The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

As a matter of fact, I think it works the other way around, and the way Geddes for example feels a need to heavily dampen the space behind the speakers provides anacdotal evidency for this. Controlled directivity speakers in general have very sloppy and eratic frequency response outside the listening window. In other words, the sound that emanates from the sides and rear of a controlled directivity loudspeaker can be substantially different from what comes out of the front. Sufficiently different for the reflections not to be suppressed by the Haas effect, which as a result makes them audible.

I agree - the narrow directivity approach creates the problem of incoherent reflections

FYI: my present setup comprises of speakers with very wide dispersion in a listening room (4.5x8x3.3) which is completely untreated and with furniture with only hard surfaces. I do hear quite a bit of room, but nevertheless, imaging is pin point precise.

no surprise
and You hear a bit of the room because it is rather big :)

So the only requirement for optimal sound reproduction is high similarity of direct sound and reflections, so our brain can filter them out, i.e. listening to fully constant directivity speakers in bathroom-like rooms with tiles all around has to be considered as optimal? Something's certainly wrong with that notion :)

on the contrary, but You miss one important point

Moulton put it aptly:

let's have a perfectly reflective space for 50 milliseconds and then let's have no reflections or reverb after that. So let's have all the early delays with as little frequency response change and as little amplitude loss as possible, and then nothing after that.

for example:
I stick in a huge absorber behind the speakers that takes out as much of the broadband stuff as I can manage. The theory is that if you can get everything down 20 dB at that point, there is no reverb time-or, the reverb time is 50 milliseconds (assuming you have a room that's 25 feet deep; if it's a smaller room it'll be even shorter).

Who said optimal? I mentioned I can hear a lot of room.

because there is too much of "after that" (50 ms) :)

And yes, sound quality in real rooms benefits from speakers that do not have sharp transitions between the listening window and the sound produced further off axis.

absolutely

Reflections within the room will always have this "sameness" in that no matter what recording is playing, the reflective pattern will always be the same.

"in that" yes but not audibly :) because:

if you take a look at what's really going on in recordings, playback rooms are generally small and the early reflections happen very quickly-whereas in a recording space (or simulation of a recording space that we do with artificial reverb), those reflections are much, much later in time.

What happens is that the early reflections of the playback room carry information about the recording room quite well.

"in that" yes but not audibly :) because:

And I would add that this is the case if there was higher direct to reflection ratio. He did not state anything about a flooder, and since I don't know a single studio that uses them, It can only mean he is referring to a front firing speaker, not a flooder.

I notice that not one of your links you have provided as support of your points mentions a flooder. It just mentions reflections. Also none of them mention reflections coming from the ceiling either, so you don't have a lot of support for your ceiling reflection argument - just a lot of ambiguous statements and references.

You seem to love to quote Moulton, but you avoid this point like the plague.

Both Floyd Toole of Harman International and Joe D'Appolito, who's a fairly well known speaker and systems designer, made the case: we now know that wide dispersion of high frequencies, resulting in a reasonably flat power response laterally, is ideal behavior.

NB: Why laterally and not vertically?

DRM: Right now there seems to be a fairly clear sense that vertical reflections (from the floor to the ceiling) tend to upset our perception.

Toole and D'Appolito both talk about wide LATERAL reflections as being complementary, not ceiling or floor reflections. So it is not just reflections in general, it is reflections with a time component coming from specific directions. Hodas, Holmanson, Erskine, Grimani, Huston and many others have stated this over and over.

Last edited:
And I would add that this is the case if there was higher direct to reflection ratio.

why?

I notice that not one of your links you have provided as support of your points mentions a flooder. It just mentions reflections.

"just reflections"? an analysis of influence of reflections on audio quality shows why FCUFS simply must be better

You seem to love to quote Moulton, but you avoid this point like the plague.

who? me? this was discussed zillion times before

yes, I absoultely agree that "vertical reflections (from the floor to the ceiling) tend to upset our perception." - vertical reflections produced by a conventional forward firing loudspeaker

it is not just reflections in general, it is reflections with a time component coming from specific directions.

this is my point exactly

What do You think - which is better for audio quality - an incoherent reflection delayed by ca 2.5 ms or a coherent one delayed by ca 6 ms?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My experience with stereo(even with reflections added) never gave me the "you are there" effect. The best systems were great at bringing the performer in the room, but not transporting me to the concert hall, arena, or performance hall.
Agree, that has also been my experience with small to medium sized speakers in a typical small to medium size room. But as the room and speakers get bigger, that starts to change.
You really need the recorded ambiance coming from the sides and rear to transport yourself to the recording location.
That does help a lot for most rooms & systems*. But with the right room and system, it isn't needed. It wouldn't sound bad, it just isn't needed. The stereo illusion can be so profound that you just forget there isn't anything else. I certainly never would have believed it, had I not heard it. So I understand why most people don't believe it's possible.

For practical and budget reasons multi-channel is the way to go and works great. Pure stereo can do it, but it takes space and money to get the effect.

*I don't know at what size this starts to kick in. My listening room is about 3400 cu ft and it's not big enough. I have heard the effect starting in rooms that I would guess at about 5000~7000 cu ft. Wish I knew where the tipping point is, if there is one.

For practical and budget reasons multi-channel is the way to go and works great. Pure stereo can do it, but it takes space and money to get the effect.
There are a number of ways, the ear/brain is very forgiving if you give it the right ammunition. Personally, I've found space and money to be unnecessary, focus and fussiness in refining every link in the chain of an otherwise conventional system will also succeed, the only disadvantage of the latter will be that there is a hard limit on the peak level of sound because the voltage rails of the amplifier will not be large enough.

ps. Ad:

So it is not just reflections in general, it is reflections with a time component coming from specific directions.

this is my point exactly
What do You think - which is better for audio quality - an incoherent reflection delayed by ca 2.5 ms or a coherent one delayed by ca 6 ms?

not only twice as much delayed but also 6 dB quieter (propagation loss) for the same reason which is sound path being twice as long

I don't know at what size this starts to kick in. My listening room is about 3400 cu ft and it's not big enough. I have heard the effect starting in rooms that I would guess at about 5000~7000 cu ft. Wish I knew where the tipping point is, if there is one.
In HiFi shows of the past it was common to have a live band play in an auditorium. The musicians were recorded and replayed over loudspeakers in the same auditorium. This used to be a very convincing exercise. Why? Because the replay could use the same room acoustics as the original.

Most of us don't have a problem with the "girl and guitar" reproduced at home. It fits in our rooms - even if it is "she is here". It becomes a problem if the recorded room acoustics differ too much from what we have in our listening space. I believe that listening to larger ensemble recordings in larger rooms is more convincing simply because of this better fit of recording/reproduction room sizes.

Rudolf

Correct and that's why the sound reproduction concept "speakers working as instruments" is pretty limited. Multichannel on the other hand can bring large room acoustics into small rooms.

not just multichannel because :

When the listening room provides artificially added reflections, the presentation can become more "you're there". It's like the front wall of the listening room has been removed and opens into the auditory space of the recording.

not for the first time I can see contradictions in Your posts

Real envelopment (LEV) requires additional speakers at the back. The effect is profound and nobody that has heard it would ever argue about the superiority of multichannel over stereo. Obviously a lot of people here haven't heard good multichannel setups/recordings.

LEV is an important factor in QUALITY of auditoria but even then NOT of all of them:
Leo Beranek's paper "Listener Envelopment LEV, Strength G and Reverberation Time RT in Concert Halls" 2010:

In all of the non-shoebox halls, the audience seating extends nearly to the ceiling on one or more of the four sidewall surfaces. Thus, energy is removed there before the reverberant field is established

LEV per se is not a requirement for realism whereas ASW/spaciousness is such a requirement

Last edited:
Multichannel on the other hand can bring large room acoustics into small rooms.

And the multichannel setup makes the small room even smaller...

Don't get me wrong, I would always recommend a multichannel setup. But the reality, at least in Germany, is: too many people can not place 5 good speakers + subwoofers in their room. They eat up too much space, and although the user might have a great listening system, he has no more space to live. People interested in multichannel ("surround") often bought very small speakers to put on the wall, and that was OK for movies, but definitely not OK for hifi audio.

That is one reason why multichannel audio is nearly dead. Other reasons include the manufacturers, which still think that "multichannel" is a synonym for "home theater" and offer only such speakers. And the electronics is Stereo, too, except of those big A/V amps offered by japanese companies, which are never even considered as an alternative in the HighEnd world.

That is one reason why multichannel audio is nearly dead.

I agree and the situation is not going to change for the same reasons that You have stated

but as You say:

I would always recommend a multichannel setup.

then question is whether a multichannel setup really has any advantages over 2 channel as far as realism of sound reproduction is concerned

or perhaps it is all just about some impressive effects?

just to quote Peter Walker's of QUAD opinion on multichannel:

It's just that you don't need these sounds in the back, they're not musically very interesting.

the opinion referred to the multichannel of the 70s ie. quadrophony, of course, but it's a general statement and I think that it holds true with regard to any rear channels

I agree and the situation is not going to change for the same reasons that You have stated

but as You say:

then question is whether a multichannel setup really has any advantages over 2 channel as far as realism of sound reproduction is concerned

or perhaps it is all just about some impressive effects?

just to quote Peter Walker's of QUAD opinion on multichannel:

the opinion referred to the multichannel of the 70s ie. quadrophony, of course, but it's a general statement and I think that it holds true with regard to any rear channels

Wiring two rear channels in series with the positive terminals of the amplifier can be fun sometimes :)