Newbie needs serious sub help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been reading through some DIY projects and thought I would try one myself. I have a very small budget so I figured I would use some speakers I have lying around the house since it would be my first project. When looking through my speakers I ran into a problem. I have heard that you cannot mix 4ohm with 8ohm speakers. Is this correct?
I would be using a Bose 2.75" tweeter(8 ohm), a Bose 6.5"mid/woofer(8 ohm), and a 12"SVC Cerwin Vega subwoofer(4 ohm). Is this a waste of time? Thanks for your help.

Um, lesse... if your amp is 8 ohms, then the two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, + the 4 ohm sub in series, will get a good impedance match.

In the real world, this probably won't work right, and something is telling me you'd need a capacitor across the sub (as opposed to a series inductor) to shunt higher frequencies away from it, and pour into the other speakers instead.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.