The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2010, 07:02 PM   #571
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
2.2.5 Room Interaction and Sound Localization
The reaction of diffuse sources, such as DMLs, to room boundaries is less severe than traditional piston loudspeakers.
(...)
DML sources produce room reflections that are less correlated to the direct sound than those radiated from piston sources and thus, constructive and destructive interference of sound is minimized.
I think that is basically what i said. It describes a highly
useful property of that kind of speakers with respect to minimize
loudspeaker room interaction.

Realistic (though exemplaric) data concerning directivity you can
find e.g. in Fig. 5 of the second paper.

Polar plots of DML look very different according to size, panel material
and mounting conditions.

To think about: The strong desire for directivity in piston acting
Loudspeakers when minimizing room interaction comes from
strong interference of conventional (non diffuse) loudspeakers
with room boundaries ...

Although you can shape DML directional too, this is not neccessary to
the extent you have to do it when minimizing boundary interference
for conventional speakers.

This in turn gives a very wide listening area of nearly constant
quality. It is simply "amazing" ...

Kind Regards
Old 25th February 2010, 07:10 PM   #572
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
I'm sure lots of people have noticed this. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that what I am experimenting with is cutting edge or anything. It's not exactly new but maybe the specifics and just putting all the pieces together in a way that actually works that might be somewhat new.
I agree that own experience has always a different value than theoretical
knowledge. Although i know the mentioned book from Jens Blauert
- it is in fact one of my favourites -
i am experimenting sometimes, even though it is not leading edge.

Kind Regards
Old 25th February 2010, 08:54 PM   #573
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
What's unorthodox about Carlsson speakers?
have You ever anywhere seen anything similar?

Quote:
The OA5x tries to mimic a flush mounted speaker and comes with some built-in absorber panels to kill first reflections.
there are much simpler ways to "mimic a flush mounted speaker" than making a very short speaker with drivers firing diagonally up to the ceiling

the Carlsson way means also effective handling of early reflections from the side-walls, floor and ceiling, much more than "to mimic a flush mounted speaker"

Last edited by graaf; 25th February 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:23 PM   #574
Banned

Quote:
have You ever anywhere seen anything similar?
I've seen a couple of "unorthodox" speakers, yes, but the interesting thing is the design principle of a speaker. The Carlson looks not "unorthodox" to me.

Quote:
there are much simpler ways to "mimic a flush mounted speaker" then making a short speaker with drivers firing diagonally up to the ceiling

the Carlsson way means also effective handling of early reflections from the side-walls, floor and ceiling, much more than "to mimic a flush mounted speaker"
Did you read the Carlson paper? It exactly describes the same principles that led to flush mounting or constant (high) directivity concepts.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:34 PM   #575
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've seen a couple of "unorthodox" speakers, yes, but the interesting thing is the design principle of a speaker. The Carlson looks not "unorthodox" to me.
ok, great!

Quote:
Did you read the Carlson paper? It exactly describes the same principles that led to flush mounting or constant (high) directivity concepts.
What kind of a question is this?

Let me answer accordingly with similar questions:

Did you read my first post in this thread? Did You read Harold Beveridge's paper on room-speaker interface? Or Moulton's? Or Linkwitz's presentations?

Last edited by graaf; 25th February 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:47 PM   #576
Banned

Quote:
Did you read my first post in this thread? Did You read Harold Beveridge's paper on room-speaker interface? Or Moulton's? Or Linkwitz's presentations?
Yes. Do you realize that these names and their concepts stand for very different sound fields?
Old 25th February 2010, 09:56 PM   #577
diyAudio Member

Now tell me what is wrong with my proposition? What calculation is wrong? What asumptions are mistaken?

Surely there are VERs <1 ms from the adjacent wall but I cannot hear anything bad that could be attributed to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
In the < 2ms. region we found that the VER would actually sound like nonlinear distortion, and are highly dependent on absolute SPL, but also muck up the image. At greater than about 2 ms. the effects transition more to coloration than image. At about 10 ms. the negative effects of reflections begins to go away and by 20 ms. the reflections become positive being perceived as "spaciousness", reverb, etc.
I can hear no mucking up of the image, nothing unnatural that "sounds like nonlinear distortion", and certainly no audible unnatural image shift nor widening nor blowing up - which in that case is quite expected because those VERs are coming from the same direction as the first wavefront within just +/- couple of degrees
Old 25th February 2010, 10:05 PM   #578
Banned

Has your last post anything to do with Carlson and my comment that his designs are not unorthodox??
Old 25th February 2010, 10:14 PM   #579
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes. Do you realize that these names and their concepts stand for very different sound fields?
what do You mean by "very different sound fields"?
Yes I realize that in each case there is very different sequence of room reflections, that is for sure BUT question is - how does it translate into audible sensations?

Can we tell from the perspective of audibility which of those "sequences of room reflections" is optimal or at least better than other or at the very least audibly "very different" from other? Can we?

This is the question - how those "very different sound fields" translate into what we hear?

Because each of those "very different sound fields" room reflections differ in direction, timing, intensity and spectral content whether (and to what effect) reflections are audible or not is a function of timing and intensity, and direction and spectral content and so on and so on

perhaps from the psychoacoustical perspective of audiblity and of detrimental effect the differences are not that huge as from the physical perspective of "very different sound fields"?

What do You think?
Old 25th February 2010, 10:29 PM   #580
Banned

I answered this now a couple of times. How often do you want me to repeat it?

Since Blauert introduced the term "auditory event", science tries to understand how our perception of sound relates to the physical properties of sound fields - we still try.

Hide this!Advertise here!