The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 126 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2010, 05:59 PM   #1251
Banned

ORF Surround techniques
Old 4th April 2010, 06:17 PM   #1252
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Now I read lots of subjective assumptions
Old 4th April 2010, 07:36 PM   #1253
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Could you be more specific? Its hard to dispute a claim that is so general.
Old 4th April 2010, 10:55 PM   #1254
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

No need to
I have nothing against subjective assumptions
Old 5th April 2010, 03:35 AM   #1255
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Now I read lots of subjective assumptions
Where?
Old 5th April 2010, 06:07 AM   #1256
diyAudio Member

I actually wish more people would push for multi channel to happen. Stereo will always be here though d/t portable music--again a good thing for various reasons (one being financial).

I went and tried some out multi channel the other day. If the speakers weren't so terrible, you can see where it would have its advantages. Too bad there was no center channel.

A good stereo set up beats a bad multi channel in my book and there is plenty available for it.

This question would be for Dr. Geddes or Markus: If you had narrow and constant directivity speakers in a multichannel set up, would you still want the mains to cross in front of the listener like you recommend for stereo? Or should they be placed to reduce lateral reflections?

Dr. Geddes, would you recommend your speakers for surround sound? Center channel? or no center channel?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by dantheman; 5th April 2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: inc
Old 5th April 2010, 06:31 AM   #1257
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
I actually wish more people would push for multi channel to happen. Stereo will always be here though d/t portable music--again a good thing for various reasons (one being financial).

A good stereo set up beats a bad multi channel in my book and there is plenty available for it.
I prefer mono for portable music (other than headphone). You're very unlikely to be in an environment where stereo or multi-channel can be used to advantage. Better put the money into one good mono speaker instead of two average stereo speakers.

As for multi-channel, I'm all for it too as long as the additional speakers (and channels if used) are equal quality, if not equal power handling, to the "main" speakers. Just as multiple subs make it easier to get good bass in a room due to flexibility of positioning, multiple full-range speakers make it easier to tame less than ideal rooms.
Old 5th April 2010, 07:15 AM   #1258
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
I actually wish more people would push for multi channel to happen.
It already happened. In case you did not noticed. Many of the major labels released a few "test the market" multichannel Disks (SACD, DVD, even MC DTS CD).

I attended more than a few of the demos as well and was generally left bewildered by the sonic perspective selected by the engineers and not alone in this.

The paying public at large ignored this (oh no - another quadro) gimmick despite now often owning 5.1 Systems.

With no market demand for their gimicked up recordings the majors dropped this quickly.

To be honest, to use multichannel audio in a meaningful way, not gimmicky is not trivial and few engineers have or ever will master it. Most struggle to do something meaningful with 2 Channels of CD-Quality audio, never mind multi channel. I suspect in a decade or two sensible multichannel recordings will become more common and then the infrastructure will exist due to the home movie watching industry.

Ciao T
Old 5th April 2010, 07:51 AM   #1259
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
I prefer mono for portable music (other than headphone). You're very unlikely to be in an environment where stereo or multi-channel can be used to advantage. Better put the money into one good mono speaker instead of two average stereo speakers.

As for multi-channel, I'm all for it too as long as the additional speakers (and channels if used) are equal quality, if not equal power handling, to the "main" speakers. Just as multiple subs make it easier to get good bass in a room due to flexibility of positioning, multiple full-range speakers make it easier to tame less than ideal rooms.
I was actually thinking headphones, but yea, better one good speaker than 2 pieces of junk.

ThorstenL,

Listening to SACD at the moment. It did receive a lot of resistance and thus arguably died. Too bad IMO.
I know what you mean about engineers, but that cheesy stuff is what they thought would sell many people on the new technology. They hooks a couple that got away. Not having a clear market seems to be their problem and caused the eventual demise. One could argue they're not dead yet, just hibernating. The situation was analogous to marketing expensive wine to high school kids. It just doesn't work. High quality music and its equivalent reproduction doesn't have mass market appeal. Drastically compressed pop mp3 rules the day. I have no desire to see it SACD go though. Too much potential there.

Hmmm, just got an idea,

Dan
Old 5th April 2010, 09:16 AM   #1260
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Thanks for the link.
I knew this little spider with the five cardioids and found this thought is too simple. But the evaluation shows it doesn't lie behind.

Hide this!Advertise here!