The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

-yes, though not currently in use do to platform construction.

All 3 front channels are (..integrated into one long "soundbar"). It looks like a low height (around 15") bench right in front of a large screen on the wall.

Once I've finally gotten the HT finished, I'll start a build log (with pictures) in the Subwoofer section of the forum (..and I'll post another link here to that log). Right now Amazon is slowing things down for me, with delays to needed supplies for the build.

How does/did it sound without Atmos?

Good, not great tracking, but more than good enough.

..and frankly "good" may be better than "great" in this instance, because the size of most heads in scenes are rather large and "great" tends to be a bit to "pin-point". In all other respects the sound is great.

My guess is though that with the tweeter addition it will be back to "pin-point".

These are the tweeters:

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1626--tymphany-tc5fc07-04-spec-sheet.pdf

Good, not great tracking, but more than good enough.

..and frankly "good" may be better than "great" in this instance, because the size of most heads in scenes are rather large and "great" tends to be a bit to "pin-point". In all other respects the sound is great.

My guess is though that with the tweeter addition it will be back to "pin-point".

These are the tweeters:

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1626--tymphany-tc5fc07-04-spec-sheet.pdf

...even a triangle is not a pin sized sound source

Wow, this is one heck of a long thread. Its going to take some time to get through this lot. I'm interested in making some upward firing type speakers, which in theory present music omni directional. Whether that is actually a fact is another thing :)

I owned some Shahinian Arcs once and they were pretty good actually. I wouldn't say that much better than conventional designs even though they are religiously followed by some as being so. They certainly had appeal though. I think the ones I had could have benefited from different drivers but I sold them as OEM as people do seem to love them standard.

Anyway the prices they sell for are too much for me now. I would perhaps like to try and build something like the Shahinian Starter or Compass. Anyone know what sort of angle the baffles are at to the horizontal by any chance as a starting point ?? I've read reviews saying 45 but I really don't think its near that. Dont think my Arc's were, they didnt look it.

Yes I suppose yes to both of those. The perfect angle could be argued all day I suppose.

I can see the idea behind speaker like this though and the Shahinian philosophy / approach.

The angle depends on the diameter of the driver and it's higher freq. response. It can also depend on any polar tilt (crossover) with a multi-way design.

If I were doing one it would be with this driver for the mid.-to-high-freq. facing upward:

Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B | HiFiCompass

-with something near that 60 degree off-axis.

High-pass near 600 Hz.

This driver below 600 Hz also on a slant baffle (say 15 degrees) with driver very near floor (bottom of driver within 8" of floor including a short 4" stand):

ScanSpeak 26W/4534G00 | HiFiCompass

Last edited:

These are the tweeters:

Result was:

Better (though dependent on recording; see problem below) tracking though not "pin-point",

Much better treble,

Problems with many movies and dialog where person in left chair has too much left-channel emphasis (and vice-versa) regardless of where the actor is on screen. This is with those drivers run as dipole and substantial toe-in of about 50 degrees. (..there just isn't enough pressure loss with the 90 degree dipole null at 50 degrees.)

Next step to try is sound absorption around driver (at key points) to reduce a lot more of that driver's off-axis response.

Last edited:
The angle depends on the diameter of the driver and it's higher freq. response. It can also depend on any polar tilt (crossover) with a multi-way design.

If I were doing one it would be with this driver for the mid.-to-high-freq. facing upward:

Tectonic TEBM46C20N-4B | HiFiCompass

-with something near that 60 degree off-axis.

High-pass near 600 Hz.

This driver below 600 Hz also on a slant baffle (say 15 degrees) with driver very near floor (bottom of driver within 8" of floor including a short 4" stand):

ScanSpeak 26W/4534G00 | HiFiCompass

I should note that with this design it wouldn't be "floor" based for the "omni"/"radial" portion, rather it should be about 30" above the floor.

The woofer would be forward-firing (though still omni given the wavelength of operation).

Wow, this is one heck of a long thread. Its going to take some time to get through this lot. I'm interested in making some upward firing type speakers, which in theory present music omni directional. Whether that is actually a fact is another thing :)

I owned some Shahinian Arcs once and they were pretty good actually. I wouldn't say that much better than conventional designs even though they are religiously followed by some as being so. They certainly had appeal though. I think the ones I had could have benefited from different drivers but I sold them as OEM as people do seem to love them standard.

Anyway the prices they sell for are too much for me now. I would perhaps like to try and build something like the Shahinian Starter or Compass. Anyone know what sort of angle the baffles are at to the horizontal by any chance as a starting point ?? I've read reviews saying 45 but I really don't think its near that. Dont think my Arc's were, they didnt look it.

45 seems to be a good starting point:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...-coupled-firing-speakers-334.html#post4187099

...for an 8 inches coincident speaker

One must experiment. The best thing is that You can just built a rectangular box and test angles and positioning with a tilted stand eg. one can use:

0d09f0414b5389e9033718ac50f6

...it's an LP storage

I thought this might me a convenient place to post this design I came up with a while back. This thread seems open and welcoming to non main stream ideas :)

P1000235.JPG

It is mainly up firing as the thread title but not floor coupled. Clamshell isobaric 12" bass up firing in the lower enclosure. Above that is a smaller upper enclosure with two 5" mid bass - one up firing cone out and one down firing magnet out.

What the drawing doesn't show is that there are four fabric dome tweeters. One up firing, front firing, inward firing and outward firing.

I have had it built in a very scruffy prototype state for quite a while now and I very much enjoy the sound that it presents to me, more than any other speaker i have built or heard. There are many refinements still to make and hopefully one day I will have a finished pair of speakers.

I have used "magnet out" three times for mid, twice with paper cones ( both sounded bad ) and with woven glass fibre that sounds quite nice full range, when I get around to it I'll add rear firing tweeters out of phase to add some sparkle and atmosphere. The advantage of magnet out is there's no beaming to worry about, also it's easy to mod the crossover. Most of my speakers are scruffy prototypes.

I thought this might me a convenient place to post this design I came up with a while back. This thread seems open and welcoming to non main stream ideas :)

It is mainly up firing as the thread title but not floor coupled.

nice idea, similar to Shahinian in the modular approach and to some Shahinian and also old Sonab etc. in the multiple tweeter approach