The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers - Page 115 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2010, 09:55 PM   #1141
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
My standard that I am about to explain will be adopted one way or the other because it's the objective truth. ... But I am going to prove it to a certain extent soon.
Pretty big words. Looking forward to finally see that prove.

Can you please post the files as Apple Lossless or AAC too?
Old 29th March 2010, 11:02 PM   #1142
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Oops user error on those first files - I am really tired sorry. Throw those away if you downloaded them they are garbage.

zSHARE - THE ROOTS - Y_All Know Who.flac
zSHARE - The Pharcyde - Officer.flac
zSHARE - Gnarls Barkley - Crazy.flac

Ogg
zSHARE - THE ROOTS - Y_All Know Who.ogg
zSHARE - The Pharcyde - Officer.ogg
zSHARE - Gnarls Barkley - Crazy.ogg

I think I can do AAC but I refuse to use Apple Lossless. Really FLAC is compatible with a mac just get a better player.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:23 PM   #1143
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

I dunno I messed up the SRC or something on those but really I am too tired to make some more. I will come back later or something I just need to take a nap or I will just keep making silly mistakes like that. For now those files still give you the general idea of how far you can push stereo. It's pretty surrounding but it's not without it's problems imo. Basically trying to suck an elephant through a straw. Quad is much more natural.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:35 PM   #1144
Banned

What's wrong with Apple Lossless? AAC would be nice because FLAC is not really supported under OS X.
Old 30th March 2010, 02:01 AM   #1145
poptart is offline poptart  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeah apple are as bad as MS ever was with that" not invented here", protectionist **. I use an open source media player called VLC and set it to open everything instead of quicktime. It's not a replacement for itunes, but it will play pretty much any audio or video file you'll ever encounter.

VLC media player for Mac OS X
Old 30th March 2010, 02:10 AM   #1146
Banned

I have VLC but it has issues with FLAC.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:19 AM   #1147
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

another nice omni project: A 2-way Omni experiment

interesting is that the builder read Toole's book

seems that the reading didn't affect His hearing

BTW an extract from a review of similar project from "Klang+Ton":

Quote:
"The most noticeable feature (...) is impressively stable spatial music reproduction: (...) At almost any point in the room, the spatial positioning of the sound sources is excellent."
"...Fontana offers spatial positioning qualities of the finest grade and in particular almost complete freedom of movement in the room."
Are they suggesting that this thing can have anything in common with good imaging?

note that what they are talking about is actually a sonic disaster (according to book worshippers)
according to the books it cannot have nothing like good imaging

clearly something must be wrong with them...

with the guys from Klang+Tone of course

best,
graaf

Last edited by graaf; 30th March 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 30th March 2010, 01:00 PM   #1148
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
BTW an extract from a review of similar project from "Klang+Ton":
Quote:
"The most noticeable feature (...) is impressively stable spatial music reproduction: (...) At almost any point in the room, the spatial positioning of the sound sources is excellent."
"...Fontana offers spatial positioning qualities of the finest grade and in particular almost complete freedom of movement in the room."
This review you are talking about is exactly a dozen years old. I take the freedom to cite another passage of the review:
"As an omnidirectional speaker the Fontana should under no circumstances be placed directly at a wall and by no means in a corner. Reasonable are at least 30 cm distance to the next wall - more is preferable."

Quote:
clearly something must be wrong with them... with the guys from Klang+Tone of course
In the same issue of "Klang+Ton" you find a test of "Home Cinema" woofers. 4 drivers out of 10 tested have the VISATON badge on the magnet

Rudolf
Old 30th March 2010, 02:48 PM   #1149
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
Oops user error on those first files - I am really tired sorry. Throw those away if you downloaded them they are garbage.

zSHARE - THE ROOTS - Y_All Know Who.flac
zSHARE - The Pharcyde - Officer.flac
zSHARE - Gnarls Barkley - Crazy.flac

Ogg
zSHARE - THE ROOTS - Y_All Know Who.ogg
zSHARE - The Pharcyde - Officer.ogg
zSHARE - Gnarls Barkley - Crazy.ogg

I think I can do AAC but I refuse to use Apple Lossless. Really FLAC is compatible with a mac just get a better player.
These files are seriously distorted. You should remove them if your "system" can do better than that.
Old 30th March 2010, 05:12 PM   #1150
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
1. Thought you would be interested in knowing another valuable part of the review.
yes indeed! thank You

the "at least 30 cm" recommendation is especially interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
2. Thought you would like some information about the credibility of the reviewer. Till this day he is notorious for "very friendly" relations with parts of the industry.
oh yes, but why should the reviewer exactly marvel at the imaging of the Fontanas?
supposedly their Achilles' heel?

I would accept that bias argument if He marvelled at other qualities and passed over the supposed problem of blurred imaging and so on
It would make sense then

Don't You think?

best,
graaf

Hide this!Advertise here!