The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2008, 12:29 PM   #291
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

With real stereo-recordings the radiation angle of the Carlsson is very wide, but the imaging remains sharp. With synthetic reverb production it is the other way round: very narrow sweet-spot (the mentioned square) and more diffuse imaging. The CFS has a wide radiation angle as well. It has a slightly less sharp imaging, but still the reach out and touch effect. As mentioned the impulse response of the reflected signal is important. Synthetic productions have a large radiation angle as well, but impaired realism of the image that is clearly ahead of the Carlsson, however.
As mentioned only the Carlsson gives the feeling of being in a real room.
Old 9th October 2008, 01:02 PM   #292
Banned

I'm always wondering what "real" means? Have you ever been in the concert hall where the original sound recording took place? If yes, have you ever changed seats and experienced how the sound changes? Have you ever heard what the mixing engineer made of this recording in his control room?
For me there's only more or less spaciousness and envelopment. As there are no standardized setups for control and listening rooms, this discussion here of "real" or "right and wrong" doesn't make much sense at all.

Best, Markus
Old 9th October 2008, 01:28 PM   #293
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I guess "real" room means, that one has a feeling of being in another room than the one he actually is in - at least that is what I consider "being in a real room". It does not mean anything true to reality for me - Markus pointed out, that I really do not know the reality. I experimented very little with adding artificial reverb to rock recordings - with very unsatisfactory results. It only worked on my e-guitar dry signal - then I really felt the same way as if I played in a small garage or cathedral - even with a small open-backed combo amp (mono).
Old 9th October 2008, 01:57 PM   #294
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pelanj
I guess "real" room means, that one has a feeling of being in another room than the one he actually is in
exactly, nothing more and - of course - nothing less
an illusion

best regards!
graaf
Old 9th October 2008, 02:22 PM   #295
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markus76

Have you ever been in the concert hall where the original sound recording took place? If yes, have you ever changed seats and experienced how the sound changes?

Usually I donīt get the opportunity to wander around during a concert
Wandering in the listening room with a Carlsson setup should be avoided. When I shift towards the side the performers shift with me, while the room stays where it is. But, as said quite at the begining of the thread (or was it an other one, unfortunately there are too much of that sort) the goal is the maximum "you are there feeling", not getting as much information out of the recording as possible.
Old 9th October 2008, 02:25 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

And as you use the word "envelopment": It is an envelopment I find "acoustic", whereas I perceive the envelopment of a reverb device as psychedelic.
The psychedelic effect of these recordings is reduced when listening to them in the "Carlsson Square" instead of a conventional setup, but at the expense that the performers are becoming big and diffuse.
Old 9th October 2008, 02:41 PM   #297
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by el`Ol the goal is the maximum "you are there feeling", not getting as much information out of the recording as possible.
Then you should switch to multichannel NOW. Only more speakers can generate the reflections necessary for more inartificial spaciousness and envelopment. This is simply because these reflections need to be of a certain level, delay and direction.
Old 9th October 2008, 02:54 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Then you should switch to multichannel NOW. Only more speakers can generate the reflections necessary for more inartificial spaciousness and envelopment. This is simply because the reflections need to be of a certain level, delay and direction.

Well, if I was Ralph Glasgal and had the money for tons of speakers and DSPs, maybe. The only highend 5-channel system I have listened to was a system with 7 Mangers: 2xdipole, 1xmonopole L+R, 2xradial L-R, R-L, and I wasnīt impressed. The owner didnīt have a 5-Channel player at that time, so I canīt say how multichannel sounds with that system. But as far as I know there isnīt even an accepted standard for "real acoustic" multichannel recordings, some exhumated the Decca Tree...
Old 9th October 2008, 03:18 PM   #299
Banned

Well, listening to a multichannel system without a multichannel signal is sort of ... pointless?
But as there's no standard for stereo either I would give it a try.
Old 9th October 2008, 03:42 PM   #300
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, listening to a multichannel system without a multichannel signal is sort of ... pointless?
But as there's no standard for stereo either I would give it a try.
there is a standard for stereo - intensity stereo - XY, MS or panpotted
as to AB stereo:
Quote:
Due to compatibility problems, delay time stereophony is rarely used.
see: http://www9.dw-world.de/rtc/infotheq..._recording.pdf

or are they wrong?

best regards!
graaf

Hide this!Advertise here!