The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 116 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2010, 05:46 PM   #1151
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
the "at least 30 cm" recommendation is especially interesting
ps.
Did they write more specifically how the position of Fontanas WRT the walls affected the sound, particularly imaging and soundstaging?

my guess is that they didn't

Last edited by graaf; 30th March 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 30th March 2010, 07:19 PM   #1152
Rudolf is online now Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
ps.
Did they write more specifically how the position of Fontanas WRT the walls affected the sound, particularly imaging and soundstaging?

my guess is that they didn't
Sorry, there is nothing mentioned about the difference between at the walls and 30 cm away. They do emphazise that the Fontanas are "as well suited as front speakers in an HT as doing exceptional duty as surround speakers, where a very diffuse background soundfield is imperative".

And the resumee ends with "In combination with the slight, but balanced loudness characteristic we see a loudspeaker which is equally suited for demanding background sound reproduction as for the focused indulgence of music".

Rudolf
Old 30th March 2010, 10:03 PM   #1153
diyAudio Member

Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers And Rooms By Floyd Tool Loudspeakers, Rooms, and Books Aren't Perfect Review By Howard W. Ferstler Boston Audio Society Speaker Volume 31 No. 1

Quote:
There is no mention of the omni-directional approach to speaker radiation patterns
Old 31st March 2010, 01:35 AM   #1154
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If you guys don't get back to the topic and stop the silly bickering, this thread will close. 1st warning.
Old 31st March 2010, 05:44 AM   #1155
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
These files are seriously distorted. You should remove them if your "system" can do better than that.
It's probably your speakers. They sound 3-D on my speakers. But yes this is definitely not the way I recommend listening to stereo and I believe it's generally the reason mastering engineers will keep everything to the front 60 - it's very unpredictable what is going to happen with different speakers with out of speaker tricks. But I have a feeling someone with some better speakers is hearing exactly what is going on in those files - on my system these files produce what wave synthesis will refer to as holograms I think.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:32 PM   #1156
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
It's probably your speakers. They sound 3-D on my speakers. But yes this is definitely not the way I recommend listening to stereo and I believe it's generally the reason mastering engineers will keep everything to the front 60 - it's very unpredictable what is going to happen with different speakers with out of speaker tricks. But I have a feeling someone with some better speakers is hearing exactly what is going on in those files - on my system these files produce what wave synthesis will refer to as holograms I think.
I don't think that my Geddes Nathans have any problems. Your "system" probably just doesn't work.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:45 PM   #1157
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

More OT posts removed
Old 31st March 2010, 01:08 PM   #1158
Banned

Toole's book is probably the most well-grounded summary of domestic audio reproduction. He does not speak about omnidirectional speakers because there are none. It's all about the more basic concept of directivity which he discusses in detail. There's tons of other valuable information in the book that I consider basic knowledge for everybody that wants to talk about audio reproduction.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:22 PM   #1159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He does not speak about omnidirectional speakers because there are none.
? in what sense?
Old 31st March 2010, 01:23 PM   #1160
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't think that my Geddes Nathans have any problems. Your "system" probably just doesn't work.
Yeah yeah you can quit the guessing anytime. Your speakers are most likely not tightly matched. You ever try to null cancel test them?

Hide this!Advertise here!