Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 12:55 PM   #1771
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcoal View Post
I would like in-wall palcement. That is why that idea arrived. No dufraction at all.

If to do ON-wall SSS - I suppose side speakers should be turned little bit forward.
not necessarily - You can use an array of small drivers and achieve the desired not too low directivity of L and R channels by means of deflectors - half-waveguides (half because only in the front) - could be hinged for convenient adjustment of the amount of attenuation of the L and R components towards the listener
Old 5th October 2012, 01:02 PM   #1772
diyAudio Member

drivers are as "given" in the task. No change. Deflectors are easily possible, really. Thanks, have to think now.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:11 PM   #1773
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
You mean You put them on the <80 Hz sub just next to each other? without any angular separation really?

Yes, more or less side by side, they were 55cm apart (c-t-c).

I've tried even closer, or even mono-tweeter setup I think you were there in those OSD and Stereolith threads

In those cases, localization was mostly fine, with one or two exceptions.
Old 6th October 2012, 02:06 AM   #1774
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Charcoal,

If I understand in your room there is no suitable side walls for SSS and the room is wide ?

Then suggestion would be to use 3 separate speaker in a wide angle and with a matrix. See the Miles linked above. If you use matrix x=0.5 then you can use exactly the same driver configuration as in SSS.

See also CLS's thread on his 3 speaker matrix (also with matrix x=0.5) as the driver connnections are the same as well.

Matrix with x=0.5 is very easy !
Old 7th October 2012, 09:52 AM   #1775
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
I've tried even closer, or even mono-tweeter setup I think you were there in those OSD and Stereolith threads
however mono is different and better than narrow base stereo as You have experienced Yourself anyway, in Your current setup You get all the highs >3 kHz via secondary and higher order celing-floor reflections exclusively yet You donīt miss anything as far as quality of highs and details is concerned vs Your previous experience with high directivity system?

Last edited by graaf; 7th October 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 7th October 2012, 12:12 PM   #1776
diyAudio Member

Elias, width is 5 meters and I can put SSS also easily. Just was looking for ways how to combine such embient effect with Infinite baffle (which has its own advantages also but totally "flat" soundstage)
Old 7th October 2012, 02:20 PM   #1777
diyAudio Member

to Graaf,

The HF of my current system is not entirely from those 2 flooder tweeters. The central channel DML panel also plays all the way to the top. It's dispersion is very wide, nearly half-space. It's quite large in area, too.
Old 7th October 2012, 07:53 PM   #1778
diyAudio Member

Quote:
to Graaf,

The HF of my current system is not entirely from those 2 flooder tweeters. The central channel DML panel
so the panel is driven fullrange (what frequency band exactly?) also when 2 channel stereo is reproduced?

what is then the effect of switching it off? and what what is the effect of switching off the flooder tweeters?
Old 8th October 2012, 01:02 AM   #1779
diyAudio Member

Hi,

It's a 3-ch linear matrix system. Left = L-0.5R / Center = 0.5 (R+L) / Right = R-0.5L

It was originally DML panels for all 3-ch, and then the side channels were replaced by the current OB (for its much narrower dispersion). So I've yet to tried OB alone except briefly tests of the xover tuning in this setup.

It's hard for me to go back to 2-ch stereo.

As to switching off the flooder tweeters, IIRC, the major effects are darker, less spacious. Of couse it's very obvious.

The midrange drivers on OB are all different and wired as parrallel with level shading (loudest at the bottom, quietest at the top). Top 2 are widerangers originally so they can play above 10kHz, the bottom one is a guitar driver and can play (breakup) to 5~6kHz or so. Above 3kHz, the attenuation is shallow (6dB/oct. electrically).

So, direct HF is not completely absent, it's just less than ordinary system.

A side not: the central DML sounds very diffused, too. Although with the size of major visual impact, its sound is very layback - very wide dispersion means only a tiny fraction of sound energy hits the listener directly, all the rest are splashing everywhere in the room.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:06 AM   #1780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As to switching off the flooder tweeters, IIRC, the major effects are darker, less spacious. Of couse it's very obvious.
So, direct HF is not completely absent, it's just less than ordinary system.
the effect of switching off the flooders suggests that there is at least very little direct sound in the top octave which is where the "air, space and sparkle" are

how high does DML reach?

Hide this!Advertise here!