The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 318 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2013, 11:35 AM   #3171
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

next to be tested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
interesting "no direct sound" placement method: Stereo Unlimited tweak
Quote:
below is what I am talking about (please take A CAREFUL NOTE OF the db scale! ):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
I think it results hole in the middle. Side wall reflections arrive in very wide angle, AND there is no strong center sound.
it depends on the stereo triangle in the room geometry and in particular on the toe in of the dipole null axis in the direction of the listener

with the right geometry there is a center sound - in form of reflections from the front wall
Old 18th February 2014, 12:41 PM   #3172
diyAudio Member

Quote:
generally it appears to be a consensus in literature that frequency range critical for localisation perception is >0.5 kHz

I suggested above (and with some good reasons I believe) that the important range extends roughly 0.4<4.0 kHz
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel View Post
it is desirable to have 0 phase rotation of the harmonics, Griesinger showed a reason why. It all comes down to separating individual sound-streams in a 'busy' environment - coctail-party-effect. This is most effective when the harmonics have the same time-delay, so that the waveform doesn't get smeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
The phase needs to have constant group delay from 700 - 7 kHz as Griesinger says
Old 18th February 2014, 07:53 PM   #3173
diyAudio Member

Graaf,

The three quotes you listed in #3172 are all good reasons not to point speakers at the ceiling.

Last edited by weltersys; 18th February 2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 18th February 2014, 08:41 PM   #3174
diyAudio Member

is that so? why?

BTW new Swedish flooder:

OD-11 - Teenage Engineering

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/19...D-11_Flyer.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th February 2014, 06:18 AM   #3175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Graaf,

The three quotes you listed in #3172 are all good reasons not to point speakers at the ceiling.
why?

Exactly what is wrong with lowering the level of the floor reflection at the expense of a higher level of the ceiling reflection?

What does it have to do with phase rotation of the harmonics or smearing of the waveform?

Last edited by graaf; 19th February 2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 19th February 2014, 04:00 PM   #3176
diyAudio Member

Originally Posted by weltersys
Graaf,

Quote:
why?

Exactly what is wrong with lowering the level of the floor reflection at the expense of a higher level of the ceiling reflection?

What does it have to do with phase rotation of the harmonics or smearing of the waveform?
What is wrong with less floor and more ceiling reflections is I find it preferable to have floor and ceiling reflections to appear naturally as they would in a normal presentation. Your preference is quite different.

1)generally it appears to be a consensus in literature that frequency range critical for localisation perception is >0.5 kHz
I suggested above (and with some good reasons I believe) that the important range extends roughly 0.4<4.0 kHz

In either case, the lower range is localized at the floor, upper range from the ceiling reflection.

2)it is desirable to have 0 phase rotation of the harmonics, Griesinger showed a reason why. It all comes down to separating individual sound-streams in a 'busy' environment - coctail-party-effect. This is most effective when the harmonics have the same time-delay, so that the waveform doesn't get smeared.
Again, upper harmonics, being more directional, are reflected from the ceiling, while fundamentals are heard from both floor and ceiling, multiple different delay times.

3)The phase needs to have constant group delay from 700 - 7 kHz as Griesinger says
Phase relationships and group delay are not maintained when the first arrival times are multiple reflections. The upper range, 700-7 kHz is most smeared, as most speakers are more directional in that range.

Art
Old 24th February 2014, 05:35 AM   #3177
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
A funny thing.. I... Sonab OA-13. .
Please a picture? I don't think there ever was model called that.

//
Old 24th February 2014, 08:27 AM   #3178
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Oops, mine are OA-14, teak veneer. Bass drivers have been changed but tweeters are original. They are at my summer cabin and I have not had enough interest to update tweeters.
CarlssonPlanet.com &bull; Sonab OA-14
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 24th February 2014, 09:56 AM   #3179
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

^but old Carlsson/Sonab speakers are not floor, but wall coupled! The bass driver is placed close to the wall. Bass reflex port is downfire and it can be called floor-coupled.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 24th February 2014, 10:19 AM   #3180
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
^but old Carlsson/Sonab speakers are not floor, but wall coupled!
it depends, short Carlsson speakers like OD-11, OA-52 or V-1 can be said to be floor-coupled

Hide this!Advertise here!