The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 175 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:24 PM   #1741
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Uzhgorod
Has someone tried fullranger (or few way speaker) placed like Graaf`s variant but on ear height but not omni, just like IB, or soffit mounted?
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:33 PM   #1742
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
graaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcoal View Post
Has someone tried fullranger (or few way speaker) placed like Graaf`s variant but on ear height but not omni, just like IB, or soffit mounted?
indeed yes, do a google search or Audio Asylum -- Audio Reviews, Audiophile Forums and Stereo Reviews search for: beveridge "richard orford" - many tests, various speakers, reports generally favourable
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 01:01 AM   #1743
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
...

Did it ever appear to you that you hear those triangles mostly from the center or the outer limits of your acoustic scene, but rarely from say 20?
Very good point

As I remember, triangles in orchestra are indeed mostly at left or right corner. But I've also heard ones close to the center. Have to confirm that again.


to Graaf,

I've tried installed the WG'ed tweeter on the top of mid-OB. (So that's higher than listening position and also no direct sound.)

In that setup, the HF is a bit higher in SPL. Also, the images are higher, too. HF sounds would be floating pretty high, above the listening position. Kind of odd.

When on floor, the HF sound seems fill the whole wall or whole room. I like this much better.


to Markus,

My previous system was horn-based 2-sh stereo. Horn loaded above 200Hz or so, bass was (again) dipole.

The directivity of that system was not very uniform. Mid horn is tractrix, tweeter is this same Dayton 12" circular WG (with huge c-t-c distance). So, that was nowhere near the level of SH-50 (in directivity control).

Also, I haven't had any chance to hear SH-50, let alone in my place.

Nevertheless, with the current system - a mixed bag 3ch - the imaging is almost always better than the real person in room Of course it depends on the recordings, but the images from playback are often clearer and more focused than my talking families in room. Interesting, huh
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 06:57 AM   #1744
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
images from playback are often clearer and more focused than my talking families in room.
Friends of ours have built a new house. All concrete, only straight angles, open floorplan, sparse furniture, no curtains, no rugs. The acoustics is awful. Nearly everybody (including themselves) complains about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 07:08 AM   #1745
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
graaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
to Graaf,

I've tried installed the WG'ed tweeter on the top of mid-OB. (So that's higher than listening position and also no direct sound.)

In that setup, the HF is a bit higher in SPL. Also, the images are higher, too. HF sounds would be floating pretty high, above the listening position. Kind of odd.

When on floor, the HF sound seems fill the whole wall or whole room. I like this much better.
I see thanks what about a midway position ie. mouth of the waveguide about 70-80 cm above the floor?

because on top of the mid-OB's looks like real high like 120-130 cm or more? is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
Nevertheless, with the current system - a mixed bag 3ch - the imaging is almost always better than the real person in room Of course it depends on the recordings, but the images from playback are often clearer and more focused than my talking families in room. Interesting, huh
definitely sounds like a successful multichannel setup - at last
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 07:35 AM   #1746
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
... All concrete, only straight angles, open floorplan, sparse furniture, no curtains, no rugs. ...
Almost like mine

I have curtains, book shelves, CD racks, though. No echo, luckily

Compared with a dead room, the images of real persons in a reflective room are indeed expanded and fuzzy. Dialogs across rooms are also difficult to identify.

Funny that in this very room, sounds from speakers are clearer than the real 'things'. That's interesting



to Graaf,

I can try, but no proper stands readily availible. I have to make them.

I'm afraid normal stools or chairs might be too bulky to introduce some interferences.

ps. the OB is 140cm high, pretty close.

Last edited by CLS; 4th October 2012 at 07:37 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 07:49 AM   #1747
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
Compared with a dead room, the images of real persons in a reflective room are indeed expanded and fuzzy. Dialogs across rooms are also difficult to identify.
Some music genres rely on the "spaciousness effect". That's what makes the listening experience more pleasant. The problem I have with this approach is that it doesn't work with TV/Movies and music genres that are made for dry acoustics (everything percussive). I'd like to have a solution that let's me switch the effect on and off or adjust its level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
Funny that in this very room, sounds from speakers are clearer than the real 'things'.
Speakers don't move, people do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 07:53 AM   #1748
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
graaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
to Graaf,

I can try, but no proper stands readily availible. I have to make them.

I'm afraid normal stools or chairs might be too bulky to introduce some interferences.
with such a directional waveguide I believe that simple stools standing next to equipment racks would do just fine

or perhaps You can just use the racks
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 12:45 PM   #1749
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
graaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
meanwhile from another thread directivity plots (by Keyser, thank You! ) for Dayton HR12W used by CLS for his flooder tweeter:

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 12:46 PM   #1750
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Uzhgorod
If we put directly in side walls some fullrangers - we improve also tonal balance (no BStep) and difraction issues, but due to high directivity of speakers, HF could be not enough and may be quantity of reflected sound against direct would be even mre than needed.

In such case may be good solution - central channel in the middle of the room bitween sidewall speakers: add some HF direct sound and will make soundstage "bulletproof" Someone tried?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using a diffuser cone for up-firing speakers tspringer99 Multi-Way 19 23rd July 2014 02:04 AM
Floor Standing Speakers. gurpreetsingh Full Range 11 12th June 2012 06:42 AM
side/ rear firing speakers Good/Bad? mcmahon48 Multi-Way 1 6th February 2009 12:28 PM
How far can the driver of a down-firing sub be from the floor? The Paulinator Subwoofers 11 16th May 2007 08:10 PM
Woofer: side firing pair vs front firing? tcpip Multi-Way 13 9th September 2005 02:13 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2