The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

I don't know what your point is here and frankly you are guessing again. You haven't mixed with my system so any comments about it being inferior is just more erroneous theorizing.

There is no standard like this as far as I know. The main reason why is the other decoders will not stand up to a pro's ear or an audiophile's - mine does.

I don't know what your point is here and frankly you are guessing again.

And why is that? Could it be that you have never ever explained what your "system" really does? So we have to keep on guessing. The only thing you say is that your "system" is the best thing since sliced bread.

You haven't mixed with my system so any comments about it being inferior is just more erroneous theorizing.

Stereo provides better spatial reproduction than mono. What would be the reason for 5 discrete channels or more to deliver an inferior spatial reproduction when compared to stereo?

There is no standard like this as far as I know. The main reason why is the other decoders will not stand up to a pro's ear or an audiophile's - mine does.

What makes you so sure about that?

And why is that? Could it be that you have never ever explained what your "system" really does? So we have to keep on guessing. The only thing you say is that your "system" is the best thing since sliced bread.

What you don't get is there are other new decoders out there and some other companies lurking in the shadows. I have already told you enough of what you need to know.

Stereo provides better spatial reproduction than mono. What would be the reason for 5 discrete channels or more to deliver an inferior spatial reproduction when compared to stereo?

What you think is stereo and people have adopted as the defacto standard for it imho is not "true stereo". You are generally listening to an image that is distorted in space and confined down into a slice of pie. I am the anti-thesis to all that stuff you read about binaural, surround sound, and wave synthesis being different from stereo. Ehh wrong! Think again - Stereo is wave synthesis, binaural, and surround sound most people just haven't heard it or realized it yet.

What makes you so sure about that?

None of your business.

Hi,

Would not perchance using a Lexicon reverb or maybe an Eventide (or just the latest waves reverb plugin in you PC Playback Software) used in the signal path for such recordings only be a better choice than making a speaker system specifically for these issues?

Unless such recordings make up most of ones listening of course or one has the space and budget for many top notch speakers of fundamentally different acoustic structure/dispersion/directivity of course.

Would be interesting to see what a multi-channel Quantec in an MDG 2+2+2 setup can do. As I said earlier in this thread I don't like unnatural smoothness in the reverb tail.
Forunately I don't have many bad studio recordings. But if multi-miked orchestra recordings from the big labels could benefit from this device, too...
If wasn't so expensive.

I really don't understand the reason why someone would want to post about a "system" he is not willing to explain properly. Is this just a marketing attempt?

I didn't exactly want to get into the specifics. It was an attempt at honesty. You want a solution to the problems with the room and I gave it. Maybe it would have been better if I just lied and said I used some commercial decoder.

I notice that in the 60's to 70's there was a craze for more or less omnidirectional speakers (including Amar Bose's Ball and the Grundig spherical speakers, JBL Aquarius and so on).

I suspect the Carlsson designs derive from this IMNSHO misguided craze.

it's easy and cheap to say "Bose (...) misguided craze"

Would You call John Watkinson ("Art of Sound Reproduction" and many more) or David Moulton ("Total Recording" and many more) misguided crazy person (aka audiophool proposing crazy schemes)?

or Stu Hegeman or Hiroyuki Yoshii?
interestingly they both turned from gigantic and iconic monuments of controlled directivity to simple omni

on images attached: Lowther-Hegeman and Onkyo Grand Scepter

best,
graaf

Attachments

• Lowther%20Hegeman%20-%201.jpg
    Lowther%20Hegeman%20-%201.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 637593_1.jpg
    637593_1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Well I was still trying to help. And you didn't hear too much marketing ** from me - at least I admit that the other decoders are trying to do the same thing. So in a sense my system is more about perfection than anything new. I feel like I have perfected the basic system I have told you about and I guess I could just try to give it away and be mister hero or whatever but the truth is people like you and others are probably going to argue with me until my dieing day and I am no savior of audio or the like. It's just another system like any other but precisely refined. And even if I showed it to you right here and now you would probably over think it and dismiss it based on erroneous theory.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Funny, I guess I have a sort of "Hexaphonic" system, though the term is new to me.

6 channels, 6 speakers. You see, I run one of those goofy old Yamaha DSP-1 units from the '80s. The Yamaha generates 4 channels of surround or ambiance from a 2 channel input.

So I have my main stereo pair, a L&R surround slightly behind me, and the L&R front ambiance speakers on the wall behind the mains. It works very well if used in moderation. Often I just use the back surrounds and not the front DSP-1 channels (behind the mains).

Cool thing about the subtle use of the surrounds it that I "get more" out of the mains. I don't so much hear the surround channels as notice more space and detail in the mains. Soundstaging in the mains is better, and musical lines are easier to follow. I really enjoy it.

Well I was still trying to help. And you didn't hear too much marketing ** from me - at least I admit that the other decoders are trying to do the same thing. So in a sense my system is more about perfection than anything new. I feel like I have perfected the basic system I have told you about and I guess I could just try to give it away and be mister hero or whatever but the truth is people like you and others are probably going to argue with me until my dieing day and I am no savior of audio or the like. It's just another system like any other but precisely refined. And even if I showed it to you right here and now you would probably over think it and dismiss it based on erroneous theory.

You helped? All you provided were claims without any data or details. There is also nothing to discuss or overthink because you just did not offer anything.

Sorry, but I have a problem with the basics, I don't want to disturb the discussion, but maybe others will benefit, too.
Does a usual surround mixer just pan between the front and the rear speaker of the same side? And what is a decoder? Does it replace the mixer, or does it correct that rudimentary method by re-calculating the ready mix?

When mixing in "real" surround, a signal can be mixed to any channel. Directional properties of sound fields are retained to a high degree.
A "decoder" just processes the final mix and derives signals that are assigned to additional speakers. These signals are either matrixed (embedded) into the two stereo signals (e.g. Dolby Surround) or derived based on certain algorithms (e.g. Dolby Pro Logic II).

Hi,

it's easy and cheap to say "Bose (...) misguided craze"

Not that that is what I said, but never mind.

Would You call John Watkinson ("Art of Sound Reproduction" and many more) or David Moulton ("Total Recording" and many more) misguided crazy person (aka audiophool proposing crazy schemes)?

or Stu Hegeman or Hiroyuki Yoshii?

I am not particulary calling anyone engineering Omni's or related (and the list is quite a bit longer) crazy.

What I did say was that there was in a certain period of time a fashion (or craze) for omnidirectional designs. All replete with lengthy academeic papers as to why they where better. This fashion has since largely died down and the academic output is nowadays generally seen as flawed.

As to why individuals do what they do, you need to ask them.

Ciao T

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
This fashion has since largely died down and the academic output is nowadays generally seen as flawed.

Maybe concluded on wrong assumptions

I havent had much believe in omnis, until now

From my recent experiments something tells me that omnis should either be based on multiple drivers, or the drivers should be placed very close to the floor

But who wants a small speaker that looks like a cheap sub

When mixing in "real" surround, a signal can be mixed to any channel. Directional properties of sound fields are retained to a high degree.

I've never had a surround system playing in my home (except the proprietary Andrea von Salis quadrophonia), but what I can say is that a stereo recording, no matter how it is produced always sounded messy when I listened to it turned 90° (I tried that with different recordings years ago with my Spendors). When stereo works that has nothing to do with soundfield, only with the "decoder" in our heads.

But who wants a small speaker that looks like a cheap sub

women :)
it has really very high WAF, my wife like it a lot in piano black finish, it does look like a small sub but not cheap sub :)

and there are certainly worse things around like sewer pipes loudspeakers fo example ;)

anyway, if an audiophile can show off with his turnable setup and valves, the loudspeaker can look like small sub :)

best regards,
graaf

Last edited:
I've never had a surround system playing in my home (except the proprietary Andrea von Salis quadrophonia), but what I can say is that a stereo recording, no matter how it is produced always sounded messy when I listened to it turned 90° (I tried that with different recordings years ago with my Spendors). When stereo works that has nothing to do with soundfield, only with the "decoder" in our heads.

What do you mean by "turned 90°"? This is not how multichannel audio works. Upmix algorithms had and have all sorts of problems and limitations, that's why multichannel audio like we know it today was invented (see Toole for more details). The problem is that the industry that would benefit the most from multichannel audio didn't adopt it (yet): the audio industry. The technical platform is there but instead of using it, guys like Key "invent" a "new" upmix algorithm. This will not change things to the better.

Last edited: