The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Hi,

But they know what comes first and what comes last. So they can add the lacking treble to the direct signal and subtract it from the reflection (no matter where it comes from).

Hmmm, all the room correction systems I know (with the possible exception of the Sigtech which I only know off) cannot do what you describe. They are equalisers, sophisticated for sure, but equalisers.

Many of these systems claim to deal with reflections but have some small print that limits the reflection distance to less than 1/4 wavelength or so (or omit this).

Ciao T

Hi,

It depends on how an analyzer works for pink or white noise being the right choice but noise is very well suited for low frequencies.

Noise is well suited for use with analysers. My remark was to the contention "A Tracy Chapman Track is as good as pink noise to distinguish...." or something to that effect.

I do not find listening to pink noise very conductive to determining low frequency room problems and how well a given room correction system addresses them.

Ciao T

Hmmm, all the room correction systems I know (with the possible exception of the Sigtech which I only know off) cannot do what you describe. They are equalisers, sophisticated for sure, but equalisers.
Ciao T

If these equalizers are based on FIR filters they can do a devonvolution.
Deconvolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As already said limited by goal to keep the sweetspot in a reasonable size.

interesting discussion Gentlemen - thank You! :)

probably Olive is right when he says room correction is only possible up to 500 Hz and above it's only speaker correction (traditional EQing, just finer).

That would be plain horror for a CFS.

and so on

then perhaps what should be corrected is not a room neither a loudspeaker but "loudspeakers and room as a system"? :)

best,
graaf

I wouldn't be too afraid. Wavelength at 500 Hz is 70 cm. These companies would have to sell a vise together with their room correctors if they did real deconvolution above. And I also don't think they do gating to correct only the frequency response of the direct sound above.
You should be more afraid about the price (except the Sony) and that they probably don't do the extreme bass boost you need for your Fostexes in these little enclosures.

You should be more afraid about the price (except the Sony) and that they probably don't do the extreme bass boost you need for your Fostexes in these little enclosures.

actually that Dspeaker Anti-mode little thing looks nice, it's frequency range is only "16-144 Hz" and "Lifting 35Hz" correction curve looks sufficient for the flooder in near the corner placement

On the other hand I aM not sure if I would like to put all the music through it when it is intended to work just in the range "16-144 Hz"

is it strictly a subwoofer device or can I use it safely with a full range speaker?

Last edited:
BTW,
is it a problem for you to use an additional pair of bass speakers? Heavy boosting is a torture for fullrange drivers.
Another option:
If you use the Sony you could build a passive crossover that can be really messy, the Sony will correct it.

Last edited:
The algorithm would record two main impulses, the direct one and the ceiling reflection. If you mean by "gating" that it makes a cut after the direct impulse and corrects its frequency response, this would be wrong. The frequency response of both together would be distorted.

There are many more reflections that would be recorded. "Cutting" out all reflections and correcting only the direct sound is the right thing to do because if the direct sound is not flat there's no way for indirect sound to make it sound flat again.
Nevertheless, if the direct sound is flat and the indirect sound is not, coloration will be perceived. So the goal is to make both the direct and indirect sound flat. That's something constant directivity loudspeakers provide.

if the direct sound is not flat there's no way for indirect sound to make it sound flat again.

From my experience with the HX201 CFS I would say the opposite.

Nevertheless, if the direct sound is flat and the indirect sound is not, coloration will be perceived.

Sounds like a contradiction to me. An indirect sound with not-flat FR can colour the perceived result, but not correct it?

So the goal is to make both the direct and indirect sound flat. That's something constant directivity loudspeakers provide.
You neglect what walls do. They don't absorb all frequencies to the same degree. What you can achieve is an equal frequency response of all reflections. To go back to the weaker term "controlled directivity": You can achieve this when you get the constand directivity characteristics down to the frequency where you can do real deconvolution (Olive estimates 500 Hz). But then all reflections are lacking the frequencies below.