The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

+1,000,000
The problem that I am having with this "flooder" thing is that no studio mixes on a flooder type system. So this becomes a sonic gimmick with absolutely no point of reference whatsoever. It is an effect, and nothing more.
so it is a real thing, isn´t it? :) You call it "an effect" but isn´t "stereo" itself "an effect" either? So - is it the only problem You're having with this "flooder" thing?

so it is a real thing, isn´t it? :) You call it "an effect" but isn´t "stereo" itself "an effect" either? So - is it the only problem You're having with this "flooder" thing?

Please don't BS me, it weakens your arguement. Almost all music is mixed and mastered on front firing stereo speakers. By playing the music back on a flooder system, you are totally changing the presentation and the carefully eq'd frequency response the mastering engineer was trying to create.

All studio use either stereo or multichannel speaker setup with front firing speakers. Nobody uses a flooder.

By playing the music back on a flooder system, you are totally changing the presentation and the carefully eq'd frequency response the mastering engineer was trying to create.

The presentation is more realistic. Do You think that all unconventional speakers - planar, linesource, omni or unconventional setups like Ambiophonics should be banned from the HiFiland? Also You can Eq the system anyway You like. Audiophiles are doing this all the time. And NOBODY knows the engineer's intention. Most probably not even one listener has a system and acoustics identical to the one used in a studio at home. Probably You won't be able to find two identical studios. Therefore the only true measure of HiFi is the real thing.

The presentation is more realistic.

Based on who's expert opinion? Or is this subjective conjecture?

Do You think that all unconventional speakers - planar, linesource, omni or unconventional setups like Ambiophonics should be banned from the HiFiland?

No, but none of these are based on a speaker sitting on the ground and firing upwards towards the ceiling. These are well understood technologies, the flooder is not - and it is not used in any studio I know of.

Also You can Eq the system anyway You like. Audiophiles are doing this all the time.

Eq cannot change the presentation from a spatial stand point of view. The presentation would always be diffused even when I as an audio engineer would want it more tight and specific.

And NOBODY knows the engineer's intention.

We know the speaker set up, and have an idea of what speakers the mixer/mastering guy has. I have never seen a flooder speaker system mentioned ANYWHERE.

Most probably not even one listener has a system and acoustics identical to the one used in a studio at home. Probably You won't be able to find two identical studios. Therefore the only true measure of HiFi is the real thing.

Your former statement is a perfect example of why this statement is weak and irrelevant. Since you won't be able to find two studios alike, then what makes you think that not having two rooms in our homes alike a necessity - or that equal parity with a studio environment is all necessary? I don't have to have the acoustics of the Cary Grant dubbing stage to accurately play back the movie iRobot in my own reference. I do have certain established speaker and amp guidlines that get me there without 1:1 parity.

If you know number 3, then you'll understand why Muzak could well be mastered with ceiling flooders. :)

You don't understand the idea very well. The only thing a ceiling flooder has in common with a ceiling speaker is the word "ceiling" in their respective names.

Anyway, tell me please do You like this particular speaker (see the image below)? Do You know it? Did You have an opportunity to listen to it?

grandscepter.JPG

No, but none of these are based on a speaker sitting on the ground and firing upwards towards the ceiling. These are well understood technologies, the flooder is not - and it is not used in any studio I know of.

So what? How many studios that You know use linesource? Or omni? Or planar? Or Ambiophonics?

Eq cannot change the presentation from a spatial stand point of view.

Now consider a floor bounce - You can equalize its effect on frequency response but You cannot correct its detrimental effect on spatial presentation.

The presentation would always be diffused even when I as an audio engineer would want it more tight and specific.

Diffuse? Really? Have You ever heard a flooder setup?

I do have certain established speaker and amp guidlines that get me there without 1:1 parity.

Get You where exactly? To a perfectly unrealistic presentation?

So what? How many studios that You know use linesource? Or omni? Or planar? Or Ambiophonics?

None, which is why they should not get anymore attention than your flooder system. These are niche designs and formats, and so little use that few to nobody knows anything about them.

Now consider a floor bounce - You can equalize its effect on frequency response but You cannot correct its detrimental effect on spatial presentation.

First you have to establish that a floor bounce has a detrimental effect on the spatial presentation. You have not proved that at all. It is well understood, and is more likely ignored by the ear/brain mechanism. Everything in our auditory life includes a floor bounce of some sort, we do live close to the ground. However, a flooder system does not work well with our hearing mechanism, because we cannot clearly perceive horizontal spatiality with a reproduction system that has a strong vertical dispersion pattern. What sound in nature flows from the ground upward to the sky, and then downwards towards our ears when in most cases the open sky would prevent it.

Diffuse? Really? Have You ever heard a flooder setup?

A Bose 901 would be considered a flooder setup, just in the vertical plane. It was diffused, and it was designed for a wide vertical dispersion pattern. What makes you think a flooder system with a horizontal biased dispersion pattern would be any different. Reflections create diffusion.

Get You where exactly? To a perfectly unrealistic presentation?

I am going to ask you this again. What expert with the perfect system decided it was a perfectly unrealistic presentation? And who decided a flooder system was the perfect presentation? Personal biases are irrelevant I am afraid. Sorry, I cannot buy what you are selling here.

None, which is why they should not get anymore attention than your flooder system.

Are You trying to tell people what they should do? :)

First you have to establish that a floor bounce has a detrimental effect on the spatial presentation. You have not proved that at all.

It has been established eg. in the "Archimedes" Eureka-funded scientific research project: EUREKA Project E!105 ARCHIMEDES - EUREKA

It was a joint project of Danmarks Tekniske Universitet, Bang & Olufsen and KEF led by Prof. Soren Bech.

Here is how one of the member of the test panels comments on this:

I’ve done a lot of testing on the effects of reflections in rooms, and there was a big, big project in Denmark about twelve years ago, with a lot of companies involved in investigating effects of reflections in rooms. I had the pleasure of being a test person, where we could actually simulate the audible effect of the floor reflection, sidewall reflection, ceiling reflection, and so on independently. The single most disturbing reflection in the room is the floor reflection. That is what makes the speaker sound like a radio and not like the actual event. ... The floor reflection absolutely must be handled

see: A round table about room acoustics, and bass traps.

all right? :)

However, a flooder system does not work well with our hearing mechanism, because we cannot clearly perceive horizontal spatiality with a reproduction system that has a strong vertical dispersion pattern.

Interesting. Can You please post any references for this statement?

A Bose 901 would be considered a flooder setup, just in the vertical plane.

:confused: sorry, no similarities, perhaps You don't understand the idea very well

Personal biases are irrelevant I am afraid.

Are You telling me that Your biases are impersonal? ;) c'mon! :)

I have now read a substantial part of this thread regarding the flooder approach, and I think I understand the idea. And I just want to say this: if these flooders have a significant advantage over conventional direct firing speakers, why are they still a niche? Why are they not ruling the showrooms of the dealers?

Don't tell me something about "because the vendors don't want/understand/wtf it". Not all of them are idiots. A flooder is not more complex than a conventional speaker, so it can't be a higher manufacturing cost.

Maybe there's something really wrong with this approach. Think about it.

I have now read a substantial part of this thread regarding the flooder approach, and I think I understand the idea. And I just want to say this: if these flooders have a significant advantage over conventional direct firing speakers, why are they still a niche? Why are they not ruling the showrooms of the dealers?

There are many reasons.

First of all I think it's the same reason why eg. active crossovers are a consumer market niche. Is anything really wrong with them?

Another reason is that I think designers of those various flooder-like speakers didn't understand the design very well so they all were imperfect, flawed in one way or another.

Last edited: