The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 91 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2010, 01:23 AM   #901
gedlee is online now gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Interesting. I do occasionally use pink noise as diagnostic signal (in diagnosing speakers), but it is ill suited to low frequencies.

Ciao T
How so? I prefer noise - well white noise - at LF. Is that what you mean? Pink versus white?
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:27 AM   #902
Banned

It depends on how an analyzer works for pink or white noise being the right choice but noise is very well suited for low frequencies.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:54 AM   #903
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by el`Ol View Post
But they know what comes first and what comes last. So they can add the lacking treble to the direct signal and subtract it from the reflection (no matter where it comes from).
Hmmm, all the room correction systems I know (with the possible exception of the Sigtech which I only know off) cannot do what you describe. They are equalisers, sophisticated for sure, but equalisers.

Many of these systems claim to deal with reflections but have some small print that limits the reflection distance to less than 1/4 wavelength or so (or omit this).

Ciao T
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:53 AM   #904
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
It depends on how an analyzer works for pink or white noise being the right choice but noise is very well suited for low frequencies.
Noise is well suited for use with analysers. My remark was to the contention "A Tracy Chapman Track is as good as pink noise to distinguish...." or something to that effect.

I do not find listening to pink noise very conductive to determining low frequency room problems and how well a given room correction system addresses them.

Ciao T
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:48 AM   #905
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
If the impuls is gated, a "CFS" would benefit too.
The algorithm would record two main impulses, the direct one and the ceiling reflection. If you mean by "gating" that it makes a cut after the direct impulse and corrects its frequency response, this would be wrong. The frequency response of both together would be distorted.
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:55 AM   #906
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hmmm, all the room correction systems I know (with the possible exception of the Sigtech which I only know off) cannot do what you describe. They are equalisers, sophisticated for sure, but equalisers.
Ciao T
If these equalizers are based on FIR filters they can do a devonvolution.
Deconvolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As already said limited by goal to keep the sweetspot in a reasonable size.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:44 AM   #907
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

interesting discussion Gentlemen - thank You!

Quote:
probably Olive is right when he says room correction is only possible up to 500 Hz and above it's only speaker correction (traditional EQing, just finer).
Quote:
That would be plain horror for a CFS.
and so on

then perhaps what should be corrected is not a room neither a loudspeaker but "loudspeakers and room as a system"?

best,
graaf
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:50 AM   #908
diyAudio Member

I am completely confused about all those electronic corrections

what about physical means that is bass traps etc.?

how can effectivity of a window or doors and all other "natural" bass absorbers be estimated and taken into account?
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:41 AM   #909
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't be too afraid. Wavelength at 500 Hz is 70 cm. These companies would have to sell a vise together with their room correctors if they did real deconvolution above. And I also don't think they do gating to correct only the frequency response of the direct sound above.
You should be more afraid about the price (except the Sony) and that they probably don't do the extreme bass boost you need for your Fostexes in these little enclosures.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:06 PM   #910
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You should be more afraid about the price (except the Sony) and that they probably don't do the extreme bass boost you need for your Fostexes in these little enclosures.
actually that Dspeaker Anti-mode little thing looks nice, it's frequency range is only "16-144 Hz" and "Lifting 35Hz" correction curve looks sufficient for the flooder in near the corner placement

On the other hand I aM not sure if I would like to put all the music through it when it is intended to work just in the range "16-144 Hz"

is it strictly a subwoofer device or can I use it safely with a full range speaker?

Last edited by graaf; 23rd March 2010 at 12:10 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!