The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Some people like to do labour! And tomorrow is the Labour Day :drink: :clown:

oh that laborious Labour Day! lotsa labour awaits us on that glorious Day! Workers of the world, unite!
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drunk: :clown:

Umm... :bulb: It cannot work! :D

o yeah! me forgot :xeye: :eek: how dumb am I, from those two - dumb and dumber - I am the latter, excuse me...

I'll try to memorize it - It cannot work! It cannot work! It cannot work! :D

best,
graaf

Hi,

well, it surely would be really sophisticated, complex and overall impressive :)

You forget the key bit - very easy to DIY. Much easier than most other options for well controlled directivity.

but cannot anything less sophisticated and complex be regarded as smart too?

Sure. The Speaker that got me listening closer to "Kardiodid" was the Musikelektronik Geithain (MEG) RL-901K. It has pretty well kontrolled direktivity (excessive use of K's intentional).

This uses what is basically a sophisticated U Frame with flow resistance for bass and midrange drivers to create cardiode radiation:

http://www.ibs.org.uk/files/09_ME_Geithain_RL901K_Studio_Monitors.pdf

it seems that even Dr Geddes' Summa is not smart enough to meet Your smartness standards ;)

Well, the Summa has been done. My suggested system has been done experimentally, but needs a bit more work.

Of course, the Summa is not really the true "Summa" (Summa Technologiae) and the challenge now is to go beyond the Summa, maybe to Summa Summarum, even for Dr Geddes.

The better is the enemy of the good.

Ciao T :D

Well, the Summa has been done. My suggested system has been done experimentally, but needs a bit more work.

Of course, the Summa is not really the true "Summa" and the challenge now is to go beyond the Summa, maybe to Summa Summarum, even for Dr Geddes.

Ah the never ending quest for perfection - not one that I believe is fruitful. The phase is:

"Perfection is the enemy of progress."

To which I completely concur. I seek not "perfection" but practical design approaches which yield optimal solutions within a framework of constraints. Not the same thing at all.

Ah the never ending quest for perfection - not one that I believe is fruitful. The phase is:

To which I completely concur. I seek not "perfection" but practical design approaches which yield optimal solutions within a framework of constraints. Not the same thing at all.

And let's not forget, "how do you get a project done? You shoot the engineer."

As an engineer, the concept of "perfection" is just too obscure for me. I don't deal with it.

Curious how in China, one of the words that they learn very quickly is "perfect". But they don't ever actually catch on to the real meaning because its used all the time to compliment just about anything. Just goes to show how this word is misused in our language and picked up by them.

But what is "practical", "optimal", and what are the "constraints" and are they "enough" or "to much"?

The *quest* for perfection is not the "enemy of progress". In fact it can often be the "driving force" for progress and actual innovation. It does make for an incredibly poor buisness plan however. :D

Of course, the Summa is not really the true "Summa" (Summa Technologiae) and the challenge now is to go beyond the Summa, maybe to Summa Summarum,

..even for Dr Geddes.

..the Summa is "resting on its laurels"? :eek:

(..which might be correct on basic design, but isn't correct in refinement for that design - see the Abbey, Nathan, and Harper.)

OK, here's my latest polar response graph from my loudspeaker design:
4589827007_328d6998ec_o.jpg

Now I've moved my couch back about a foot or 2 (approx 33-66 cm). The bass response is different and the MR sounds different but graphs similar.
4595618037_2dbd140b3c_o.jpg

Here's the old one:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Seems Drs. Toole and Olive know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2.

Overall I prefer this sound.

Dan

Last edited: