The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Quite similar thoughts about loudspeakers as Stig Carlsson: Reflections that merge with the direct sound, especially coming from the same direction as the speakers are bad, and the remaining reflections should have a spectrum that is closer to that of the direct sound.

The best way to achieve that is using additional speakers.

But what I find extremely strange is the claim that in-wall placement causes a 6 dB gain. Every DIY beginner should know that moving the speaker away from the wall causes a 6 dB loss.

Where's the contradiction? Sound pressure goes up by 6dB when radiating in half space.

It was some 20 years ago when I first placed a loudspeaker with the back on the floor after reading Peter Pfleiderer's book "HiFi auf den Punkt gebracht".

I see, so this is "all that" You have tried?

You have placed "a" loudspeaker ("a" loudspeaker that is "a loudspeaker not meant for such placement"?) with the back on the floor? no single way or anything coincident at least, no Beveridge placement, neither anything resembling the Carlssons

You can read about his "philosophy" under "Acoustics" here: Peter M. Pfleiderer phase minimal recording techniques

But there is nothing even alluding to a ceiling flooder or any similar concept and statements regarding early reflections are actually pretty standard, "old school", not like Toole or Moulton for example

He once sold speakers that were aimed to the ceiling.

Strange, I can see no trace of it in the writings You have linked to, not even slightest allusion.
I would even say that anything aimed to the ceiling seems not to fit in Herr Pfleiderer sound philosophy at all. Did He recommended to place them ideally 1.5 away from the walls and at least 80 cm above the floor? Such recommendation I can read in the linked writings of Him.

I like what He writes about the need of waveform fidelity and consequently using time coherent coincident speaker, and also about bassreflex and so on.

But regarding room-speaker interface I cannot see any similarities to my propositions.

I also think that His arguments about early reflections <4 ms as degrading waveforms are based on misunderstanding. His speaking of "phase" suggests that He used steady state signals as reference. In my opinion use of steady state signals is misguiding in this context because speech and music is 100% of transient character.
Human hearing analyses transients in time domain and resolution of this analysis reaches tens of MICROseconds.

best,
graaf

Last edited:
But what I find extremely strange is the claim that in-wall placement causes a 6 dB gain.

but it does, it is true

Every DIY beginner should know that moving the speaker away from the wall causes a 6 dB loss.

actually it is more complicated, fortunately for us there is a simple spreadsheet written by Roy Allison:
Other | The Classic Speaker Pages
under "Bestplace Speaker Placement program by RDL, Inc., version 1.0"

best,
graaf

What is sacrificed is localization and focus, if present on the
recording. Think of transients from drums and cymbals ... and
the consonants of the human voice.

After having sacrificed that you get robustness as you need
not listen in a sweet spot anymore, because there is no place
in the room - not even a spot - where those qualities are present.

overall interesting analysis but the above quoted statements are simply false with regard to my ceiling flooder

localization and focus of transient sounds like drums, cymbals and
consonants is actually quite stunning, to say simply realistic would be injustice to what I can hear, stunning is the right word

best,
graaf

when I listen to eg. Mala Punica I can hear church acoustics
I hesitated to confess I have that CD. I just dug it out for testing. Technically as bad as musically. Maybe it was recorded in a church, but I am very sure there were no stereo microphones used.
when I listen to Klaus Schulze I can hear His imaginary spaces floating all around
I had almost forgotten I have a CD from him. That's really hardcore-diffuse. Long, long ago that I listened to it last time, but from my memory I would prefer it with the Spendor BC1.

I linked Pfleiderer to show you that all these ideas and practices are not new to me. His book - I still have it - introduces a couple of ideas that he dumped later on. So did Moulton, Carlsson, etc. That's just how this audiphool circus works.

I never listened to Sonab speakers (the ones whith the multiple cone tweeters). I wonder whether Stig Carlsson switched to the design I use because it is better or because he could use just one modern dome tweeter.

En Attendant - Mala Punica (Arcana)
Klaus Schulze - Are you sequenced?

I have En Attendant somewhere but my favourite is Missa Cantilena, as to musical quality, well, de gustibus est non disputandum
I don't remember En Attendant well from sound qualityperspective but Missa Cantilena spatially was not bad
As to Schulze my favourite is Timewind and I use that CD for test purposes, among many others like Kind of Blue for example, therefore I was refering also to Davis

best,
graaf

I never listened to Sonab speakers (the ones whith the multiple cone tweeters). I wonder whether Stig Carlsson switched to the design I use because it is better or because he could use just one modern dome tweeter.

perhaps He just experimentally came to the conclusion that his final design with slanted top (the OA50-58 series) is better than the older one Shahinian-like with multiple tweeters

when one cannot find clear instructions what to do in the books (because we cannot qualify what we can quantify ) one HAS TO experiment, and it's hit-and-miss in the end

the only alternative is fetishization of someone else's experience like mainstream pros for example
but the problem is that their priorities can be different and in consequence it makes their experimentally proven methods irrelevant in a different perspective

best,
graaf

Last edited:
Hi,

To make a speaker less room dependent and deliver balanced frequency response in a variety of listening rooms, controled - if not constant - directivity is IMO a major goal to achieve.

Seconded majorley.

Of course such a speaker my have a problem to disappear itself as a detectable sound source, especially if the spatial information of the recording is deficient or the recording has significant flaws
as sybilance and the like.

There are some interesting "room tweaks" that can help by creating very weak harmonically coupled secondary sources (the infamous harmonica plate tweak or related items) and thus "detract attention" from the signle source.

The "controled directivity highly direct radiating speaker" is more revealing concerning concerning those deficiencies

And hence are often found where exposing such is part of the Job (Studio's, reviewers etc).

Since experimenting with DML i know that both worlds can be mated to a degree nearly impossible with conventional speakers.

Interesting. Which implementations have you compared? I find the units I encountered way too compromised in many major areas (no bass, no dynamic range, not SPL handling) to enjoy them.

Ciao T

overall interesting analysis but the above quoted statements are simply false with regard to my ceiling flooder

localization and focus of transient sounds like drums, cymbals and
consonants is actually quite stunning, to say simply realistic would be injustice to what I can hear, stunning is the right word

best,
graaf

OK, just for fun we could organize a contest with different
disciplines:

- Built the ultimate Klaus Schulze Speaker
- Built the ultimate Kraftwerk Speaker

My best Klaus Schulze speaker i built with a friend of mine
>25 years ago.

It was a 180 degree omi design with a fat folded TL,
bass driver mass loaded over bottom tuned at about 20 Hz,
a 180 degree midrange horn with a cylinder jacket shaped mouth,
and - yes - a tweeter firing towards the ceiling. :D

A good Kraftwerk speaker e.g. has to look very different IMO ...

localization and focus of transient sounds like drums, cymbals and consonants is actually quite stunning, to say simply [I realistic[/I] would be injustice to what I can hear, stunning is the right word

OK, just for fun we could organize a contest with different
disciplines:

- Built the ultimate Klaus Schulze Speaker
- Built the ultimate Kraftwerk Speaker

fun is Ok. :)

but seriously - what are You talking about?

where do You have "drums, cymbals and consonants" on a typical Schulze? :confused:

and let me repeat once again:
with ceiling flooder I experience much more diverse auditory spaces from recording to recording than in case of conventional stereo which in comparison sounds always just more or less flat

Last edited:
Hi,
And hence are often found where exposing such is part of the Job (Studio's,

perhaps out of habit?

An interesting comment by Toole is that professionals might become
accustomed to their control room sounds and end up preferring that simply
out of habit
a comment from: Early reflections or not - Gearslutz.com

because on the other hand (also from gearslutz):
I've spent the past few hours listening to music without my usual early reflection absorbing side panels. I have to say it's an interesting experience. Everything certainly sounds wider, though a sum to mono is still a very small point in space in front of me. The really interesting thing is that great recordings still sound great, if a bit more open, but mixes that were on the edge of being too strident or brittle are unbearable. That could make it a hard choice to live with for the long term. OTOH, a good monitoring system is supposed to reveal problems...

Interesting. Which implementations have you compared? I find the units I encountered way too compromised in many major areas (no bass, no dynamic range, not SPL handling) to enjoy them.

yes, it is strange, DMLs are around for quite a while with no visible success
I wonder why? Are they really so bad?

controled - if not constant - directivity

below an illustration of an evolution of thinking - from controlled to constant

or was it just another "audiophool"?

best,
graaf

Attachments

• Lowther-Hegemanb.jpg
    Lowther-Hegemanb.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 172
  • citationcab1.jpg