The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Hi,

yes, "loudspeakers and room as a system"

Yup. Absolutely. And highly reflective room surfaces for most of the room mean that the only way to promote direct sound over the reverbrant field is to make them more directional. The alternative is to damp the rooms reverbrant field.

See various books previously cited.

Ciao T

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Fore 15 years or more I have believed the opinions that omnis cant work, and fore the matter, dipoles as well
I have learned that such general announcements are mostly heresay, related to poorly implemented designs, in general
I wouldnt be surpriced if that concerns almost every type of music reproduction
In my book, any "speaking in general" isnt valid or worth more than the words

As well as I cant claim that all omnis work, just because I have managed to make one work
I may not even have the same luck next time
All I know, it CAN be made to work
I dont know yet which design parameters to rely on
I could fear its having the drivers placed on the floor, and being dipole
Pretty strange
And I perfectly understand why noone believes that
Im surpriced too

Fore 15 years or more I have believed the opinions that omnis cant work, and fore the matter, dipoles as well
I have learned that such general announcements are mostly heresay, related to poorly implemented designs, in general
I wouldnt be surpriced if that concerns almost every type of music reproduction
In my book, any "speaking in general" isnt valid or worth more than the words

What do you mean by "it works"? Are we back to "I like it and that's all what matters"?

I consider my Nathans "tightly matched". I would even go so far to claim they are tighter matched than the majority of speakers. If your "system" relies on an unusual tight speaker matching, then probably not many people will use it because it just would not work for them.

Can you describe the "null cancel test"?

Listen man my speakers cost 100 bucks a pair retail. If you can't get the 3-D sound I am getting from those files it's your problem not mine.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Please remember Im not "advocating" omnis, or anything else for that matter
Im just very open minded
Should I prove my experience with measurements
No way
And why should I
Again, Im not "advocating" anything, so I dont have to prove anything, and Im not trying to either

But I might feel bad about all those many people who get dissapointed when they experience, whatever they may have been lead to believe works, doesnt work so well at all

Basically what I am saying is that it's not my fault that the ENTIRE audio industry is ignoring the sound field. You guys are only looking at the surface of things and designing for that while some of the companies actually know better and have been keeping some secrets to themselves.

Look up the subjective reviews for Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and tell me how they differ from the reviews of Linkwitz's and Gedde's speakers. I have a feeling that IAG might understand this theory about directivity a little better than we do and has been one step ahead of us. Quad from what I know has always had there speakers match with a tight tolerance because maybe they understand stereo sound a little better than the average joe.

Please remember Im not "advocating" omnis, or anything else for that matter
Im just very open minded
Should I prove my experience with measurements
No way
And why should I
Again, Im not "advocating" anything, so I dont have to prove anything, and Im not trying to either

But I might feel bad about all those many people who get dissapointed when they experience, whatever they may have been lead to believe works, doesnt work so well at all

That's also not an answer to my two questions.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Quad from what I know has always had there speakers match with a tight tolerance because maybe they understand stereo sound a little better than the average joe.

I have heard QUADs once, and was dissapointed
But probably because they are dipole and in the wrong room
So I will give them the credit of the doubt
But it may matter that their good reputation is from a time when ALL speakers were poorly designed

btw, I remember another pair of QUADs
They sounded ok driven by a 20watt Hiraga(DIY)

I have heard QUADs once, and was dissapointed
But probably because they are dipole and in the wrong room

Maybe those crucial experiences make up our later preferences ...

I heard an ESL63 the first time in a rather large room with
sufficient distance of the speakers to the walls. They were
crossed over to an "Outsider" active subwoofer.

I loved the Quads immediately although there was a slight
"shallow" bass quality (even with the mono sub) which e.g.
this "advertising pillar" shaped beverdidge model did not have.
It had nothing to do with "too less" bass, difficult to describe.
It also had nothing to do with the bass being dipole.

Quad and Beveridge as well are very directional speakers
and i kept this preference for controled direcivity
although i listened to many other systems during the time.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
btw, I remember another pair of QUADs
They sounded ok driven by a 20watt Hiraga(DIY)

Those wouldn't happen to belong to a tall guy in Paris, would they? I built a Hiraga 20W for a buddy who has a pair.

Thorsten - you gave me a big laugh with the Logan's run Audiorama :rofl:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Great stuff. And doubly funny because I had just run across these on eBay:
!BouD-)Q!mk~$(KGrHqMOKjkEu,Y6OlrWBLok1fssCQ~~_3.JPG

Funky!!
(Item number 120549165362 BTW)