The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 226 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2013, 12:01 PM   #2251
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
I was looking for the loudspeakers and room system thread, and wtf ?!?
Yes, sorry. There was supposed to be a subtitle with the original name, but it didn't work.
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:15 PM   #2252
graaf is online now graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is it allowed to disscuss any disadvantages of flooders in this thread
Do You know any???
Quote:
So in your theory above sounds are no cues ? Do you locate birds singing flying above to the horisontal plane ?
oh c'mon Elias! reflections from above are no spatial cues
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:20 PM   #2253
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
Yes I truly see the nonsense here.
in You own words? Because I just quoted Your very own words
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:33 PM   #2254
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My next question is how can a track mixed and mastered on a front firing speaker translate well to a speaker sitting on the ground and firing upward? I cannot see this working very well, just like movie soundtracks sound overly diffused played back through bipolar speakers
just like? FCUFS is not similar to a bipolar speaker at all, and when it is also coupled to the adjacent wall as I recommend in this thread then in the lateral plane it is just 180 deg. constant directivity like on/in-wall line source, like Beveridge

Last edited by graaf; 2nd May 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2nd May 2013, 03:01 PM   #2255
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Flooders do one thing good, they can help to overcome this basic flaw of stereo triangle. By adding multible of room reflections the annoyance of comb filtering is decreased. Also the sweet spot is much bigger (also related to interference field). In addition head movements no longer affects the perceived sound, the head can be turned and moved freely.
what You say are the advantages of omni- and also polydirectional speakers. FCUFS have more to offer than just that actually if coupled also to the adjacent wall a FCUFS behaves more like Beveridge than a typical omni
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:37 PM   #2256
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
what You say are the advantages of omni- and also polydirectional speakers. FCUFS have more to offer than just that actually if coupled also to the adjacent wall a FCUFS behaves more like Beveridge than a typical omni
a coincident UFS I should add
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:52 PM   #2257
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
just like? FCUFS is not similar to a bipolar speaker at all, and when it is also coupled to the adjacent wall as I recommend in this thread then in the lateral plane it is just 180 deg. constant directivity like on/in-wall line source, like Beveridge
Since we don't use on/in wall line sources anywhere in the mixing or mastering workflow(whether music only or movies), then playing music or a soundtrack back on FCUFS is nothing more than a "effect" that is all. Much like bipolar, and Bose 901's are "effect" speakers as well. It is not representative of anything used in the mixing and mastering workflow.
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:10 AM   #2258
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since we don't use on/in wall line sources anywhere in the mixing or mastering workflow(whether music only or movies), then playing music or a soundtrack back on FCUFS is nothing more than a "effect" that is all. Much like bipolar, and Bose 901's are "effect" speakers as well. It is not representative of anything used in the mixing and mastering workflow.
I canīt understand what can be objectively wrong with transducers free from distortions caused by the floor and incoherent lateral reflections? Yes, they are wide 180 deg dispersion and loud lateral reflections reduce IACC. It is known that engineers, audio pros in general prefer higher IACC in their working environment but it is also known that lower IACC is preferred generally by all listeners for music enjoyment because it brings spaciousness that is characteristic for real sound sources. Dr Toole explains all this in His book. This "effect" makes the sound reproduction more realistic. What is wrong with that??
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:51 AM   #2259
wesayso is online now wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Isn't it true that a lot of mixing/mastering is done on nearfield monitor speakers? And yet most reproduce the music in the farfield on most speakers. Line arrays keep you in that nearfield and remove the floor/ceiling reflection.
What's wrong with that?
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:56 AM   #2260
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And since I don't treat my listening room like a mixing room, I can't hear music at all? You can find mixing/mastering rooms with all kind of speakers including dipoles like Martin Logan. I haven't seen any flooders though, but who cares.

Hide this!Advertise here!