Free speaker enclosure (Newcastle Australia) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2008, 05:02 AM   #11
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by critofur
That'd be a shame to throw them away!

How was their sound deficient, and do you have a thread for your current "mains"? (how do these compare?)
The sound was all there but just a personal taste thing. A tad smooth and polite for me and the bass didn't compare to an M22WR.

Here's some info on my existing mains but the latest xo has R1=1R5, Cz=5.6uF and the inductor comes after the woofer.
http://www.darcheraudio.com.au/rzaud...files/rzss.htm
Old 11th April 2008, 05:42 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Graddon

Yeah, his mains ain't too shabby

Assuming he is still using those Scan OB things with the Vifa bass

Rabbitz.. what is the problem with this new speaker btw? those drivers should work nicely together.
The mains are still the same thingies but the xo has gone back more to when you first heard them (I got side tracked for a while so forget about the last time you heard them).

These started out using left over drivers I had... 27TDFC, P11WH, 22W8851 plus bought some SP21R PR from Madisound. This arrangement had the mid in a sealed enclosure using a parallel xo. The 22W8851 is an odd woofer and got the flick.... not worth the money and the M22WR kills it. The PL11MH went in with a P21WO but the mid enclosure backwave was a problem so OB it went. That then made the enclosure too small for the P21WO so cut and shut again to get the bass volume up. The parallel xo was removed and a series implemented which was heaps better and removed edginess from the PL11MH. 4" is really too small for OB so I grabbed some XG18's (great driver) and it started to come together. Removing the PR and going vented made it better again. So I got as much as I could out of it.... extremely good but not excellent.

Andy, as you know I have particular tastes as I like forward mids and don't mind a bit of slam in the bottom end. That's the problem as these new ones were too polite and lacked the tighter bass that the M22WR supplies. Sounded great and a soundstage to die for. When lazyfly was here over easter, he preferred these speakers when it had the PL11 as mids, PR for bass to all the speakers he heard at your and my place. It's all about personal taste.

If there are no takers then these will become an experiment for full OB using a 12"-15" bass driver. I have some 850122 that I can use for mids and I can pick up some tweeters.... got me thinking now.... hmmmmm
Old 11th April 2008, 07:43 AM   #13
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yeah, you have to have some bite in the speakers.

Lets not also forget, his ears are young, and he probably needs a different tonal balance than we do.
Old 11th April 2008, 07:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

When I listen to the mains, I want excitement as at my age, I need all I can get.

I have intimate and laid back in other systems for those gentle moments.

He was looking also at what would fit in with his room, system, tastes as well as he has a problem in 1 ear which he doesn't want to aggrevate, so smooth is good in those circumstances.
Old 11th April 2008, 08:43 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Wow, very nice cabinets......I'd love to play with an OB / bass box combo like this, but I don't have the room for proper floorstanders, nor the money to give them decent drivers
Old 11th April 2008, 08:45 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Are you saying none of my speakers would have suited his room ???
Old 11th April 2008, 08:47 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSeekerr
Wow, very nice cabinets......I'd love to play with an OB / bass box combo like this, but I don't have the room for proper floorstanders, nor the money to give them decent drivers
Whoa !! Another central coast guy !! cool !!!

grantnsw is down there too.
Old 11th April 2008, 02:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Whoa !! Another central coast guy !! cool !!!
Yep, we exist - centrally located just far enough from everything to be annoying!

Well, I'd blame my lack of DIY speakers on that, but it would be a bit of misdirection compared to the fact that I'm a typical broke student with no skills in woodworking - unless I happen across a design for some speakers that can be built for less than $50 a side, I doubt I'll be building any for several years yet. (incase anyone reading is thinking "hey, I think I can help there", I'm basically thinking about some 5ish inch OB's with locally available drivers).

Hide this!Advertise here!