lightweight wood for cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all, in the throes of a project here, building a boombox for portable use.

was gonna use a sandwich material called gatorfoam, but i got the speakers today, and i fear it just wont be strong enough.
the speakers are coaxial beyma 8bx, theyre heavier than i anticipated, and the hf driver mounted on the rear means theyre centre of gravity is very far back, so there'll be a lot of strain on the baffle. (< i think i got that right? - the surface theyre mounted on)

so i guess my question is, are there any lightweight woods i could look at?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are plywoods that are very strong for their weight. Add some bracing where needed, and I can't imagine anything lighter for the money (or easier to work with). Try your average 1/4 inch stuff at the local home improvement center. Not (ahem) hi-fi, but light. You wanted light, right?

thanks for the replys. yeah i have some 1/4 inch plywood here. im hardcore tempted to use it. wood is such a nice material to work with. i just blew 100 euro on gatorboard... maybe i can use it for bracing.
Planet 10 do you have a photo of what you mean, i constructed something like that before but it was a lil dubious

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• cross-brace.gif
    cross-brace.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 307
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.