The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

I don't understand why you are working on some "system" (all former attempts have failed) when there IS already a "system" available that overcomes the limitations of stereo: multichannel.

You hear that Earl? Guess we should have gave up making speakers with the invention of the first 2 way according to markus.

I have striven to make the system objectively right and free of euphonics. If there was a commercial product that did exactly what I wanted I would have just used it - that was the original plan. But there isn't one that just worked and worked well, so I had to make it myself.

I don't object to multi-channel, but its certainly not the mainstream today. Will it ever be? Its very hard to tell. For most audio playback situations (common to the guy in the street) multi-channel doesn't add much if anything (cars, headphones, etc.) so as a media source I think that the hill may be too steep to climb. So as of right now 2 channel is still the defacto standard and is going to be for quite awhile yet. I have multi-channel in my listening room now, but I only use it for movies. 99% of my pure listening is 2 channel, but there is some really great multi-channel live performances out there, and some overly mixed crap as well. Only time will tell.

You hear that Earl? Guess we should have gave up making speakers with the invention of the first 2 way according to markus.

That statement does not make any sense at all because it does not refer to anything I said.
Even worse, you didn't respond to anything I asked ("stereo" vs. "stereophonic", "Hafler's dynaquad", your "system").

I have striven to make the system objectively right and free of euphonics. If there was a commercial product that did exactly what I wanted I would have just used it - that was the original plan. But there isn't one that just worked and worked well, so I had to make it myself.

Well, what did you try? Did you try surround?

But to the guys here, multichannel adds exactly what they are obviously missing in 2-channel stereo reproduction: spaciousness.

That is correct. If the playback room itself does not add enough spaciousness without compromising imaging - a very common situation, but not in my rooms - then multi-channel is the best solution, even if it is simulated. Its far better that the crazy schemes being proposed here.

That's because the direct sound is lacking higher frequency because the directivity of big broadband drivers strongly increasing with frequency. You would need to EQ it to be flat on listening axis. I once did this for a B200:

The HX201 and the B200 have a 10 dB rise towards the treble. The reflection "eats" these 10 dB and together with the direct sound the result is fairly flat.
BTW, when I talk about reflection I mean it in a physical sense. I don't think it's a reflection in a psychoacoustic sense. The fact that such a speaker can not be sharply localized speaks for a fusion phenomenon.

The direct sound is perceived in location, pitch and timbre.

The sound within the fusion interval, not the direct sound.

And how big is that? 50 to 100 ms?? Certainly NOT.

The direct sound is perceived in (...) pitch and timbre. under anechoic conditions ONLY - O N L Y

never ever in normal circumstances

not fusion interval but integration time is the right term:
The ear has three integration times in terms of musical sound. After about 5 milliseconds (ms), we are able to perceive more than just a click. This is related to the human inner ear capacity of building up the critical bandwidth for frequency discrimination. The second important time is about 50ms. Here, we begin to hear distinct frequencies, not very accurately, but our ear gives us the chance to perceive a pitch. Then after about 250ms, the whole sound is perceived very well. The pitch can be heard clearly and we have the possibility to discriminate fine structures within the sound.
Rolf Bader, Institute of Musicology, University of Hamburg

after about 50ms we begin to perceive a pitch
after about 250ms the pitch can be heard clearly

Rolf Bader is a professor of Systematic Musicology at the University of Hamburg with a specialization in musical acoustics and signal processing.

ASA 149th Meeting Lay Language Papers Microthythmic characteristics of musical instrument initial transients

thank You

Last edited:
The HX201 and the B200 have a 10 dB rise towards the treble. The reflection "eats" these 10 dB and together with the direct sound the result is fairly flat.
BTW, when I talk about reflection I mean it in a physical sense. I don't think it's a reflection in a psychoacoustic sense. The fact that such a speaker can not be sharply localized speaks for a fusion phenomenon.

I meant it in a physical sense too. What you have basically created with a "ceiling flodder" is a 4 speaker setup: direct sound from two speakers plus two strong single reflections. The sound is localized somewhere between the speaker location and the strong single reflection. The bigger the delay between arrival of direct and reflected sound, the bigger the apparant source width.

I meant it in a physical sense too. What you have basically created with a "ceiling flodder" is a 4 speaker setup: direct sound from two speakers plus two strong single reflections. The sound is localized somewhere between the speaker location and the strong single reflection. The bigger the delay between arrival of direct and reflected sound, the bigger the apparant source width.

source width?

You perhaps mean apparent source height? ;) Or are You just mixing up facts?

Please, show us the data concerning impact of a vertical reflection on sound localisation

(the above request is purely rethorical)

The Carlsson was a commercial product until Stig Carlsson's death and a few years more,

to make myself clear - by "Commercial Sector" I don't mean "every commercial product" but something more specific ;)

is still popular in Sweden and nobody would call it "crazy" there.

obviously crazy Swedes don't care about the data and being right, peer-reviewed and in agreement with big books ;)

damned Vikings!! :clown:

:rofl:

graaf, there's no need in trying to be sarcastic.

source width?

You perhaps mean apparent source height? ;) Or are You just mixing up facts?

No, I'm not mixing up the facts. ASW corresponds to height when looking at summing localization in the median plane because sound sources are not perceived in clear-cut shapes.

Please, show us the data concerning impact of a vertical reflection on sound localisation

(the above request is purely rethorical)

There is one study I'm aware of (sorry, only German): T. Behrens, H. Prante, C. Maschke, ‘Untersuchungen zur Summenlokalisation in der Medianebene’. Proc. of DAGA 94, Dresden, pp. 1157-1160. (1994)

can You read?

where is anything about "Gestalt recognition" in the quoted text? or about "localisation"?

He is talking about pitch perception - p e r c e p t i o n

Please do yourself (and us) a favor and read it again and again and again and again.....

Please try to express yourself in a more objective way.

There's probably nothing about localization in that text but it was you that referred to that text in the context of localization. I just pointed out that localization and gestalt recognition (which includes pitch perception) are two different topics that should not be mixed.

That is correct. If the playback room itself does not add enough spaciousness without compromising imaging - a very common situation, but not in my rooms - then multi-channel is the best solution, even if it is simulated. Its far better that the crazy schemes being proposed here.

Again I fail to see the distinction. I can play discrete surround sound. You know the handful that are available compared to the seemingly infinite amount of stereo recordings which somehow seems to work better. But yeah I can playback DVD-A, SACD, Hi Res etc.. You seem to be drawing arbitrary lines about what a system should perform. Are we really looking for a true "reference system"? Are we authentically looking for the optimal or just for some self gratification that it's already been found here?

Nothing I am proposing here is exactly new or crazy, just unaccepted and unknown to you and in general most "experts". People understand a little bit about what I am talking about and I have seen plenty of theories tossed around. But do we know that we have truly heard the full potential of stereo and the recordings that we already have in our collection? I don't think in general most people have let alone what could be accomplished with newer and better techniques which will benefit both traditional stereo and stereo-surround.

The thing is from my perspective the people that will reject my ideas without even giving it a listen, based on erroneous theories about causation, are just as bad as people who are phobic of crossovers. My crossover just works spacially is all. In my experience as someone who first thought the entire idea was ** I can honestly say in retrospect that getting this surround decoder to work was the single best upgrade to my listening habits besides getting "good speakers" to do it with.

Edit: I Quoted Gedds but I was more ranting in general lol and a little directed at the original question posed by markus. Reading it back that rant seems heated but please don't take me that seriously :p

Last edited:
it was you that referred to that text in the context of localization.

What are You talking about?

fortunately it is all up there in the previous posts

I stated that "we never ever hear the frequency content of the direct sound as such"

nowhere nothing about localization

then You put my above statement into question and suggested that I am mixing up facts and also proven wrong ;)

I respond with the quoted text, that's all, everyone can read it

what I see now is rather You making up facts about what I have posted here, shame on You!

and we know something about localisation in vertical plane, it doesn't rely on binaural cues (no wonder) but on HRTF and pinnae, even uncle google knows it:

12 Sound localisation
12.5 Localisation of sound in the vertical plane
Much of our ability to localise sound in the vertical plane is due to the shape of the outer ear, in particular the pinna. The pinnae provide a monaural cue to localisation. The bumps and ridges on the pinnae produce reflections, and delays between the direct path and the reflected path make vertical localisation possible. Vertical localisation is seriously impaired if the convolutions of the pinnae are covered.

discussed also here:
AES E-Library: Vertical Localization of Sound from Multiway Loudspeakers

ps.
ASW corresponds to height when looking at summing localization in the median plane because sound sources are not perceived in clear-cut shapes.

Did Behrens, Prante und Maschke write it?

Last edited:
There have been some studies concerning localization in the
vertical plane.

An experiment from Roffler and Butler 1968 using tonebursts
showed the vertical angle of the auditive event to be independent
from the vertical angle of the loudspeaker. The frequency of the
tonebursts was the main cue.

The experiment is cited by Blauert 1974.

Blauert made experiments with terz filtered noise and found
"directional frequency bands" that cause localization in the
vertical plane. These bands correspond to the angle dependent
filter function of the pinna.

A characteristic peak at about 8Khz occurs when sound from
above hits the pinna.

---
I once used that effect - or the inverse if you like -
when i placed an ensemble of speakers under the
ceiling at a stand on a fair.

I made a notch filter that tried to match the inverse of the
pinna effect. The goal was to achieve reluctant sound and
to avoid that "supermarket feeling". I made the filter's Q
adjustable in two steps and asked some people, without
telling them the setting, which version was more "comfortable":

Without notch / low Q / high Q.

There was strong preference for the filtered versions.
The low Q notch filter, which meant moderate
compensation of the pinna effect was slightly preferred
to the high Q version.

This was long ago, so i haven't got the exact values
anymore. It was not for science, it was just an ad hoc idea.

Of course the speakers could still be localized, but the
uncomfortable feeling, that "sound comes from above"
could be reduced.

On the other hand one can assume that a tweeter
arrangement peaking at ~8Khz has the corresonding
effect - an irritation of the vertical angle or extension
of the listening event has to be expected.

Respecting the directional bands found by Blauert
is a good good idea, when designing loudspeakers.

here is another interesting study taking into account "floor reflection transfer function":
http://dev.icad.org/Proceedings/2005/CabreraFerguson2005.pdf

3.2. Influence of room acoustics
The influence of the floor reflection is of particular interest when considering Pratt’s effect. It is more common for sound sources to be in the lower half of a room than in the upper half (near the ceiling), and in outdoor situations there are no ceiling reflections. In human activity, a floor (or ground) is almost omnipresent, and its distance from the ears depends on posture. A single reflection produces interference between the direct and reflected sound, which in spectral terms results in a comb filter.
The delay between direct and reflected sound determines the density of the filter peaks and notches (which are regularly spaced on the linear frequency scale), and a short delay restricts the notches to the high frequency range. The strength of this comb filter effect from a floor reflection depends on the relative intensity of direct and reflected sound at the receiver position, which is determined by the path length difference and surface absorption and scattering.

most interesting is the "Franssen Effect":
Franssen Effect

In the Tone Demonstration, a 1000-Hz tone is used as the carrier.
In this case, almost all listeners report that the sound is always located at one loudspeaker. And this is the loudspeaker to which the brief tone was presented (the same loudspeaker from which you heard the short noise burst in the Noise demonstration). That is, you hear the full five seconds of sound coming from the location of the loudspeaker that only presented the sound for 100 ms. Or put another way, you hear the tone coming from a loudspeaker that is no longer presenting any sound. However, the location that you perceived as the sound's source is the loudspeaker that presented the sound first, and thus its location seems to dominate your perception of the sound's location.
In public demonstrations the tone is often left on for many seconds while the person presenting the demonstration removes the wires from the loudspeaker that everyone is pointing to as the source of the sound. Even with no wires going to the loudspeaker (or in some cases, even with the loudspeaker removed from the room), the audience still reports that the source of the sound is at the location of the (missing) loudspeaker.

The acoustics of the room in which the demonstration is being played will affect the strength of the illusion. For instance, it does not work in an anechoic room (see Hartmann and Rakerd in the references below).

Franssen Effect

And here is the dessert - Hartmann and Rakerd study "Localisation fo sounds in rooms" in three parts:
http://www.pa.msu.edu/acoustics/rooms1.pdf
http://www.pa.msu.edu/acoustics/rooms2.pdf
http://www.pa.msu.edu/acoustics/rooms3.pdf

and much much more:
Michigan State Acoustics/Psychoacoustics

enjoy! :)
graaf

Last edited: