The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Wouldn't that be the same as placing the 1 element flooder in front corner ? No 1st order floor, 1st order side wall and 1st order front wall reflections.
- Elias

one element flooder which is horizontally omnidirectional would produce some very early 1st order side wall and 1st order front wall reflections and a strong 1st order contralateral side-wall reflection plus 1st order rear wall reflection much louder than in case of a flooded directional array

one element flooder which is horizontally omnidirectional would produce some very early 1st order side wall and 1st order front wall reflections and a strong 1st order contralateral side-wall reflection plus 1st order rear wall reflection much louder than in case of a flooded directional array

Well, obviously it depends how one success in integration into the corner.

Contralateral reflection will reamain, sure, but at higher freqs not much if practically at all depending on the size of the driver, and anyway less than normal stereo speakers toed in.

Well, obviously it depends how one success in integration into the corner.

Contralateral reflection will reamain, sure, but at higher freqs not much if practically at all depending on the size of the driver, and anyway less than normal stereo speakers toed in.

yes, I presume imperfect integration into the corner and rather wide dispersion, perhaps wrongly, because, interestingly, with higher directivity, like in the original "Fostex 8" flooder" what flooder achieves is in fact a kind of a virtual ceiling speaker because as measurements and listening tests have shown ceiling reflection dominates over the direct sound

this is a virtual ceiling speaker with one very important advantage over a real one - a real ceiling speaker produces a very strong 1st order floor reflection, a virtual one - none

Last edited:
this is a virtual ceiling speaker with one very important advantage over a real one - a real ceiling speaker produces a very strong 1st order floor reflection, a virtual one - none

More than once I've been thinking about ceiling speakers, and were pondering why not hang flooders. At least below about 1kHz it does not matter if a reflection comes above or below as long it has the same incidence angle relative to sagittal plane.

High freqs are different of course, and I think something coming from above is not so harmful than coming from below, since evolutionary we didn't expose much to above sounds at savannah so they are not strong indicators.

- Elias

More than once I've been thinking about ceiling speakers, and were pondering why not hang flooders. At least below about 1kHz it does not matter if a reflection comes above or below as long it has the same incidence angle relative to sagittal plane.

High freqs are different of course, and I think something coming from above is not so harmful than coming from below, since evolutionary we didn't expose much to above sounds at savannah so they are not strong indicators.

- Elias

yes, and therefore a real ceiling speaker is a bad idea and a virtual - ceiling reflection of a flooder - is good

accidentally I came across an interesting thread at Swedish forum: http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?...ic&t=42223&postdays=0&postorder=asc&list=full

James Croft participates in the discussion and he declares that Snell "Type 1" was his design and explains where the idea came from:

Yes, I came up with the concept for the Snell Type One, but in late 1976, when I did a patent search, I found Snell's original patent (US 3,964,571) had somewhat anticipated the idea, even though he was producing only the Type A at the time. So, I contacted Peter Snell and presented the concept to him, along with sketches of my configuration and test data (Mine was 8" two way, Audax and Peerless, Snell's was 10" two way Audax all around). It wasn't very nice looking, and it wasn't very practical with a 60 cm 'tongue' sticking out for people to trip over, but the performance was rather special.

overall interesting discussion, most of it in English, the guy appreciates advantages of Beveridge placement (discussing Swedish Bremen speakers) and of flooder-type arrangement which he calls "a speaker boundary coupled close to the floor" while on the other hand he appreciates Dr Geddes' Summa as well

and here from a thread from the same forum documenting DIY-ing some Carlsson style flooders:

http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=502903

Mr Croft's post from 2011-01-28 09:23 is particularly interesting, he comments on the fact that there were soundstage height issues with Snell "Type 1":

the one problem with my original approach, and the production Type One, was that the image is too low... similar to sitting up in the balcony and looking down at the orchestra

now according to Mr Croft:
It IS possible, by a few different methods, to raise the height of the sound stage with the speaker boundary coupled close to the floor.
The psycho-acoustics of the situation is that we receive most of our information relative to image height from frequencies above 4 kHz, at least when we keep our head perfectly vertical. in actuality, we are always tilting our heads sideways a small amount as we listen to music and this allows our ear/brain system to start to use left/right ear comparison for vertical imaging, which lowers the frequency sensitivity down below 1 kHz for vertical detection.

Even so, one approach is to use the midrange or woofer/midrange driver floor coupled, while placing the tweeter up at ear level, crossing over at about 2 to 3 kHz with precision 8th order slope crossovers to minimize lobing in the vertical polar response at and near the crossover frequency. With this approach the tweeter provides the height information ... This approach has a number of things that have to be carefully optimized to work effectively ... but it can be made to work reasonably well.

Another approach is to use both the tweeter and midrange drivers boundary coupled to the floor, and use altered frequency response above 4 kHz to mimic the pinna derived frequency changes that normally tell the ear/brain system that an image is elevated. While this can work, it tends to vary in its effectiveness depending on the listener. Additionally, the ripple that one needs to invoke to get this effect is difficult to optimize for a variety of reasons
Again, I must mention that there are many subtle issues that must be dealt with to make these types of approaches work well without side effects causing audible tonal and spatial colorations.

in the light of the foregoing and IF Mr Croft is right then it is easy to understand why the soundstage height is unrestricted in the case of the original flooder that is a floor coupled upfiring single 8 inches whizzer cone fullrange driver, it suffices to look at directivity plot of a typical driver of this kind:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

obviously most of the energy of the 1<4 kHz frequency band reaches the listener via the ceiling reflection - so the ceiling reflection effectively becomes a virtual ceiling tweeter - a virtual one because it generates no its own early 1st order floor reflection

the frequency of the "crossover" between the floor coupled "midwoofer" and the "virtual tweeter" is determined by listener's distance, ceiling height and the angle at which the fullrange unit fires upwards

I had similar experience with my monoflooder test.

If the speaker was facing directly or almost directly the ceiling, it was impossible to locate the speaker and sound was coming from front but not from low.

But if I turned the speaker a bit facing more to the listening area the speaker immediately become localised or the sound was coming from low angle.

Then I don't know how well Snell speaker satisfied the purpose in the first place. Maybe it never become popular for this reason, who knows.

- Elias

this one looks like a suitable loudspeaker for a floor coupled up-firing configuration (FCUFC? ;) ) it's an 8 inches Tannoy concentric

ps.
for the listener's distance from the speaker of ~250 cm and ceiling height of ~250 cm as well the direct sound that reaches the listener is radiated by the speaker at ~70 degrees and the sound reflected via ceiling is radiated by the speaker at ~35 degrees

Attachments

• 8 inches Tannoy concentric.jpg
    8 inches Tannoy concentric.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
this one looks like a suitable loudspeaker for a floor coupled up-firing configuration (FCUFC? ;) ) it's an 8 inches Tannoy concentric

ps.
for the listener's distance from the speaker of ~250 cm and ceiling height of ~250 cm as well the direct sound that reaches the listener is radiated by the speaker at ~70 degrees and the sound reflected via ceiling is radiated by the speaker at ~35 degrees

I have been thinking that we have on this forum reports from very diverse yet effective applications of the FCUFC principle including some speakers with much wider dispersion than 8 inches fullrange or coaxial

so perhaps the source of the Snell "Type 1"'s problem with elevation of the soundstage wasn't inadequate ratio of direct/ceiling reflected sound in the >2kHz band (that is of too much direct vs reflected) - after all the frequency band was handled by a small tweeter in "Type 1" so there certainly was a plenty of ceiling reflected sound

OTOH the crossover frequency was set at 2 kHz and the midfoower was 10 inches firing forward, just slightly tilted back, so most probably there was very little ceiling reflected sound in the 1<2 kHz band and in addition to that a very early floor reflection off the "wheelchair ramp" reached the listener, it didn't cause any frequency response related problems because the angles of the baffle and the "ramp" had been carefully calculated and matched BUT the problem of perception of the impulse reflected off the floor (the "ramp") remained - and the speaker thus was partly unmasked as physical source of sound at a particular height causing sometimes perception of the soundstage that was too low

Attachments

• Snell Type 1.jpg
    Snell Type 1.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 229
I'm not convinced yet. Looks like Snell "Type 1" tweeter has too much direct sound. This is similar to my flooder experiments where aiming the box more towards the listening area than the ceiling resulted localisation of the speaker at the floor or the direction of the sound was very low.

And, in my experience in the flooder type of a speaker the direct sound to reflection ratio should be very small. This could be listener dependent however ! If one looks results from any typical psychoacoustic test, therre are individual variances in the order of several dB. This difference could lead to quite different speaker design depending of the individual.

Maybe Snell designed the speaker mostly for himself, and found it to satisfy his own perception.

Similar possible occurance comes in mind with Walter Schubach with Stereolith speaker. Possibly :)

- Elias

Last edited:
interesting discussion:
A round table about room acoustics, and bass traps.

Mr Peter Lyngdorf:
I’ve done a lot of testing on the effects of reflections in rooms, and there was a big, big project in Denmark about twelve years ago, with a lot of companies involved in investigating effects of reflections in rooms. I had the pleasure of being a test person, where we could actually simulate the audible effect of the floor reflection, sidewall reflection, ceiling reflection, and so on independently. The single most disturbing reflection in the room is the floor reflection. That is what makes the speaker sound like a radio and not like the actual event. ... The floor reflection absolutely must be handled

I'm not convinced yet. Looks like Snell "Type 1" tweeter has too much direct sound. This is similar to my flooder experiments where aiming the box more towards the listening area than the ceiling resulted localisation of the speaker at the floor or the direction of the sound was very low.

what kind of speaker You used for Your tests?

tilted position results both in higher direct/reflected ratio and audibility of a floor reflection

This could be listener dependent however ! If one looks results from any typical psychoacoustic test, therre are individual variances in the order of several dB. This difference could lead to quite different speaker design depending of the individual.

Maybe Snell designed the speaker mostly for himself, and found it to satisfy his own perception.

Similar possible occurance comes in mind with Walter Schubach with Stereolith speaker. Possibly :)

- Elias

yes, that's possible

what kind of speaker You used for Your tests?

tilted position results both in higher direct/reflected ratio and audibility of a floor reflection

It was a normal 2-way 12 l box with 1" dome tweeter and 6.5" bass.

There could have been floor reflection with tilted position, but the speaker was also on the floor with tweeter height about 20 cm. In addition there was carpet below the speaker and between the listening position.

On the other hand Snell type 1 also has floor reflection for the tweeter.