Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2010, 03:23 PM   #651
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

A bit OT, but listen to the "get voice out of head" clip with headphones.
QUANTEC - Zero Artifact Room Simulation: Sound Clips
Old 11th March 2010, 05:11 PM   #652
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
There's tons of effects out there. You'll find examples here and here (German).
These devices all do something but you don't know exactly what.
What the SPL Vitalizer does sounds dangerous:

"Und jetzt aufpassen: Mit Hilfe von komplexen Filterschaltungen vierter Ordnung erzeugt der Vitalizer frequenz-und amplitudenabhängige Verzögerungen (Phasenverschiebungen) bis zu einem Bereich von gut fünf Millisekunden. Das je nach Frequenzbereich und Pegel unterschiedlich stark verzögerte Signal wird dem Originalsignal zugemischt. Dadurch werden u.a. die Impulse der Höhen teilweise verbreitert, zum Teil aber auch die Mitten durch Phasenauslöschungen bedämpft. Das Gehör erhält die lnformationen der verschiedenen Freqeunzbereiche nicht mehr zeitgleich, sondern in Portionen nacheinander, so daß es sie der Reihe nach „verstehen“ kann, Maskierungen, also ein „Übertönen“ bestimmter Frequenzbereiche durch lautere, dominierende Frequenzen wird ausgeschlossen. Dadurch entsteht der Eindruck räumlicher Tiefe und einer schärferen Differenziertheit des Klangbildes."

And any village studio can afford this device.

Sorry, I couldn't find an English explaination.

Sad that the Lexicon reverb examples are only available as Youtube stuff, so I only listened to them only with headphones from my computer, but I believe the Chamber algorithm could be fine for ancient music:
Product: PCM Native Reverb Plug-in Bundle | Lexicon Pro

Sorry, I know all this is getting very very very OT.
Old 11th March 2010, 05:32 PM   #653
Banned

I think it's not OT at all. Rooms and loudspeakers ARE one system but to get the big picture one has to include recordings too. This brings up audio's circle of confusion again...

Best, Markus
Old 11th March 2010, 05:52 PM   #654
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineArray View Post
The bass is essential in making up a perceptive picture of the
"sound event space".
yes very true. unfortunate however that mostly all but a few 'classical music' orchestral recordings have the bass mixed down to mono below about 100hz, as im no fan of orchestral music.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:53 AM   #655
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Are they mixed that way intentionally, or is it just a recording artifact?
Old 12th March 2010, 12:56 AM   #656
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

I know a lot of vinyl is cut that way to make it cut cleaner. But I don't know why it would be like that for modern digital releases.
Old 12th March 2010, 01:42 AM   #657
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
yes very true. unfortunate however that mostly all but a few 'classical music' orchestral recordings have the bass mixed down to mono below about 100hz, as im no fan of orchestral music.
Bass below 80 Hz does not affect spatial attributes of sound reproduction in acoustically small spaces. See Martens et al., 2004.

Best, Markus
Old 12th March 2010, 01:57 AM   #658
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Are they mixed that way intentionally, or is it just a recording artifact?
with studio recordings at least, Im certain that most studios would not use 2 mics for recording the output from a bass amp, or also in many cases a guitar amp either. stereo guitar is often done with 2 mics and 2 amps simultaneously, or just multitracked and recorded twice. stereo elec bass may also just by DI'ed in alot of cases, provided its of any use to record in stereo, eg if a flanger/phaser is used for EFX and a fuller harmonic structure(or exagerated one) is desired. A 'Dark' bass with little overtones wouldnt really be noticable in stereo unless it is panned left to right, rather than ACTUAL stereo recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
I know a lot of vinyl is cut that way to make it cut cleaner. But I don't know why it would be like that for modern digital releases.
presumably to reduce stylus clipping at large displacements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Bass below 80 Hz does not affect spatial attributes of sound reproduction in acoustically small spaces. See Martens et al., 2004.

Best, Markus
Bang on the money Markus
Old 12th March 2010, 02:07 AM   #659
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
presumably to reduce stylus clipping at large displacements?
Not a cutter but I'll take a guess. Basically even if it is true that bass transients are somewhat benign (debatable but not getting into it) the truth is that a lot of material will have bass transient and reflection information present on the recording. Bass is the largest wave so it will be the largest groves. When a sound is in phase it will cut horizontally. If a sound is out of phase it will cut vertically. When both are present as in bass transient information it's more of a circular movement that can pop the needle out of the grove.
Old 12th March 2010, 06:41 AM   #660
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
Not a cutter but I'll take a guess. Basically even if it is true that bass transients are somewhat benign (debatable but not getting into it) the truth is that a lot of material will have bass transient and reflection information present on the recording. Bass is the largest wave so it will be the largest groves. When a sound is in phase it will cut horizontally. If a sound is out of phase it will cut vertically. When both are present as in bass transient information it's more of a circular movement that can pop the needle out of the grove.
basically what i figured...except the large(r) groove would be wider and deeper, wouldnt it? since displacement is roughly 45 left 45 right in stereo , and just depth in mono...if i remember right...........

Hide this!Advertise here!