The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Not sure what exactly you guys are discussing but the delay of the ceiling and floor reflection varies relative to the direct sound with source/receiver position and ceiling height. Please see
Floor/Ceiling Reflection Calculator

Sure the delay depends on the distance, but the question was not about the delay but the angle relative to the median plane, which is the same for direct sound and for ceiling (and floor) reflection.

The ITD remains the same (for simple head model) since all the sources (the real source plus the two virtual sources) are located on the surface of the same cone.

- Elias

Sure the delay depends on the distance, but the question was not about the delay but the angle relative to the median plane, which is the same for direct sound and for ceiling (and floor) reflection.

The ITD remains the same (for simple head model) since all the sources (the real source plus the two virtual sources) are located on the surface of the same cone.

- Elias

I guess the confusion was about ITD and ITDG.

Elias, what would you say about a physical barrier with dipoles, ambio like, all the way from the nose to the front wall? Is it worth trying at all? anything to be gained?

I was into it 10 years ago. I know it works very well. Simplest barrier is a matress, everyone should have one at their house. Testing it is no problem since all you need to do for starters is the barrier and move your speakers close to each others.

At the time I did try dipoles too, they were dipoles in the midrange.

This kind of stereo presentation is however opposite of what this thread is trying to achieve. Ambiophonics assumes no room, and it will most likely benefit from added room absorption. So one cannot say Ambiophonics works in harmony with the room.

Another thing which I found limiting was the smallish listening spot. If you are willing to remain in the spot, then it is better than conventional stereo triangle. But if you find the spot considerable limiting your freedom, like I find, then I have moved on to look for alternatives.

I've come to the conclusion that if the requirement is to have no sweet spot, the room is there for your service. So take an advantage of your room reflections, do not fight against them.

- Elias

take an advantage of your room reflections, do not fight against them.
- Elias

problem is that people just love to fight and to FORCE things and to spend as much money on weapons as possible and to boast about their weapons :p

not just in war - in pretty much every area of life

which explains why such an intelligent approach has not won more popularity so far, because:
most hi end consumers [=trendsetters for serious hifi industry] would rather spend thousands on tweeking a room rather than buying a loudspeaker that uses the room to its benefit

on room treatments and on boutique cabling ;)

too good a loudspeaker is just bad for the business

an old friend of mine (where are You???) once told me a story

He has a very advanced unconventional speaker setup, not an orthodox flooder or any other "type" - quite one of a kind, but also a result of out-of-the-box thinking

He was visited by a guy - a hi-end audiophile (Tidal speakers, Mark Levinson electronics, boutique cables, diamond tweeters etc.), the guy almost laughed at what He saw and what certainly looked to him as a mess of weird garbage but then he was quite floored by the SOUND and finally said to my friend: "what's that ? I have never heard such a thing"

most funny in all this was that the guy marvelled at a classical music recording that was ..."an ordinary 224 mp3"

...because when the space is done correctly, when there is this overwhelming sense of realism, many details - various audiophile obsessions - become unimportant, submerged beneath the BEAUTY OF MUSIC that just flows into your soul

Last edited:
...because when the space is done correctly, when there is this overwhelming sense of realism, many details - various audiophile obsessions - become unimportant, submerged beneath the BEAUTY OF MUSIC that just flows into your soul

Sure, same happens sometimes with the crappy car radio back from work.. but.. that's because the music IS beautiful. Who cares about top of the range audiophile recordings in caves hitting sticks and bones, meaningless!

I agree with you, and I also put space rendering as top priority, but the system has to work with all recordings.

Sure, same happens sometimes with the crappy car radio back from work.. but.. that's because the music IS beautiful. Who cares about top of the range audiophile recordings in caves hitting sticks and bones, meaningless!

I agree with you, and I also put space rendering as top priority, but the system has to work with all recordings.

certainly - therefore I think that an adjustable loudspeaker is needed, or just a suitable monitor-type loudspeaker (separate subwoofers) and an adjustable speaker stand which would allow simple and fast adjusting height, toeing in and out and tilting the loudspeaker back and forth

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
problem is that people just love to fight and to FORCE things
For me it was always more of desperation to find something that I knew must have existed but I couldn't find. Listening to people that didn't always understand what they were talking about...and that included myself. Brute force makes good when you're trying to learn. Makes for a good hobby :)

Sure, same happens sometimes with the crappy car radio back from work..
Some crappy car radios really had me scratching my head. Of course now, I can surmise what it was about them, and they were always good at something but never good at everything.

Just found these 'flooders'

Pres Speakers
Pres 1981-83

Hsystemfront.jpg

1989DUAL%202.jpg

during.JPG

Sorry Markus, I understood it the wrong way.. Flooder like.

I've tried that but it's nothing you want to do because the ceiling reflection leads to coloration and adds not much to perceived spaciousnes. Worst case the ceiling reflection lifts certain sounds to an unnaturally high location.
Reflections from the sides and from side-high are more desirable. Try toeing them out.

Last edited:
I've tried that but it's nothing you want to do because the ceiling reflection leads to coloration and adds not much to perceived spaciousnes. Worst case the ceiling reflection lifts certain sounds to an unnaturally high location.

That is not the perception I get. Currently I have 3 speaker matrix all aimed directly to the ceiling.

I don't perceive sounds unnaturally elevated. Aiming to ceiling adds to spaciousness.
In comparison if speakers are aimed to the listener typically the image stays at the speakers.

I don't have any acoustic treatments in my room except normal furnituring, curtains, carpet, wall decorations, paintings etc.

You have to get rid of your front wall absorption ! That is the failure !

- Elias