The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

If you had narrow and constant directivity speakers in a multichannel set up, would you still want the mains to cross in front of the listener like you recommend for stereo? Or should they be placed to reduce lateral reflections?

You still want the mains to cross in front of the listener because this reduces the level of lateral reflections.
Furthermore multichannel recordings often don't make use of a center channel but rely on a phantom center.

Best, Markus

Last edited:
I agree with Markus.

Center channels are great if 1) they are exactly the same as the mains and 2) they are placed dead center at the same level as the mains. This means that they have to be right where the picture is in a HT. This can only be done with an acoustically transparent screen and a projector. Otherwise use phantom mode. I make a custom center channel speaker crossover which is adjusted for axial response as opposed to off axis. I am installing Harpers in my theater as we speak for the surrounds, thats what they were design to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Markus! Perhaps I used the wrong word there. The lateral reflections I was referring to are the ones that hit my left ear from my left wall, but come from the speaker on m right. Perhaps contralateral would be a batter word.

Thanks Dr. Geddes! I was just having this discussion on another board and said the same thing. That's where I'm at then, phantom center.

Dan

Last edited:
sound coming from the sides contributes much more to his term "spaciousness" than sound from the front/back/ceiling/floor.

are effects of front/back/ceiling/floor eflections discussed in detail?

Multichannel is his endpoint, but most of the information in the book is about one or two channel testing at harman.

Here some marketing agenda of Harman is to be seen IMHO, this multichannel is good for speaker business

here is something more of a Toole's own view:

I am not sure what "the perfect sound" might be. If it is to transport a listener to a concert hall, then we have gone about it the wrong way - we should have focused our efforts on binaural recordings and playback, or long before now moved into multichannel reproduction, using many more than 5.1 channels.

Matrix Surround for Music

best regards!
graaf

If you agree to "horizontal directivity should be constant in any case, and vertical dispersion shoul be narrow" - doesn`t that fundamentally contradict your flooder concept? I was under the impression that you were beaming something to the ceiling. That would not be "narrow vertical dispersion" in my vocabulary.

Note that I have said vertical dispersion should be narrow unless something else is done WRT interaction of speakers with floor and ceiling

what is done in the case of the flooder with floor reflection
- it is effectively low-passed because of the directivity of the speaker in an enclosure and because of geometry of such a setup (check angles if incidence and reflection) - it can be said that from perspective of VERs (of how they are defined) there is no early reflection off the floor in case of the flooder

then what is done in the case of the flooder with ceiling reflection
- it is delayed twice as much as in case of conventional setup, by seating on a shorter armchair/sofa and/or by moving a bit closer to the speaker it can be delayed beyond the worst 10 ms, something that cannot be done with conventional setup without ceiling deflectors (certainly not something to be found in a typical listening room)

honestly I don't know what to think of this ceiling reflection
WRT floor reflection its effects are researched and known but this is not the case of ceiling reflection

My hypothesis is that it is ignored by the brain for purposes of sound localization at all, it adds only to the perceived loudness and affects timbre

why? because there was no equivalent of ceiling reflection during millions of years of biological evolution of our sense of hearing

just hypothesis of course

best,
graaf

I have read the first 8 chapters (140 pages) of Toole's book and I will post some quotes here, mainly for graaf, who doesn't want to buy it.

BIG thanks el`Ol! it's helpful and very kind of You :)

interesting quotations, especially those:

el`Ol said:
“Listeners appeared to prefer the sound from wide-dispersion loudspeakers with somewhat colored off-axis behaviour to the sound from a narrow-dispersion loudspeaker with less colored off-axis behavior.”
(…)
“Perhaps related to this is the acoustical crosstalk associated with the phantom center image. This coloration cannot be ignored in a situation where the direct sound is strong. Early reflections from different directions tend to fill the interference dip, making the spectrum more pleasantly neutral.”

interesting, at last an attempt at some theoretical explanation in favor of wide dispersion, apart from the disputed question of spaciousness

el`Ol said:
“[Flindell et.al. (1991)] … The natural concern that wide dispersion and the attendant strong early reflections “would lead to degraded stereo imaging was not confirmed by the experienced listeners using rating scales and blind presentations of audio material.” Providing a contrasting point of view, Newell and Holland (1997) present a reasoned discussion of the requirements for control-room acoustical treatment (and, by inference, loudspeaker directivity). They favor the elimination of all lateral and vertical reflections – a near anechoic space, placing listeners in a direct-sound field. They conclude that “spaceousness and the resolution of fine details are *largely mutually exclusive. Spaceousness should… be an aspect of the final reproduction environment.” There is no doubt that, listening to direct sound only, recording engineers may recognize the callously stark special presentation of hard-panned left and right stereo images and be motivated to remedy it, unless this turns out to be another preference associated with the professional side of the industry. Not to be ignored in any situation in which reflected sounds have been removed is the fact that the acoustical crosstalk that plagues stereo phantom images is present in its naked ugliness, without any compensation from reflected sounds.
(...)
“Why do recording and mixing engineers prefer to listen with reduced lateral reflections? Perhaps they need to hear things that recreational listeners don’t. This is a popular explanation, and it sounds reasonable, but experiments reported in Section 6.2 indicate that we humans have a remarkable ability to hear what is in a recording in spite of room reflections – lots of them. But there is an alternative explanation, based on the observation that some listeners can become sensitized to these sounds an hear them in an exaggerated form.

The natural concern that wide dispersion and the attendant strong early reflections “would lead to degraded stereo imaging was not confirmed...

Spaceousness should… be an aspect of the final reproduction environment...

a popular explanation, and it sounds reasonable, but experiments...

How about that!

*I wonder what Newell and Holland meant by largely? And what tests exactly is their conclusion based upon?
And how can they at the same time conclude that "spaceousness should… be an aspect of the final reproduction environment"? Are they denying audiophiles the resolution of fine details? ;)

Tell me please - is there anything in this book that speaks against the flooder idea?
Any statement from Toole that supports all those statements that have been posted here in this thread, about disasters and crazy schemes?

anything at all?

best regards!
graaf

concepts like omnis or dipoles. The main drawback is that they make each and every recording sound the same

To put it shortly - WRT omnis or dipoles You have heard perhaps it is true but is is absolutely untrue WRT the flooders

somehow consistently different from conventional stereo – yes, but each and every recording sounds the sameabsolutely not, it is rather true in case of conventional stereo where each and every recording sounds more or less flat and 2D

best,
graaf

Last edited:
well, they are definitely not doing this

The truth is that You have just no idea how it sounds because You haven't heard it

best,
graaf

And you haven't heard what Marcus and I are talking about either, so that makes it a stalmate on the subjective aspects and all we can do is to talk about the objective ones. There I don't think that there is much of a contest.

Hello,

why? because there was no equivalent of ceiling reflection during millions of years of biological evolution of our sense of hearing

Well, but then there were no rooms in savannah so we are not evolutioned to hear any wall reflections either :D In evolutionary sense a human is mainly a direct sound observer, and in case where room reflections are present the brain is confused. But the confusion does not completely prevent interpreting the direct sound. Only requirement for non-fatique listening is to have clear direct sound and long enough time before room reflections come to disturb.

Toole's book and I will post some quotes here, mainly for graaf, who doesn't want to buy it.

A DIY friendly choice is to borrow the book from the city library! For free! Come on guys, why you allways want to pay for a basic human right like accessing information.

To me this is a key finding and one I completely concur with. It is key to my disagreements with Floyd on the subject of directivity. The wide directivity will mask to a much greater degeree the poor recordings that I find so common in marketplace. The highly directional speakers are brutally revealing of these flaws. Floyd is dominately a "symphonic music at home" person. I am quite the opposite. I claim that if the recordings of symponic music were improved, then the prference would shift to narrow directivity.

The symphonic situation will not be improved by any recording or loudspeaker directivity issue. It's because the main thing in symphonic (or chamber music) is the sense of the hall! The envelopement. That is not possible with any 2 speaker set up, but one needs extra speakers to create the "surround field".

The wide dispersion speakers help to overcome this fact. BUT in my opinion the diepersion should be wide only at high frequencies above 1kHz or so. Below 1kHz directivity should be as narrow as possible to overcome the room.

And the results of Floyd and his lab at JBL were strongly influenced by the need to sell products

LOL :D And you are not? :D :rolleyes:

…a pair of loudspeakers deployed at +/-30° or less is not an optimum arrangement for generating strong perceptions of envelopment… Perhaps this is why audiophiles have for decades experimented with different loudspeaker directivities (to excite more listening room reflections), with electronic add-ons and more loudspeakers (to generate delayed sounds arriving from the sides and rear), and with other trinkets that seem capable only of exciting the imagination. All have been intended to contribute more of “something that was missing” from stereo reproduction experience. The solution to this is more channels.”

I agree with this, but I'll rise an issue with "channels" since not necessarily more media channels are needed, but just more loudspeakers and some signal processing therein.

- Elias

The symphonic situation will not be improved by any recording or loudspeaker directivity issue. It's because the main thing in symphonic (or chamber music) is the sense of the hall! The envelopement. That is not possible with any 2 speaker set up, but one needs extra speakers to create the "surround field".

The wide dispersion speakers help to overcome this fact. BUT in my opinion the diepersion should be wide only at high frequencies above 1kHz or so. Below 1kHz directivity should be as narrow as possible to overcome the room.

Well I completely disagree with that, but I know that. I could never agree that "the main thing" is the hall, as if the playing and the direct field were insignificant. That is, IMO, ridiculous. The hall "adds" to the performance, but it is NOT the performance.

And you are not?

No not really. Floyd had bosses, I do not. Floyd came to work at JBL and the products already existed, he did not design them. I did the designs for my speakers long before I was ever a manufacturer. Hence, my speakers reflect my beliefs not the other way arround. It's a vastly different situation. And, for what its worth, selling loudspeakers has virtually no impact on my income - it is mostly derived from other "profitable" sources.

Last edited:
Did a little test: Mono sum of music stereo track, split to left and right channel, high pass filter (12dB@500Hz) on left channel, low pass filter (12dB@500Hz) on right channel.

When listening with the head turned 90°, so one speaker acts as a floor speaker and the other one as a ceiling speaker, all sounds are localized in the high pass filtered speaker, even when that speaker is delayed (tested delays up to 10ms).

Second observation: timbre was not affected.

This gives hints why the sound of a ceiling flodder is neither necessarily colorized nor localized at the floor. But then again, why not just use regular loudspeakers?

To gain a better understanding, the test should be repeated with the two channels filtered in a way that matches the response characteristics of a typical ceiling flodder. Who could provide that information?

Best, Markus

Have you ever listened symphony orchestra playing in anechoich space? Otherwise you don't know what you are talking about.

There is no performance without the hall.

Denon made an anechoich symphonic recording:
Anechoic Orchestral Music Recording

WAV files:
Index of /Public/Anecoic/Denon

Listen to that first.

Well I completely disagree with that, but I know that. I could never agree that "the main thing" is the hall, as if the playing and the direct field were insignificant. That is, IMO, ridiculous. The hall "adds" to the performance, but it is NOT the performance.

Did a little test: Mono sum of music stereo track, split to left and right channel, high pass filter (12dB@500Hz) on left channel, low pass filter (12dB@500Hz) on right channel.

When listening with the head turned 90°, so one speaker acts as a floor speaker and the other one as a ceiling speaker, all sounds are localized in the high pass filtered speaker, even when that speaker is delayed (tested delays up to 10ms).

Is this true only for having the highpassed speaker above and the lowpassed speaker below? And what is the crossover frequency where the situation changes?

Is this true only for having the highpassed speaker above and the lowpassed speaker below?

No, it just depends on where the high pass filtered speaker is placed.

And what is the crossover frequency where the situation changes?

Would have to test specifically for that. At this point I'm more interested in real world data. Is 6dB@1000Hz realistic for a full range driver, e.g. Visaton B200?

Dr. Geddes, if I have read the thread carefully enough you still haven't said how and where you would record symphonic music for ideal playback with a narrow-beam stereo setup. I have heard a full-scale orchestra outdoors only once, but I think I can say it doesn't sound like a recording in a "hifi concert hall" on narrow beam speakers.

Dr. Geddes, if I have read the thread carefully enough you still haven't said how and where you would record symphonic music for ideal playback with a narrow-beam stereo setup. I have heard a full-scale orchestra outdoors only once, but I think I can say it doesn't sound like a recording in a "hifi concert hall" on narrow beam speakers.

I am not a recording engineer and wouldn't pretend to know how to record an orchestra. The reasons for a narrow beam playback would be true no matter what the recording is or how it was recorded. Its simply that if one wants to remove the negative effects of a small room without elliminating the local spacial ambiance then the only choice is narrow directivity. You can increase the spaciousness with wide directivity speakers and/or many more early reflections, but this accentuate the problems with small rooms, most noticably the imaging. If you want good imaging and good spaciuosness simultaneously then you have to use a speaker/room combination that surpresses the very early reflection while accentuating the later ones. I know of only one way to do this.

The point about the orchestra outdoors was not that it was ideal or desirable only that the room IS NOT the major effect - the orchestra still sounded fine and some people even like the effect. The hall is not the dominate factor at all - its an additive accent that adds a quite pleasing effect.