The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Update: I've decided to go through with my plan to modify them from passive to active, with the use of a minidsp unit. I would be interested, though, in hearing whether there are specific drivers you think are suitable for speakers of this kind, in case I ever would get the itch to upgrade the drivers even further.

Still not finished the project. But I found out that the weakest link in the speaker was the tweeters. So I just purchased new tweeters that are significantly better than the originals, from the same manufacturer (Morel). And I ordered a box from minidsp which will be used for crossover and equalization. I plan to have a hifi repairman do the actual modding, and then fine tune the speaker with minidsp afterwards. Can post updates when I get results!

I have been thinking of trying something like this, in mono, using a large full range driver (I have a AN15"). I'm wondering if I want the speaker horizontal or tilted. I figure that horizontal is OK if the speaker is low enough so that at normal listening height the dispersion at high frequencies is good enough for the listener to receive direct sound - is this your understanding too ?

Secondly, does it damage a speaker to have the suspension taking the full weight of the cone permanently if mounted horizontal - I'm thinking of large drivers here, 8" and above ?

Shouldn't vertical mounting be worse and voice coil prone to get missalined, but still this is the normal way to mount drivers. Sonab/Carlsson mounted driver facing up since the 60's and lots of them playing and sounding lovely still!
Just flip the speaker up side down every now and then if you feel concerned.
Stiff suspension probably helps against cone sag (in any direction) and the AN 15" has stiff suspension I guess.

Remake/over of the OD11 by teenage design.

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/od-11

Heard these the other day at my local audio store. I liked them, not to pricey either taking in account that they are active and has cloud for streaming music. Easy on the ears and eyes as well.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
I have been thinking of trying something like this, in mono, using a large full range driver (I have a AN15"). I'm wondering if I want the speaker horizontal or tilted.

try both - the result depends on many factors - that particular loudspeaker's directivity, room acoustics, listening distance etc.

I expect such a big speaker to be very directional, still Radugazon's test show that it can work:

In despite of my deficient hearing, my improper room and as a result my approximative speakers, I've done some acoustical funny tests.

"The" driver is an indonesian made 12" with a mega wizzer. It's filmsy coil and 39 g mms claim 15000 Hz. Its other great quality is it's price (33 euros for both).

As the goal of this game is only comparative, the configuration "naked driver" + digital equalisation will be enough. Of course, without EQ, it's a nightmare. They are also extremely directive in the HF.

Experience 2 :

Same drivers, same EQ, this time simply put on the floor, as close as possible from the back boundary, 4.5 m from each other, 6 meters from the listener.
Since a while I wanted to verify this, to make sure that graaf or tinitus were not too sick.

Result : it's shocking when considering that it's the same drivers than 1 minute ago. All the claims of these gentlemen are real, with the drivers set up like a flower pot (but decoupled from the floor with thick rubber).
Not only the soundstage occupies all the wall (9 meters here) but there is eventually a strong center presence, it's ok for girl and guitar as for giant choruses or symphony. The trains circulate progressively. I insist it's not a mess up.
The Hf is not perceptually reduced (- 2 dB roll off at measure), and that's puzzling because the part over 2500 Hz stays in a 10° cone @ 0 dB. Even with one only running, the source is unlocalizable. Subs are not mandatory except for organ.

For me, adept of multi ways-multi amped systems, this is a double bottom kick : the flooder and the FR. Just the envelopment and perspective are not very good, all this is a kind of 2D image. But for 33 euros...

joined plots : > steady state of the flooder from 6 meters
> CDS with short gate (ok, it's 1/1 smoothed and has a lazy decay, but could be much worse)
> ETC with sub on (mistake), no floor bounce, the 9.33 ms peak is the side wall.

does it damage a speaker to have the suspension taking the full weight of the cone permanently if mounted horizontal - I'm thinking of large drivers here, 8" and above ?

no, it doesn't, no problem

from another thread (referring to his single driver upward firing ceiling flooder):

Your original, How would you refine it, is it just the unfinished box your find crude or did you further develop this ?

the pictured speaker is not mine, it's just an example of how simple this can be - a fullrange in a simplest box

it can be even simpler actually as diyaudio user Radugazon has demonstrated - he used big bare, unboxed, fullrange driver actively equalized, see post #3372 above in this thread

the original of mine was Fostex FE207E in a simple box, actively equalized

afterwards I used KEF UniQ minimonitors and KEF installation speakers in simple enclosures, no equalization

then I bought WLM Diva Monitor - one of the very few commercial speakers that meet my requirements for this application - simple coaxial minimonitor and at least 8 inches

(I listen in stereo now but there was quite long period when I had a mono setup)

I'm currently working on something similar for my HT. ;)

..a 14 foot "sound bar" for the front 3 channels that's somewhat dipolar.

4 horizontally opposed fullrange drivers per channel with a higher "Q" midbass driver (also "up-firing" and just "in front of" the small full-range array) to augment the lower midrange and upper bass.

I've not settled on height yet, but I suspect it will be around 15" off of the floor. I'm guessing seated listening angle to the drivers should be somewhere between 70 and 50 degrees off-axis.

The HT Receiver has eq., reasonable power out, and the drivers are reasonably efficient in this configuration (about 93 db average) and represent an easy load (with impedance not going lower than about 7 ohms). So I'm hoping for a reasonably flat response at the listening position down to about 80 Hz along with decent "headroom".

The open-baffle nature of the design was because:

1. I had drivers from previous projects that could handle this, and

2. I didn't want the bass droning-into my tenant's apartment - which is common/connected to my home (..the open end of the "sound bar" at one end is at 90 degrees/null for the design facing the apartment's connected door).

-I'll be adding tactile bass transducers for each of the seats for sub-bass effects that should NOT be "thumping" into my tenant's apartment (with floor isolation on the feet of each seat).

I'm working on the wiring right now (..it's a LOT of wire to cut/strip/connect), the baffles are already done (with the driver's mounted), but the frames and casing aren't.

I'm also doing four surround channels (each with the same horizontal array of the same fullrange drivers as the soundbar) for the ceiling. Those will be IB with rear-output going into the attic-space. FS is about 110 Hz for those drivers so bass shouldn't be a particular problem (..or at least that's what I hope).

Last edited: