hears alone because of "bias" we'll have to close most of the threads in this forum.

The de facto standard is to have 2 channels and 2 loudspeakers set up in an equilateral triangle.

And that's all it is - a de facto quasi standard. In the history of stereo it has only been limited to this layout from a short time in the mid sixties to the early 70s with the first commercial quadraphonic releases. And maybe I would consider to de facto standard once again after the death of quad in the early 80s. But even then there was still DPL and DPLII to come. As far as I can tell stereo was never strictly stereophonic.

A short historical summary can be found in Wittek's thesis.
It is possible to transport more than 2 discrete channels in 2 transmission channels, see MS recording technique or Dolby Surround.

Not discrete sorry. Just other stereophony formats that are basically based on Hafler's dynaquad.

Looks like you're not aware of the various ITU, ISO and DIN norms that exist.

And why does it look like that? Because I actually try to find what works for me instead of what worked for some controlled study or half baked standard?

So this is what your "system" does?

Well that and a little more.

The sound within the fusion interval, not the direct sound.

And how big is that? 50 to 100 ms?? Certainly NOT. The interaural time difference of a single sound source is max. 630 microseconds (I'm not sure that graaf misinterpreted this as milliseconds). For interchannel time differences it's 1,5 milliseconds max. But this has nothing to do with sound recognition, i.e. with our ability to recognize a violin as such.

Psychoacoustic research is also what people think to hear. Just more of them statistically analyzed. And when nobody can faithfully describe what he hears alone because of "bias" we'll have to close most of the threads in this forum.

Reporting observations is one thing but drawing conclusions solely based on these subjective observations is another.

And that's all it is - a de facto quasi standard. In the history of stereo it has only been limited to this layout from a short time in the mid sixties to the early 70s with the first commercial quadraphonic releases. And maybe I would consider to de facto standard once again after the death of quad in the early 80s. But even then there was still DPL and DPLII to come. As far as I can tell stereo was never strictly stereophonic.

What's the difference between "stereo" and "stereophonic"?

Not discrete sorry. Just other stereophony formats that are basically based on Hafler's dynaquad.

Don't understand what you're trying to say.

And why does it look like that? Because I actually try to find what works for me instead of what worked for some controlled study or half baked standard?

Audio reproduction is not what works for you, it's what works for everybody. A road has to be drivable for every car not just for yours.

Well that and a little more.

I hope you will tell us someday what your "system" does because we still don't know anything about it. The sound files you posted are not "360° imaging", nowhere near 180°, more like normal stereo with some room effects added. Nothing that could not have been applied in mixing or mastering.
One sound file is louder than the other. That's one of the first things you have to control when doing comparative listening.

I don't understand why you are working on some "system" (all former attempts have failed) when there IS already a "system" available that overcomes the limitations of stereo: multichannel.

Last edited: