The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

The variation between these 2 isn't bad at all (to me, but I don't have heaps of experience).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's after eqing.

But the break up is not as advertised. Oh well. Just something else to work around. That is what I was looking for--smooth break up region. According to Eminence's graph, this was in the upper echelon.

My next build will probably be with B&C, JBL, or AE from what I've seen so far. I just didn't want to spend so much money on just my second design ever.

Thanks Dr. Geddes. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Dan

My next build will probably be with B&C, JBL, or AE from what I've seen so far.

Thanks Dr. Geddes. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Dan

Don't expect much. I, like you, look specifically at this region for the exact reasons that you mentioned. Everyones data here is "optomistic" and when I measure the real thing its almost always like the situation that you have. I will say that the Eminence does look worse than what I am used to, but none of the compnaies that you mentioned are all that much better and none of them is head and shoulders better than another.

Hi,

Interesting, but neither practical nor smart, if I may say so, merely brute force.

And the radiation pattern will still be anything but "constant directivity".

Ciao T

To your previous post about getting back to the source of the problem, I think the best solution is to first get your loudspeaker working its best. That is, a reasonably flat response with respectable off-axis performance, etc.

I think this is a good foundation because it provide the best flexibility and reference point for any environment.

Once the loudspeaker is addressed you can work on the room to your best ability.

Finally, you can make adjustments with speaker placement, EQ, etc. as best possible.

The actual source of the "problem" is likely to be multi-fold. Everything must play together and it would be unreasonable to assume that there is only a single point problem.

Interesting, but neither practical nor smart, if I may say so, merely brute force.

And the radiation pattern will still be anything but "constant directivity".

not constant but probably high enough to meet Dr Geddes' requirements?

impractical? to build or to use?

not smart? whatever! :D nothing wrong with brute force, actually I think that brute force of 10x10 is still smarter than brute force of high wattage :)

BTW it can be wired in series and driven by a dedicated OTL

best regards,
graaf

Last edited:
Hi,

not smart? whatever!

Well, the "smart" choice could combine a dipole and one or two monopoles to make a true cardiode radiator across a fairly wide bandwidth and with actually adjustable final patterns (adjust relative levels), which could be combined with a waveguide loaded driver (maybe a magnetostat?) for a very well controlled DI across a very wide bandwidth.

As the system needs to be compact to go reasonably high a bass section in the same principle could be added.

Ciao T

These kinds of high density arrays can achive good directivity control over a limited range of frequencies - they are not broadband

You mean they are not broadband WRT directivity control or they are not broadband as such?

they have a whole host of other problems, cost and complexity being a significant one.

cost - probably normally it can be a problem but a diy-er patiently looking for a bargain can find it at last and now with Partsexpress no 289-124 sell out the cost for drivers is just 400 USD per stereo pair (2 USD per driver)

complexity - lotsa drilling and soldering but is it really complex? designing a waveguide or a crossover can be complex but is drilling and soldering complex?

what other possible problems?

best regards,
graaf

Maybe of interest:

may be for Thorsten who was referring to the Cat:

and Romy the Kat

Now his narrow beam constant directivity speakers sound to dry for him.

not only to dry but also:

1) There is no proper tone
2) Horizontal imaging is less refined then I would like it to be.
3) Sound is not wet enough.
4) At high volumes room can’t dissipate HF
5) Sound does not have uniformed density and more reminds a dug and raked backyard.
6) Strenuous and laborious presentation.
7) Playback does not sound with the room but in the room.

it seems that even with such a sophisticated high directivity approach as that of Romy the room cannot be killed
it is rather the room that can finally kill a cat ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

complexity - lotsa drilling and soldering but is it really complex? designing a waveguide or a crossover can be complex but is drilling and soldering complex?

Not complex but laborious! It's not a problem as such. Some people like to do labour! And tomorrow is the Labour Day :drink: :clown:

what other possible problems?

Umm... :bulb: It cannot work! :D

- Elias