The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 162 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2011, 12:24 PM   #1611
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Test your center image with mono recordings. Simple. I happen to like the sound of 2 channel phantom mono better than single speaker, FWIW.
Me too. The phantom source from the Linkwitz Pluto 2.1's is far more believable than any box sitting between the speakers. Actually it is the best phantom centre I have ever heard, from many, many speakers. This and pin sharp imaging.

Centre speakers are essential if you have listeners sitting way off axis. Certainly they are less problematic in larger rooms where they are less identifiable as a seperate source.

I never hear twin mono with Pluto 2.1, just rock solid central image.
I have heard twin mono effects with other speakers, sometimes frequency dependent.
Also I always have to check if the TV sound is still on when I watch a movie with the Pluto's.
Old 23rd November 2011, 01:22 AM   #1612
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Have you tried 3 Plutos? (If you don't like 'any box'... with one of them at the center of course. )

Old 23rd November 2011, 08:23 AM   #1613
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
Hi,

Have you tried 3 Plutos? (If you don't like 'any box'... with one of them at the center of course. )

How about 3 'Plutos' integrated as one, and vector steered with a matrix ?

- Elias
Old 10th December 2011, 11:08 AM   #1614
diyAudio Member

I guess this is a correct thread to disscuss about flooder, without the fear of moderator's thread split

This week I had good experience with other type of a flooder ! In the office I have small table top speakers and neccessarely they are placed relatively close less than 1 m. Initially they were placed in conventional way facing the listener and lifted at the ear level. The table is placed against a wall corner. The sound is very sensitive of listener placement which in on office environment cannot be guaranteed to be optimal most of the time. The stereo interference field kills the enjoyment totally.

Then I flooded the speakers by turning them facing ceiling, and after adjusting treble level by tone control to compensate the off axis there was an immediate improvement of the stereo sensation. They are still placed at the ear level, and less than 1 m distance. The spaciousness increased dramatically, no longer the sound comes from the small boxes but appears coming far away behind the front wall. Nice !

- Elias
Old 10th December 2011, 11:26 AM   #1615
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
I guess this is a correct thread to disscuss about flooder, without the fear of moderator's thread split

This week I had good experience with other type of a flooder ! In the office I have small table top speakers and neccessarely they are placed relatively close less than 1 m. Initially they were placed in conventional way facing the listener and lifted at the ear level. The table is placed against a wall corner. The sound is very sensitive of listener placement which in on office environment cannot be guaranteed to be optimal most of the time. The stereo interference field kills the enjoyment totally.

Then I flooded the speakers by turning them facing ceiling, and after adjusting treble level by tone control to compensate the off axis there was an immediate improvement of the stereo sensation. They are still placed at the ear level, and less than 1 m distance. The spaciousness increased dramatically, no longer the sound comes from the small boxes but appears coming far away behind the front wall. Nice !

- Elias
Place them now speakers towards wall. so the wall becomes the radiating area.

Last edited by Helmuth; 10th December 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 18th December 2011, 12:15 PM   #1616
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Place them now speakers towards wall. so the wall becomes the radiating area.

That is another concept
Stereophonic Sound from a Single Loudspeaker
Old 18th December 2011, 12:47 PM   #1617
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Something like this.

Lifestyle 135 home entertainment system | Bose
Old 28th June 2012, 09:55 AM   #1618
diyAudio Member

Default Layered Sound

So far I have not found references to Shelley Katz on this site. Please look at Discover the hidden layers of music with Shelley Katz where he gives a presentation on the concept of "Layered Sound".
What he appears to be saying is that the focus on pinpoint accuracy of sound reproduction ignores the emotive requirements of sound reproduction. He makes the analogy of his Steinway live vs. reproduced via high quality speakers.
His solution is to combine traditional high quality speakers producing so-called coherent sound, together with his transverse wave panel speakers. These speakers (see Podium) are excited by a set of drivers so as to add the resonances (incoherent sounds) which are typical in a live environment but which are generally lost in the close-miking recording process.
This works providing we are prepared to abandon the attempt of recreating the ambience of the original location in preference to our own ambience, via the flat-panel speakers.
This is an interesting proposal and might account for the popularity of some older speakers which bring their resonances and "character" into play and which at the same time enhance the listening experience.
So, I really wanted to ask if anyone in this forum is following any of this development.
Personally I am all for abandoning the search for ultimate detailed reproduction (of sounds!) in favour for maximal involvement in the reproduction. This seems to be the direction in which Shelly Katz is going. I am also wondering whether his comments are not a critique of recording methods currently being used which lead to a lack of ambience?
George
Old 28th June 2012, 10:57 AM   #1619
Banned

I was waiting for him to pull a white rabbit out of one of the speakers or at least he could have cut his assistant into two parts but there was no magic. Bummer.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:32 AM   #1620
diyAudio Member

Default Layered Sound

Hi,
I did not attend the presentations at TedX, but I did attend a presentation in Cambridge recently. It was very similar except that he went into a little more detail about the future of his loudspeakers.
He seemed to be saying that he had a revised design which would allow the speakers to be manufactured / available (a bit unclear as to what he really meant) at "Maplin prices". Now if he is talking DIY then I am interested in this approach as it really should not be that difficult... once the design has been done of course. And it does not involve any extra electronics, DSP or worse. It does seem to upset some people that we are adding to the "original" sound, but in the sense that the recorded sound is the original sound minus the ambiance, perhaps it could be seen as adding back a little of what we are owed. But, it will nit be the same as what was removed.

George

Hide this!Advertise here!