The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 319 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2014, 10:37 AM   #3181
RDLewis is offline RDLewis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Due to size I have not read all this thread yet, but here is a link that looks an interesting concept !

- James Romeyn
Old 24th February 2014, 11:50 AM   #3182
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDLewis View Post
Due to size I have not read all this thread yet, but here is a link that looks an interesting concept !

- James Romeyn
great! looks like someone got inspired by this thread

Quote:
With the LCS speakers engaged, what I heard was an incredible sound stage, as if the sidewalls and ceiling had been completely demolished.

Last edited by graaf; 24th February 2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12th March 2014, 07:14 AM   #3183
diyAudio Member

Default Mojo

Davone Mojo

Davone loudspeakers products
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mojo.jpg (15.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg mojo-specifications.jpg (13.4 KB, 266 views)
Old 12th March 2014, 10:31 AM   #3184
diyAudio Member

hi all , how did you cut the the stainless steel? peter
Old 12th March 2014, 12:44 PM   #3185
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDLewis View Post

From the above linked page:
"Later James experimented with Dr. Floyd Toole’s side-firing ambiance theories, which led to Late Ceiling Splash (LCS)."

Now, I know about side firing speakers yes I do, but I cannot recall Toole experiencing with those concepts ?

Also , it is not immediately apparent how potentially beneficial 'side firing' leads to ceiling reflection as a solution ?

Old 12th March 2014, 01:21 PM   #3186
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
Now, I know about side firing speakers yes I do, but I cannot recall Toole experiencing with those concepts ?
neither can I

but who knows what Dr Toole does when nobody is looking

Quote:
Also , it is not immediately apparent how potentially beneficial 'side firing' leads to ceiling reflection as a solution ?
yeah, OTOH my own "side firing" experiments led me eventually to a FCUFS concept* ... however I can't remember anymore how they did

*of which this LCS seems to be a sort of cleverly disguised commercial ripp-off
Old 12th March 2014, 07:22 PM   #3187
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From the above linked page:
"Later James experimented with Dr. Floyd Toole’s side-firing ambiance theories, which led to Late Ceiling Splash (LCS)."

I think it's a heavily "derived" accounting of Toole's work.

Likely derived from his research on first order reflections (vs. loudspeaker directivity), and also from his work on multi-channel.

In a loose sense, you can say that multi-channel (surround speakers) is "side-firing".. no?
Old 23rd March 2014, 04:51 PM   #3188
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post

You asked me to use my ears, and there you have it. The presentation I heard from flooder's was inaccurate and unrepresentative of what I heard from the 2 way front firing speakers in my listening room, and the speakers in my post production studio.
So, did you ever leave the studio to take 25th row and shut your eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
I know this because I have heard my own recordings on flooder's, and they sound nothing like what I heard in my studio which uses front firing speakers.
Maybe your perception of reality is based mostly from what you hear in your studio, using front firing speaker?

I prefer side wall mounted speakers like Beveridge style positioning. Transducer close to wall creates an reflection image like an 360 deg dispersion without actual reflections like with MBL. MBL would be the sign of commercial success of "flooder" (don't like that name really). I personally can't stand "beemers" any more - thats for sure. They all reveal themselves immediately as "reproduction" - I'm after at least an "lllusion".

//
Old 23rd March 2014, 08:04 PM   #3189
diyAudio Member

Hi TNT!

Can You give any details of Your setup please?
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:50 PM   #3190
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I use the Bremen speakers and they are superb. But not as depicted in the photos on a front wall but on side walls. The room is 5x4,7m (height is 2,9). I sit on the 5m wall, in a sofa against the wall. Speakers tweeter centre is 0,9m above floor. Ear to speaker distance is 3,1m so they sit just a bit past middle of the wall. So I actually play the widest possible way. Still, the room is quite square.

It may seem wide but works very well. No hole in the middle but great stage. Walls disapear. Orchestra is grand. Tight close-mic'd recording sound... close, but not dead.

No hint of speakers on most recordings. I have (2) eq'd subs in the corners but currently no way to delay the Bremens for time alignment but they are a nice addition anyway. Many would be satisfied by the Bremens alone I would guess as the bass gain from the walls does the trick. The Bremens run full range - subs are LP at 35 hz 4th order. / 500W Ice-power per sub. Search for IKEA bowl subs on the forum.

D/A is a combo of Ians clock, Ackos teflon DAC and 10 ohm/Lundahl MC trafo as I/V connected with 15cm wire to a pair of ICE-power ASP-1000. I'm using the digital level control in the D/A ESS chip. The whole system is run from a 5KVA 115-115 volt shielded isolation trafo. Short but sweet signal chain. All cabling is single core.

The music experience this system provides is exciting and involving. From Emma Kirkby, via Keith Jarret and Pink Floyd to Meshugga

The big things started to happen when speakers came onto the wall. This was a revelation. To have a real good source is also nice.

//

Last edited by TNT; 24th March 2014 at 12:11 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!