The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2010, 01:14 PM   #911
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

You would need some electronics for adding the signals again. Is your parametric sufficient for doing the mid/treble? You have to be lucky to get a good frequency response with a CFS (like I was with the HX201).
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:27 PM   #912
diyAudio Member

BTW,
is it a problem for you to use an additional pair of bass speakers? Heavy boosting is a torture for fullrange drivers.
Another option:
If you use the Sony you could build a passive crossover that can be really messy, the Sony will correct it.

Last edited by el`Ol; 23rd March 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:37 PM   #913
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by el`Ol View Post
The algorithm would record two main impulses, the direct one and the ceiling reflection. If you mean by "gating" that it makes a cut after the direct impulse and corrects its frequency response, this would be wrong. The frequency response of both together would be distorted.
There are many more reflections that would be recorded. "Cutting" out all reflections and correcting only the direct sound is the right thing to do because if the direct sound is not flat there's no way for indirect sound to make it sound flat again.
Nevertheless, if the direct sound is flat and the indirect sound is not, coloration will be perceived. So the goal is to make both the direct and indirect sound flat. That's something constant directivity loudspeakers provide.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:40 PM   #914
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
Dspeaker Anti-mode ... is it strictly a subwoofer device ...?
Yes.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:43 PM   #915
Banned

Quote:
If you use the Sony you could build a passive crossover that can be really messy, the Sony will correct it.
What "Sony" are you talking about?
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:51 PM   #916
diyAudio Member

I mean the TA-FA1200ES, a digital amplifier with room correction.
TA-FA1200ES (TAFA1200ES) : HiFi und Home Audio : Sony
It just ran out of production, no more information available at the US site.
As far as I know Panasonic also cancelled their digital amps, this full digital thing seems to be dead.
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:58 PM   #917
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
if the direct sound is not flat there's no way for indirect sound to make it sound flat again.
From my experience with the HX201 CFS I would say the opposite.

Quote:
Nevertheless, if the direct sound is flat and the indirect sound is not, coloration will be perceived.
Sounds like a contradiction to me. An indirect sound with not-flat FR can colour the perceived result, but not correct it?
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:28 PM   #918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So the goal is to make both the direct and indirect sound flat. That's something constant directivity loudspeakers provide.
You neglect what walls do. They don't absorb all frequencies to the same degree. What you can achieve is an equal frequency response of all reflections. To go back to the weaker term "controlled directivity": You can achieve this when you get the constand directivity characteristics down to the frequency where you can do real deconvolution (Olive estimates 500 Hz). But then all reflections are lacking the frequencies below.
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:32 PM   #919
Banned

Quote:
You neglect what walls do.
What do "normal" walls do? Nothing if they are rigid. They just reflect. Drywall (typically used in the US) absorb lower frequencies which is desirable.
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:38 PM   #920
Banned

Quote:
From my experience with the HX201 CFS I would say the opposite.

Sounds like a contradiction to me. An indirect sound with not-flat FR can colour the perceived result, but not correct it?
A very good summary about what psychoacoustics knows can be found in Wittek's PhD thesis: http://hauptmikrofon.de/HW/Wittek_thesis_201207.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!