Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers
The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2012, 01:54 PM   #1751
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcoal View Post
In such case may be good solution - central channel in the middle of the room bitween sidewall speakers: add some HF direct sound and will make soundstage "bulletproof" Someone tried?
in a sense

check out this: Stereophonic Sound from a Single Loudspeaker
Old 4th October 2012, 02:04 PM   #1752
Charcoal is offline Charcoal  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Orford say that high directional speakers wil not work in beveridege position.

Topic you linked - I read it, but its not exactly the same)) Side speaker are not on walls, but in common cabinet...
Old 4th October 2012, 02:09 PM   #1753
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Orford say that high directional speakers wil not work in beveridege position.

Topic you linked - I read it, but its not exactly the same)) Side speaker are not on walls, but in common cabinet...
yes, I know, therefore I said "in a sense"

because sidewall reflections in this case effectively become virtual sidewall in-wall mounted L and R speakers, check out simulations on pages 36-37 of the linked thread
Old 4th October 2012, 02:18 PM   #1754
diyAudio Member

in a sense of soundstage. But with SSS we loose possibility to avoid diffraction and BStep absense, as we can with IBaffeld at sidewalls speakers. It also guit valuable benfit from such placement...
Old 4th October 2012, 05:35 PM   #1755
diyAudio Member

Quote:
in a sense of soundstage.
yes, You're right

Quote:
But with SSS we loose possibility to avoid diffraction and BStep absense, as we can with IBaffeld at sidewalls speakers. It also guit valuable benfit from such placement...
yes, You're right again - the idea of on-wall speakers dedicated to side-wall placement is definitely worth pursuing

Bremen speakers can be seen as interesting try though they are certainly not free from diffraction problems:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bremen speakers in side-wall placement.jpg (75.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Bremen speakers.jpg (26.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 4th October 2012, 06:08 PM   #1756
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But with SSS we loose possibility to avoid diffraction and BStep absense, as we can with IBaffeld at sidewalls speakers. It also guit valuable benfit from such placement...
There is practically no baffle step in SSS. Notice that all the three elements emit sound all the time regardless of the L and R stereo signals. The energy is just steered in different directions into the room.
Old 4th October 2012, 06:55 PM   #1757
diyAudio Member

if it works all time like bipole - yes, indeed/ But it R and L channels they are not always outputting the same signal, am I right?
Old 5th October 2012, 01:12 AM   #1758
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But it R and L channels they are not always outputting the same signal

It does not matter as superposition holds.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:43 AM   #1759
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

About the perception of images (especially HF), I had some observations last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post

As I remember, triangles in orchestra are indeed mostly at left or right corner. But I've also heard ones close to the center. Have to confirm that again.
First, about the locations, I did find the triangles appear nearby the center in some recordings.

For clearer definition, I added some lines and angles onto the drawing of my listening room:
Click the image to open in full size.

The central channel DML panel is quite large with a span approaching +/-15 degree. And the aforementioned triangles are all located within this range.

In this album, in the last track, the triangle is well within the area of DML panel. I estimate that's more like 12 degree or so.

And in this album (I believe it's very famous around various audio shows), there're several tracks coming with triangle which is even closer to the center.

For more precise definition, I have to put this for reference:
Click the image to open in full size.
(I got through many other disturbing pictures to get this, believe me.)

The dead center is an imaginary line from the center of the listener's head through the nose tip. (assumed it's not crooked)

An angle slightly off center can be an imaginary line from the center of head through one nostril, or through the inner corner of an eye, etc...

The triangles in the album "Diabolus in Musica" are very near the center. I feel they mostly appear at the lines through my right nostril or the inner corner of my right eye. (there's one or two slightly far off ...)

(A side note: put it on drawing gives me somewhat different feels about the imaginary perception angles. I feel the angle is even smaller in my head. How interesting.)

Sorry if this is way too hair-splitting. I'd like to explain the situations of imaging more precisely.

In such a reflective room and a system with mixed directivities (and very diffused HF), the locations of images can be identified as above, I guess that's not too shabby.

Last edited by CLS; 5th October 2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 5th October 2012, 04:45 AM   #1760
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
(I got through many other disturbing pictures to get this, believe me.)

The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!