A Real Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope the roof doesn't spring a leak one rainy night when no-one is looking, and fill up the compression chamber! :bigeyes:

My idea of a slightly more manageable but still pretty outrageous horn-loaded sub would be to remove the plaster of the ceiling from your listening room (leave the cross-beams in place) and place over the entire room the downward facing mouth of a horn. It would almost fit under a pointy shaped roof, the outside of the horn being shaped the way it is. It would be a bit easier if you had a two storey house because the bulk of the horn could be in the room above.

Another approach if you have a spare room adjacent to your listening room would be to house the (perhaps folded) horn in the spare room and have the mouth taking up the area of the previously dividing wall. A suitable cloth stretched over the mouth area would disguise it sufficiently to give a visiting audiophile friend a real surprise. :devilr:

Jack Dinsdale (at least that's who I remember it being) made a horn under his house in the UK in the 60's, with the mouth exiting under the listening position. It was about 17' long, so the path delay on the horn wasn't an issue.

My forthcoming LABhorns will do fine in the meantime, and I don't even need to make structural changes to the house.

This system would keep me happy for a while too.

Attachments

• huge jap horn - fostex custom system.jpg
    huge jap horn - fostex custom system.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 696
phase_accurate said:
Brett is this your listening room ? Whats the box size on these FW800 ? :bigeyes: :cool:

Regards

Charles

It's the Library listening room, where I listen to chamber music and jazz. When I'm in the mood for orchestral or rock (go deads!) I have my larger main system in the South Wing.

Each of the FW800's utilise a box slightly larger than the quarters that my serfs occupy. I shall get the butler to measure it in the morning. Such details don't concern me.

:-D

>>Sort of looks like it needs a face painted on it somehow. It >>looks like it would give little children nightmares

what about me?
i find it quite scary!

:bawling: :bigeyes: :clown: :dead: :dead: :) :devily:

the horn in the ceiling idea is better,,but how do u get it up there :-D

wud b funny if the guy made those horns and they had fatal flaw,all u cud do with it wud be fill it with water and make it a kiddies paddling pool!
swimming pool in ur lounge lol

On my list of wannadoos when I build a listening room is a 8" false floor bass horn.

It would be pretty easy to do:
First, build a top-loading rear chamber box in a rear corner. On your subfloor, glue down 2x8s on edge defining your chosen expansion contour ending at a grated slit the full length of your front wall. The 90-deg. wall-floor angle of the front of your room will be the final flare. Put down short 2x8 pieces axially aligned at intervals throughout the horn flare (to support your flooring sheets), liberally glue/seal the whole thing, and put down flooring.

Now you've got a 20Hz bass horn, invisible except for the fact that you're ceiling is 10" nearer!

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.