SE setup need amp advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
ttruman is offline ttruman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SE setup need amp advice

I need a good amplifier for my SoundEasy setup.

I use Soundeasy 14 so my understanding is that it cannot be bridged to make impedance measurements correctly. I don't have a spare receiver or non bridgeable amp laying around so I would like to purchase something to fit the need. Perhaps a 2 channel ~ 100w in a small package so it can be multitasked. I am also entertaining the idea of small low but adequately powered mono block.

Been searching around in all the obvious places but nothing seems to fit the bill.

Any suggestions on a low cost high quality solution?
Old 11th April 2008, 04:10 PM   #2
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
for very little cost you can build a simple LM3886 based amplifier that will work nicely.
Old 11th April 2008, 05:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi y8s,

I have considered it but the reality is I just dont have much time in my schedule for DIY activity so I would prefer a turn key solution.

Tim
Old 11th April 2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

A low power integrated amp will work. These go for a song at your local pawn shop. You won't need 100W just for SoundEasy. 10W should be fine. Also, if you can find a multichannel amp, do so. It will enable you to do crossover emulation via the Digital Filter feature. Will save you from building multiple prototype crossovers.
Old 12th April 2008, 01:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I used to use a two channel amp but now, like Shaun, I also reccomend people use a cheap 5 channel home theater receiver.

You need one that has 5 channel analog inputs. Also look for analog bypass so that you can bypass any DSP etc. I paid $150 for cheap sony new but they can be had on ebay and at pawn shops for half that or less.

Theis will serve all your measurement needs plus the 5 channels let you the SE XO emulator for XO design anc voicing. Also, since the receiver has a remote, you can be at your pc or laptop adjusting measurment levels by remote, muting the receiver etc.

Regards,

Dennis
Old 12th April 2008, 01:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Shawn,

Would like about ~100W so I can mutitask the amp. To measure but also run it to get an idea of how the speakers sound with an prototype xover before moving them to the main listening area. or just to play some music in the shop while not measuring.

The mutilchannel amp idea would put me in a position
to utilize the digital filter feature.

Is it possible to use a 7:1 home theater amp or something more specialized. 3 - 2 channel amps?

Any model recomendations?

Tim
Old 12th April 2008, 01:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi dennis,

You just answered some of my questions while I was responding to shaun.

Thanks.

I am hoping folks can suggets models that have worked well for them.
Old 12th April 2008, 01:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

ttruman,

Mine is the Sony str-de875 it is supposed to have 100wx5 but I doubt that. I also know it can't put out anywhere near that into 4 ohm loads but for what I paid, I don't expect it to. It is probably 4 years old. But there are lots of choices out there.

I do like having it where I can hook up a pair of speakers to it and just listen to the radio if I want too.

Mind you, I would never use this for serious listening or in the HT, I have Krell and Anthem gear for that. But for measurements, XO emulation, and garage music my cheap receiver works just fine.

If you went with a multi-channel power amp, you would still need a multi-channel preamp to drive them.

Good luck.

Dennis
Old 12th April 2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Tim

If you're on a really tight budget, you may just want to reconsider getting an all-in-one solution. From I hear you want a low-cost amp that is also a 100-watter. I think you'll be lucky to get both at once, let alone multi-channel (unless you are willing to accept manufacturer specs as Dennis described). If it were me and money was really tight, I'd get a cheap stereo or AV multi-channel amp to get me up and running and then save up for a good stereo amp for my main listening (like what Dennis has). You never know what bargains may come along...
Old 12th April 2008, 02:10 PM   #10
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
Sherwood RD series receivers are inexpensive and have direct RCA inputs. You can get a 5x100W for under $150 everywhere. For more you can get the 7x100 direct input.

Hide this!Advertise here!